+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M4 Relief Road in Newport....

Re: M4 Relief Road in Newport....

I worked in Bristol for three years and it is an absolute nightmare, then I would have wanted the road built at any cost.

Now I work there occsionally once a week at most, and I can travel avoiding peak times, and I am happy for it not to be built, as it sounds a lot of money for what it is.

Like everything it's very important for the minority but they will feel very let down and annoyed if the improvements are not to go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They should just build a bridge or barrage over the Severn connecting Cardiff and Bristol. Power for all, no more traffic. 20 mins from one centre to other. Happy days
    That would be a great solution, maybe one day it will happen, more for the natural power I would imagine rather than allowing cars easy access, maybe a direct rail link back and fore?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    On Mars maybe, but there isn't a political party or organization that doesn't accept the complete opposite :

The UK pays more into the EU budget than it gets back.

In 2017 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was forecast to be £4 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at nearly £9 billion.

Each year the UK gets a discount on its contributions to the EU—the ‘rebate’—worth about £5.6 billion last year. Without it the UK would have been liable for £18.6 billion in contributions
    So, for each pound spent on membership of the European Union, roughly how much is that worth to the British economy in terms of having a free trade deal with the EU? Why do you think prosperous countries like Switzerland and Norway, while choosing not to be members of the EU, are happy to part with lots of wonga to have good trade deals with the EU? Not even Norway and Switzerland think it's a good idea to have a complete break from the EU and no trade deals.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That should mean that I would be getting this done by the UK Government if/when we leave the EU then, that's the Government which has been banging on about the need for austerity for the best part of the last decade.
    That is also the Government that has flatly refused to match EU funding in poorer areas of the UK.

Scheme has been scrapped by Drakeford.

The number of crashes and road rage incesnts on the stretch from St Mellons to the bridge is unbelievable, people are so stressed trying to get to work it's unbelievable, it will only get worse!

From what I have heard today it implies that the road would go right through the heart of the wetlands but looking at the map of the proposed development (link: http://www.m4newport.com/assets/pref...ntext-plan.pdf) it does nothing of the kind - it skirts the northern edge of the wetlands and a significant chunk of the route is not in the wetland area at all.

I’ve always been of the opinion that simply only allowing lorries to travel at night would solve a large portion of the problem.

Also allowing undertaking as in America , thus reducing the need for lane hopping and a sensible speed limit strictly informed to allow steady flow of traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I’ve always been of the opinion that simply only allowing lorries to travel at night would solve a large portion of the problem.

Also allowing undertaking as in America , thus reducing the need for lane hopping and a sensible speed limit strictly informed to allow steady flow of traffic.
    I love the undertaking rule in America, I simply perch myself in a lane set cruise control to match car in front and off you go. I remember doing a 7 hour stretch once without having to touch pedals or change lane, was bliss

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I love the undertaking rule in America, I simply perch myself in a lane set cruise control to match car in front and off you go. I remember doing a 7 hour stretch once without having to touch pedals or change lane, was bliss
    Exactly. Once adapative cruise control becomes the norm or even driverless cars , then the problem will solve itself. It’s not the number of cars on the road. It’s the way they are driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Exactly. Once adapative cruise control becomes the norm or even driverless cars , then the problem will solve itself. It’s not the number of cars on the road. It’s the way they are driven.
    The, sometimes, petty restrictions aren’t helpful either. 50mph at 2am on an empty motorway for example, ridiculous.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-w...itics-48498713
    The first minister is a fecking idiot.
    His only reason for not going ahead was because of the environmental impact.
    What does he think having hours of gridlock will do to the environment?
    If he had made up his mind, without taking into account the findings of the enquiry, why spend £44 million on the enquiry?
    Why not have a couple of meetings with some intelligent people at a cost of around £10,000 to decide what other possible alternatives are there, if he's dead set against the proposal that he's scrapped.
    The man is a complete and utter idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-w...itics-48498713
    The first minister is a fecking idiot.
    His only reason for not going ahead was because of the environmental impact.
    What does he think having hours of gridlock will do to the environment?
    If he had made up his mind, without taking into account the findings of the enquiry, why spend £44 million on the enquiry?
    Why not have a couple of meetings with some intelligent people at a cost of around £10,000 to decide what other possible alternatives are there, if he's dead set against the proposal that he's scrapped.
    The man is a complete and utter idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If the economic impact studies I've seen are correct then it is absolutely the right call not to proceed with the plan.

