+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The BBC licence fee

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The BBC licence fee

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I'd suggest that most of 'everything the BBC produces' is utter rubbish. Most documentaries/factuals/dramas are made outside of the BBC. Probably the News content but that's getting trivialised and is almost like children's Newsround was a couple of decades ago.

Best thing I'm watching on BBC is What we do in the Shadows, but again, not the BBC's own work, an American import.

The BBC gets nearly £4 billion every year from us..
    They don't get any of this for free though, do they? It has to be paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    They don't get any of this for free though, do they? It has to be paid for.
    True, but the BBC is always lauded as producing quality programs when often they're made by independents..

True, but the BBC is always lauded as producing quality programs when often they're made by independents..
    Are we talking about commissions or just purchasing programmes? Huge difference.

First Team

It's cheaper that way. The BBC commissions many of them though.

First Team

I'd suggest that most of 'everything the BBC produces' is utter rubbish. Most documentaries/factuals/dramas are made outside of the BBC. Probably the News content but that's getting trivialised and is almost like children's Newsround was a couple of decades ago.

Best thing I'm watching on BBC is What we do in the Shadows, but again, not the BBC's own work, an American import.

The BBC gets nearly £4 billion every year from us..
    You can choose not to watch/pay.

What's curious about what you say is I would say the BBC is considered to be the leader by other TV companies across the planet in current affairs, drama, factual programs and even entertainment. And it is incredibly efficient in what it produces. It beats Sky/Fox, Amazon and Netflix etc by a mile in terms of content produced per $1 spent. I actually think the 4B BGP is very cheap.

I'm guessing you've never lived in a country without an equivalent of the BBC? There aren't many things at the moment that make you proud to be from the UK, the BBC is absolutely one of them.

BTW bias? My arse. I once read a quote from Bin Laden saying the only news he listened to on his radio in his cave was the World Service because it was unbiased.

The BBC gets nearly £4 billion every year from us..[/QUOTE]

TV advertising revenue was £5.11 billion last year, all paid for by us. I know what’s the better deal, it’s definitely the licence fee.

Sweden recently did away with its license fee and put a few more pennies on the tax.
    Much better imo

At least our money is being put to good use..

Without wishing to sound like a certain 'Not The Nine O#clock News' sketch on the subject I feel privileged to be a Radio 4 listener. Beyond the likes of Gardener's Question Time there are very educational programmes on history, politics, geography, art, economics philosophy, intelligent interviews with people of all descriptions and a wide array, dramas and a plethora of other sujbects.

And I even like a bit of the old tum-tee-tum-tee-tum-tee tum, if you know what I mean