+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The BBC licence fee

Re: The BBC licence fee

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You probably will find most of it to be rubbish, because the BBC will cater for areas of small interest as well as general interest. I find absolutely everything on ITV to be rubbish because it only goes for a broad range.

So yeah, I agree that most stuff on the BBC is rubbish but it's worth it for the few things that I do really like that would never get made by other channels.
    True. Probably watch more BBC 4 than any other channel - except sports channels..

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    They don't get any of this for free though, do they? It has to be paid for.
    True, but the BBC is always lauded as producing quality programs when often they're made by independents..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    True, but the BBC is always lauded as producing quality programs when often they're made by independents..
    Are we talking about commissions or just purchasing programmes? Huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You probably will find most of it to be rubbish, because the BBC will cater for areas of small interest as well as general interest. I find absolutely everything on ITV to be rubbish because it only goes for a broad range.
    Why do you even bother watching terrestrial television? I've avoided it for many years and don't miss any of it.

First Team

I'd suggest that most of 'everything the BBC produces' is utter rubbish. Most documentaries/factuals/dramas are made outside of the BBC. Probably the News content but that's getting trivialised and is almost like children's Newsround was a couple of decades ago.

Best thing I'm watching on BBC is What we do in the Shadows, but again, not the BBC's own work, an American import.

The BBC gets nearly £4 billion every year from us..
    You can choose not to watch/pay.

What's curious about what you say is I would say the BBC is considered to be the leader by other TV companies across the planet in current affairs, drama, factual programs and even entertainment. And it is incredibly efficient in what it produces. It beats Sky/Fox, Amazon and Netflix etc by a mile in terms of content produced per $1 spent. I actually think the 4B BGP is very cheap.

I'm guessing you've never lived in a country without an equivalent of the BBC? There aren't many things at the moment that make you proud to be from the UK, the BBC is absolutely one of them.

BTW bias? My arse. I once read a quote from Bin Laden saying the only news he listened to on his radio in his cave was the World Service because it was unbiased.

First Team

It's cheaper that way. The BBC commissions many of them though.

Without wishing to sound like a certain 'Not The Nine O#clock News' sketch on the subject I feel privileged to be a Radio 4 listener. Beyond the likes of Gardener's Question Time there are very educational programmes on history, politics, geography, art, economics philosophy, intelligent interviews with people of all descriptions and a wide array, dramas and a plethora of other sujbects.

And I even like a bit of the old tum-tee-tum-tee-tum-tee tum, if you know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I'm one of the BBC's biggest fans and would gleefully pay triple what the current licence fee is to ensure I get to read and watch its unrivalled news whose veracity is beyond reproach.

Its entertainment output is also superb. Soufflés would begin collapsing the length and breadth of Blighty but for the guidance offered by their wonderful cooking programmes.

Who can forget classic shows the like of Terry and June, Are You Being Served? and Cheggers Plays Pop which were all produced by everyone's favourite TV channel.

PS I'm getting sucked off with Alwaysaway's constant moaning. Is he a wino?
    Pro Europe & remain news!

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I'm one of the BBC's biggest fans and would gleefully pay triple what the current licence fee is to ensure I get to read and watch its unrivalled news whose veracity is beyond reproach.

Its entertainment output is also superb. Soufflés would begin collapsing the length and breadth of Blighty but for the guidance offered by their wonderful cooking programmes.

Who can forget classic shows the like of Terry and June, Are You Being Served? and Cheggers Plays Pop which were all produced by everyone's favourite TV channel.

PS I'm getting sucked off with Alwaysaway's constant moaning. Is he a wino?
    Do you mind paying mine then?