+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Morrissey's New Album

Re: Morrissey's New Album

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    Is "Listen to yourself" your go-to quip you sad, lonely old man? What a life.
    It is where you’re concerned. You don’t seem aware of just how stupid you sound while you’re telling people who were actually going to gigs, pubs and clubs during the Eighties what was happening back then. You evidently don’t have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    In fairness the 1 star review was given by a completely different person, the guy who wrote that article is still a big Morrissey fan.

What in there would you say isn't fair?
    There's no point arguing. Morrissey has developed a weird cult like following who refuse to accept the reality that he is racist

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It is where you’re concerned. You don’t seem aware of just how stupid you sound while you’re telling people who were actually going to gigs, pubs and clubs during the Eighties what was happening back then. You evidently don’t have a clue.
    Cool story that is to be fair. Write a blog about it or something.

In fairness the 1 star review was given by a completely different person, the guy who wrote that article is still a big Morrissey fan.

What in there would you say isn't fair?
    A different person writing for the same rag. It's all very speculative. There's been hundreds of people who've worked with him throughout the years - if he was actually racist they'd have come out and said he was, wouldn't they? It's all mis-quotes and speculation. He's sang songs that were anti racism etc. It's just stupid

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Bollocks.
    Bollocks indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Bollocks indeed.
    Another person unaware of YouTube, Spotify, Apple Music, a Broadway tour ...

A different person writing for the same rag. It's all very speculative. There's been hundreds of people who've worked with him throughout the years - if he was actually racist they'd have come out and said he was, wouldn't they? It's all mis-quotes and speculation. He's sang songs that were anti racism etc. It's just stupid
    Which bit is speculative?

The guardian isn’t a rag it’s the most one of the most trusted papers in the country - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...aper-r0tr7zfmz

Which bit is speculative?

The guardian isn’t a rag it’s the most one of the most trusted papers in the country - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...aper-r0tr7zfmz
    Literally most of it.

I don't trust any print media. They all have their agendas.

There are literally direct quotes in there though. Which bits specifically do you think are rubbish?

I don’t get why people are so desperate to stick up for people who’s music they like, you can enjoy his music even if he is a prick. It was the same in the MJ peado thread.

You can like the Smiths and think Morrissey's a prick

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    You can like the Smiths and think Morrissey's a prick
    I'm aware of that. Perhaps I've been hypnotised by his music, I don't know. I don't think he's a great person and I can guarantee he doesn't either. He talks about himself very poorly, I think he's very sick as someone whose suffered with depression their whole life would be. I just don't believe he's racist. He might not be a great person (as some have said) but racist I think not.

Another person unaware of YouTube, Spotify, Apple Music, a Broadway tour ...
    You think I'm unaware that Morrissey played a few nights at the Lunt Fontane theater? Which is on 46th Street by the way.

You weren't around in the 80s so you have no idea how big The Smiths were. And obviously no idea how big Morrissey was. Look how many hits Suedehead has on YouTube.

You think I'm unaware that Morrissey played a few nights at the Lunt Fontane theater? Which is on 46th Street by the way.

You weren't around in the 80s so you have no idea how big The Smiths were. And obviously no idea how big Morrissey was. Look how many hits Suedehead has on YouTube.
    My favourite Morrissey video

I have nowhere near the amount of knowledge as someone who lived it, obviously. But to say I have NO IDEA is a bit harsh. Does a historian have absolutely no idea about the topic they choose to study?

I know that the Smiths weren't commercially as successful as people like to think in the 80s, mainly due to the shortfalls of being on the Rough Trade label who underestimated their appeal, causing to not manufacture enough records that they were capable of selling. Their success and cult following came a lot later after they split.

Morrissey is absolutely much more successful in America than he is the UK, due to people not caring about his political views. There's even a Morrissey Day in LA, and he's able to sell out the Hollywood Bowl even in middle age.

I wouldn't downplay how successful his Broadway show is (which you clearly know about being an NY resident). The simple fact he is popular enough now at his age after all these years to even do that marks just how much of a following he still has. Regardless of the tripe the Guardian and Independent decide to put out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    My favourite Morrissey video

This is mine

https://youtu.be/sbUP-Jo92qE

I have nowhere near the amount of knowledge as someone who lived it, obviously. But to say I have NO IDEA is a bit harsh. Does a historian have absolutely no idea about the topic they choose to study?

