+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Time for sense at UEFA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Time for sense at UEFA

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Why is it an issue for Chelsea and Arsenal but wouldn't be for a multitude of other clubs? Are Wolves, Leicester, Newcastle fans a bit more special than Arsenal and Chelsea fans?
    I agree other fans would find the distance less of an issue but I'm saying having a final so far away and in a city with no real football herritage just because it's oil rich isn't an ideal situation. Just because the fans of clubs who have fewer cup finals would attend in droves doesn't mean it's an ideal situation does it?

Re: Time for sense at UEFA

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I agree other fans would find the distance less of an issue but I'm saying having a final so far away and in a city with no real football herritage just because it's oil rich isn't an ideal situation. Just because the fans of clubs who have fewer cup finals would attend in droves doesn't mean it's an ideal situation does it?
    The country has only existed for less than 30 years. Even then one of their stadiums is named after one of the linesmen of the 1966 World Cup Final who was a local (The one who said "that" goal was a goal). So, apart from that, they haven't really had much time to develop a "real football heritage". The distance of travel is immaterial, every club that enters the competition knows that the venue could be anywhere in the UEFA area. The competition is already loaded towards the richer Associations, its about time some of the smaller Associations were given the opportunity. Personally, I don't see the problem. If Cardiff City were in one of the finals, I would drop everything to be there, much like many of us did when Wales were in the Euros in France.