+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jamille Matt (Newport County)

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Jamille Matt (Newport County)

Despite a mixed reaction to Newport on an earlier post, I was hoping that they could win against Tranmere.

I thoroughly enjoyed the evenly contested game and took note of the Newport centre forward Matt.

His hold up play was very assured, he was great in the air, worked the spaces well and but for some fine keeping and a stonewall penalty decision would probably have scored.

Couldn't help compare his strengths with Zohore.

Worth a punt?

Re: Jamille Matt (Newport County)

He's had one season in League 1, when he was shipped out on loan to League 2 Crawley and Plymouth. The rest have been at League 2 level or lower.

It might be that he's a very late bloomer, but at 29 and with an average scoring rate at League 2 level, I think the Championship would be totally beyond him.

Everytime I've seen him thought he looked good, however as the last reply states it's not like he is a youngster.

I think the step up to championship is a big one and you need to be really standing out to make it. Look at Bogle who was a league above and looking impressive.

Same thing with trundle who has some cult status as a real talent even though he was a league 1 player at best.

I must have watched a different player.

League 2 player at best.

We might as well have kept Bogle then ,as I see a similar level of player .

Neither are near Madine in my humble view.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    He's had one season in League 1, when he was shipped out on loan to League 2 Crawley and Plymouth. The rest have been at League 2 level or lower.

It might be that he's a very late bloomer, but at 29 and with an average scoring rate at League 2 level, I think the Championship would be totally beyond him.
    I reckon some managers from League 1 or the Championship will have taken note and Newport may find it difficult to keep hold of him if an offer comes in.

James Norwood (ex-FGR) scored 32 goals this season for Tranmere (aged 28). In my opinion he did not play as well as Jamille Matt yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    I reckon some managers from League 1 or the Championship will have taken note and Newport may find it difficult to keep hold of him if an offer comes in.

James Norwood (ex-FGR) scored 32 goals this season for Tranmere (aged 28). In my opinion he did not play as well as Jamille Matt yesterday.
    Watched it and all I took from Norwoods performance was that he was a right horrible cnut, constantly screaming at newport players, the ref and his own teammates! Tranmere also put what looked like a fat 50 year old on for the last half hour, the most unlikely looking player I've ever seen playing professionally.

You might be right about yesterday. However, I reckon that Norwood has had a far better season than Matt. I would also reckon that Norwood has been a better striker than Matt for a few seasons and might be a better bet if we're after a goalscorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Watched it and all I took from Norwoods performance was that he was a right horrible cnut, constantly screaming at newport players, the ref and his own teammates! Tranmere also put what looked like a fat 50 year old on for the last half hour, the most unlikely looking player I've ever seen playing professionally.
    That large chap has achieved a number of promotions with a number of clubs , and is a very young 35 ,he's just very big boned.

Steve McNulty to his mates ,don't upset him , if you see him out and about , he's sensitive about his look.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    That large chap has achieved a number of promotions with a number of clubs , and is a very young 35 ,he's just very big boned.

Steve McNulty to his mates ,don't upset him , if you see him out and about , he's sensitive about his look.
    _86202335_steve_mcnulty.jpg

Makes Jon Parkin look like Paula Radcliffe!

_86202335_steve_mcnulty.jpg

Makes Jon Parkin look like Paula Radcliffe!
    Would he get two Easyjet seats for himself, and two on board meals?

Absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

He looked like he was 55 not 35! The other player they brought on later, Nelson, was another who looked way out of condition. They both make Tomlin look trim and in shape in comparison.

You might be right about yesterday. However, I reckon that Norwood has had a far better season than Matt. I would also reckon that Norwood has been a better striker than Matt for a few seasons and might be a better bet if we're after a goalscorer.
    I watched the game, there wasn't a single player that I felt would enhance our squad. I thought the big left-back for Tranmere (#6?) was absolutely dreadful, he was like wood and had a terrible first touch (we'll probably be after him in the Summer now ).

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I watched the game, there wasn't a single player that I felt would enhance our squad. I thought the big left-back for Tranmere (#6?) was absolutely dreadful, he was like wood and had a terrible first touch (we'll probably be after him in the Summer now ).
    This.

The standard was terrible.

Jamille Matt is levels below Madine.

Eloquently put, but I concur.

Ipswich Town want him - feeling sorry for the Tractor Boys.

Nooooooooooooooooo!

Another gavin Gordon....looks good in league 2, or a madine in league 1

Despite a mixed reaction to Newport on an earlier post, I was hoping that they could win against Tranmere.

I thoroughly enjoyed the evenly contested game and took note of the Newport centre forward Matt.

His hold up play was very assured, he was great in the air, worked the spaces well and but for some fine keeping and a stonewall penalty decision would probably have scored.

Couldn't help compare his strengths with Zohore.

Worth a punt?
    I really think City need to splash out on this position with a better (and younger) prospect. Perhaps take a look into the EU leagues ?
    I still believe that, apart from a good midfield playmaker, I do not see where we need to sign 6 players.
    Bamba and Patterson were missing for most of the final games and once back, give us more options.
    I also think City should look to utilizing come in the right back role with Peltier as good cover.
    Bennet and Cunningham at left back and a midfield defense of 2 from Patterson, Ralls and Bacuna.
    With Mendez-Laing, Murphy and Reid behind a new striker I am not sure who Warnock intends to leave out to make way for 6 signings.
    We also have Zohore, Ward and Holiest as further cover.

An honest pro, and decent at the level he’s at, but no where good enough for the championship imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    He looked like he was 55 not 35! The other player they brought on later, Nelson, was another who looked way out of condition. They both make Tomlin look trim and in shape in comparison.
    To be fair, you are talking about league 2 players who didn't make the starting line up.