Harold Wilson 1974
    James Callaghan 1976
    Margaret Thatcher 1979
    John Major 1990
    Tony Blair 1997
    Gordon Brown 2007
    David Cameron 2010
    Theresa May 2016

Following on from the worst, p.m.'s listed are the p.m.'s during my lifetime, born in 61 so the 1st Wilson stint for me is not really of memory, my 1st real political awareness would be Callaghan (Big Jim as i remember him known by), for his election I assisted the local labour MP canvassing outside greenway junior school and went to a meeting at the said school at which he gave a speech, this was at the time of it kicking off with Big Daddy (Idi Amin), i would suggest that the Thatcher years have been the most divisive (now overtaken by Brexit). With my family being from Splott and Grangetown you could be nothing other than Labour leaning, both my grand fathers worked at east moors for the majority of their working lives, Strangely, one was an out and out Guinness drinking Tory who stood for the queen (when GSTQ came on the BBC at close), the other a teetotal Tory hating machine who went on poll tax marches in Cardiff.

I wouldn't choose to pick any of them, have never voted for a Tory at National or local elections but with a rifle pointed at me and having to pick one.

It would be Big Jim but for sentiment reasons only.

Consider myself now to be middle of the road, and would applaud a good policy from any party, but will never (unless something drastic changes) vote again. Incidentally, I now think there should be another Brexit vote but would not vote.

Re: Best PM Ever ?

Nigel Farage 2019

Blair until Iraq, loved his massive win nights over the Tories.

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Blair until Iraq, loved his massive win nights over the Tories.
    If you want to compere Blair's "In-power" wish list with what he actually achieved, and why, you could do a lot worse than read Peter Mandleson's book "The Third Man"
    It is often brutally honest and lights up the feud between Tony and Gordon and the stagnation and chaos it caused in what otherwise could easily have been the best labour government in history. (Blair's total attachment to Bush aside!)
    It is for this reason that I would put Brown way down any list of leaders. The one excellent thing he did as chancellor was keep us out of the Euro, but in reality he didn't do that for the country, he did it because it was the opposite of what Blair wanted. But he managed to balance this by selling off our gold reserves when the price was at it lowest that anyone could remember.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Harold Wilson 1964
    Edward Heath 1970
    Harold Wilson 1974
    James Callaghan 1976
    Margaret Thatcher 1979
    John Major 1990
    Tony Blair 1997
    Gordon Brown 2007
    David Cameron 2010
    Theresa May 2016

Following on from the worst, p.m.'s listed are the p.m.'s during my lifetime, born in 61 so the 1st Wilson stint for me is not really of memory, my 1st real political awareness would be Callaghan (Big Jim as i remember him known by), for his election I assisted the local labour MP canvassing outside greenway junior school and went to a meeting at the said school at which he gave a speech, this was at the time of it kicking off with Big Daddy (Idi Amin), i would suggest that the Thatcher years have been the most divisive (now overtaken by Brexit). With my family being from Splott and Grangetown you could be nothing other than Labour leaning, both my grand fathers worked at east moors for the majority of their working lives, Strangely, one was an out and out Guinness drinking Tory who stood for the queen (when GSTQ came on the BBC at close), the other a teetotal Tory hating machine who went on poll tax marches in Cardiff.

I wouldn't choose to pick any of them, have never voted for a Tory at National or local elections but with a rifle pointed at me and having to pick one.

It would be Big Jim but for sentiment reasons only.

Consider myself now to be middle of the road, and would applaud a good policy from any party, but will never (unless something drastic changes) vote again. Incidentally, I now think there should be another Brexit vote but would not vote.
    I can never think of Callaghan with out two pictures of him entering my head. One is of him watching from a 2 up 2 down terraced house bedroom window as the B Specials tear-gassed and fired rubber bullets at a Belfast demonstration for one man one vote, and the other is a document that used to be on the wall of a building I frequented for many years. It was an 'Order in Council' signed by James Callaghan, home Secretary, ordering the army onto the streets in northern Ireland to support that RUC "In an operation not expected to last for more than 6 months!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I can never think of Callaghan with out two pictures of him entering my head. One is of him watching from a 2 up 2 down terraced house bedroom window as the B Specials tear-gassed and fired rubber bullets at a Belfast demonstration for one man one vote, and the other is a document that used to be on the wall of a building I frequented for many years. It was an 'Order in Council' signed by James Callaghan, home Secretary, ordering the army onto the streets in northern Ireland to support that RUC "In an operation not expected to last for more than 6 months!!!!
    Wow how different life was then as a Labour movement , can't imagine the decesion to support the RUC being given in that way within the current climate of the Labour party if it was in power ,and the troubles appeared again .