+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How long would the average game take

How long would the average game take

If the clock stopped, every time the game stopped.
    Time wasting really grinds my gears. Villa were a prime example today. Keeper wasting time, players going down with cramp and fake injuries. Stopping the clock every time would see an end to it.
    Only downside being fans need to catch transport home. Really pisses me off though.

Re: How long would the average game take

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    If the clock stopped, every time the game stopped.
    Time wasting really grinds my gears. Villa were a prime example today. Keeper wasting time, players going down with cramp and fake injuries. Stopping the clock every time would see an end to it.
    Only downside being fans need to catch transport home. Really pisses me off though.
    And Dean Smith was the first one to moan when we applied similar tactics against his Brentford teams.

International

If they only stopped the clock when the ball was either out of play ie, when in touch/behind awaiting a corner/goal kick, and between a foul and a free kick/penalty it would probably nearly double the actual time played. I think in one match in the Prem this season the ball was only actually in play for about 30 or 40 minutes. The average is just over 45 minutes I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    If they only stopped the clock when the ball was either out of play ie, when in touch/behind awaiting a corner/goal kick, and between a foul and a free kick/penalty it would probably nearly double the actual time played. I think in one match in the Prem this season the ball was only actually in play for about 30 or 40 minutes. The average is just over 45 minutes I believe.
    I kinda thought that would be the rough figures for the ball being live. I know time wasting works both ways, but it can be frustrating. I’ve no problem with taking the ball to the corner, but keepers catching the ball, then going down and staying down, then taking an age to play it out again does my nut in.
    Amazing as well how the team attacking and needing a goal rarely have players going down with cramp 😁

Not that it’ll affect us this season, but I would say the clock should be stopped for this stupid VAR nonsense!!!!

You only have to look at american sports to see how long games take when the timer is based on actual playing time.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Imagine having 20 or 30 minutes added on time!

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Imagine having 20 or 30 minutes added on time!
    In each half!

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Rugby seems to have a decent system.

Perhaps if players / managers knew that the time wasting tactics could not work then a lot of fans would be happier.

Any rugby fans on here who could comment?

Of course what you would actually do in practice if you stopped the clock every time the ball went out of play etc, then you'd reduce the actual playing time to say 30 minutes per half

A time keeper would solve a lot of this time wasting.

Time wasting is a part of the game though. The only part that annoys me is fake injuries. I have no problem with slowing the game down, passing it about, the keeper taking his time etc.