I know that the Smiths weren't commercially as successful as people like to think in the 80s, mainly due to the shortfalls of being on the Rough Trade label who underestimated their appeal, causing to not manufacture enough records that they were capable of selling. Their success and cult following came a lot later after they split.

Morrissey is absolutely much more successful in America than he is the UK, due to people not caring about his political views. There's even a Morrissey Day in LA, and he's able to sell out the Hollywood Bowl even in middle age.

I wouldn't downplay how successful his Broadway show is (which you clearly know about being an NY resident). The simple fact he is popular enough now at his age after all these years to even do that marks just how much of a following he still has. Regardless of the tripe the Guardian and Independent decide to put out.
    He's a popular artist. But it's more of a cult thing these days. I just found online that between 1992 and 2007 the Smiths actually outsold Morrissey. (very slightly) I'm trying to find out how many copies Viva Hate sold but have been unable to so far. I wouldn't be surprised if it made up at least 25% of his post Smiths sales. I love the Smiths, but I elected to see Johnny Marr the week Morrissey had his residency. He played 7 Smiths songs and 2 Electronic songs. It was a fantastic night. Have you ever checked out setlist.fm? Morrissey's set looked a little disappointing to me.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/morri...-6b90a682.html

I'd have had no problem walking out after song 7.

He's a popular artist. But it's more of a cult thing these days. I just found online that between 1992 and 2007 the Smiths actually outsold Morrissey. (very slightly) I'm trying to find out how many copies Viva Hate sold but have been unable to so far. I wouldn't be surprised if it made up at least 25% of his post Smiths sales. I love the Smiths, but I elected to see Johnny Marr the week Morrissey had his residency. He played 7 Smiths songs and 2 Electronic songs. It was a fantastic night. Have you ever checked out setlist.fm? Morrissey's set looked a little disappointing to me.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/morri...-6b90a682.html

I'd have had no problem walking out after song 7.
    I'm pretty die hard so would be singing along to the majority of those.

considering the hate and smear campaign the last week the album has gone straight into number 1 in the UK vinyl charts and number 4 in the official charts what an achievement

that 's a top 5 album in his 20,s , 30,s , 40,s ,50,s and now 60,s in the UK

and a message direct from the man himself

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/mes...chart-position

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    considering the hate and smear campaign the last week the album has gone straight into number 1 in the UK vinyl charts and number 4 in the official charts what an achievement

Superb.
    He’s never “lost it”.
    The greatest lyricist this country has ever seen.

The man is a god I'd have him head up Brexit

I had the Guardian delivered to my door for 10 years during the Blair years, but I realised they are nothing more than a propaganda outfit and change agents. Look how they attacked Corbyn because he wasn't the establishment Labour candidate. Anybody who thinks they are a left-leaning news organisation would be very badly mistaken. Do not let them get inside your brain

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I had the Guardian delivered to my door for 10 years during the Blair years, but I realised they are a propaganda outfit and agents for change. Look how they attacked Corbyn because he wasn't the establishment Labour candidate. Anybody who thinks they are a left-leaning news organisation would be very mistaken.
    There was someone selling the complete collection of the Smiths Vinyl LP's on FB this morning £80.0 job lot.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The man is a god I'd have him head up Brexit
    ^^^ this^^^ Album rocks. Down with the Guardian!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    There was someone selling the complete collection of the Smiths Vinyl LP's on FB this morning £80.0 job lot.
    Isit just their 4 albums?
    About £20 a pop is the going rate I’d say so £80 makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Isit just their 4 albums?
    About £20 a pop is the going rate I’d say so £80 makes sense.
    I'm not a smifs fan so not sure what albums but it looked about 6-8 in the list

Albums are
    The Smith's
    Hateful of Hollow
    Meat is Murder
    The Queen is Dead
    The World won't Listen
    Louder than Bombs
    Strangeways here we come
    Rank
    Attached Images Attached Images