For £1bn (which could easily rise) it predicted it would bring an extra £30million a year into the economy (of which £24 million in Wales). It just isn't worth it.
    There must be many more projects that could pay back much better than that.

An easier and simpler solution would be to close some of the motorway on ramps at junctions 25, 26 and 27, to prevent local traffic from using the motorway. At the moment people going from one side of Newport to the other nip onto the M4 and off again 1 junction later. This is the cause of much of the congestion.
    It is ridiculous that a town the size of Newport has like 5 junctions.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    On Mars maybe, but there isn't a political party or organization that doesn't accept the complete opposite :

The UK pays more into the EU budget than it gets back.

In 2017 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was forecast to be £4 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at nearly £9 billion.

Each year the UK gets a discount on its contributions to the EU—the ‘rebate’—worth about £5.6 billion last year. Without it the UK would have been liable for £18.6 billion in contributions
    Though I wouldn't dispute what you say but that vision of Boris and that big red bus comes to mind.Would the UK government match the EU spending on Wales and other deprived areas of the UK.Who knows the future but history tells you it wouldn't.And of course your statement does not take into account the billions in trading profits this country currently enjoys let alone the tax revenue as well.Much,much more than your 9b net contribution.

Just a few ideas they could consider

Reduce or get rid of the ridiculously long filter lanes which only encourage bad driving with people cutting back in.
    Put average speed cameras in covering before the Coldra to after Junction 28, set at 60.
    Reduce the number of junctions
    Encourage more use of the southern distributor
    Make the existing motorway 3 lanes as much as possible (dont know if a widening of the Brynglas tunnels is at all possible?)
    Install train stations at Celtic Springs and near the Stats office

Drakeford has said that cost was not the main issue - he cites environmental issues.

Environmental issues? By the time its built (20 years maybe?), practically all cars will be electric. This could have brought the biggest boost to the Welsh (mainly south Wales) people in generations. The people running this country have no idea what they are doing...

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They should just build a bridge or barrage over the Severn connecting Cardiff and Bristol. Power for all, no more traffic. 20 mins from one centre to other. Happy days
    This was proposed 30 years ago.
    At the time it was estimated it would produce 7% of the UKs electricity.

Rejected due to finance with ridiculous forecasts for cost of capital and future electricity prices.

Probably would have actually paid for itself time and time again now

Our politicians have no thought beyond the next 3 years and no vision.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Just a few ideas they could consider

Reduce or get rid of the ridiculously long filter lanes which only encourage bad driving with people cutting back in.
    Put average speed cameras in covering before the Coldra to after Junction 28, set at 60.
    Reduce the number of junctions
    Encourage more use of the southern distributor
    Make the existing motorway 3 lanes as much as possible (dont know if a widening of the Brynglas tunnels is at all possible?)
    Install train stations at Celtic Springs and near the Stats office
    Widening Brynglas tunnels is not an option, otherwise that would have been done in the first place

My main issue with today's announcement is no plan b just more meetings and more studies plus wasted time and money. A decent alternative to the M4 around Newport is desperately needed and the Southern Distributor is not a suitable alternative. Any alternatives needs to be a continuous road free of roundabouts and traffic lights.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    .Would the UK government match the EU spending on Wales and other deprived areas of the UK.Who knows the future but history tells you it wouldn't
    Yep, it will be the end of nice new roads/play areas/research projects and much more in places who don't traditionally vote for the party currently in charge.

Add in the fact that a new shiny government body will need to be put in place to manage ,allocate and administrate that funding and any savings made disappear very, very quickly, but at least we took back 'control' eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    That would be brilliant
    It makes so much sense they would never do it......12 miles of barrage on the 2nd biggest tidal range in the world, in and out twice a day, no need to even notice Newport anymore.....

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    My main issue with today's announcement is no plan b just more meetings and more studies plus wasted time and money. A decent alternative to the M4 around Newport is desperately needed and the Southern Distributor is not a suitable alternative. Any alternatives needs to be a continuous road free of roundabouts and traffic lights.
    I’ve sorted it, I’m drawing up the plans now as we speak. I wasn’t greedy, a cool 8 million and they can have all my drawings on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    This was proposed 30 years ago.
    At the time it was estimated it would produce 7% of the UKs electricity.

Rejected due to finance with ridiculous forecasts for cost of capital and future electricity prices.

Probably would have actually paid for itself time and time again now

Our politicians have no thought beyond the next 3 years and no vision.
    Aw, be fair, it can stretch to four or five years depending on when the next election is due.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Aw, be fair, it can stretch to four or five years depending on when the next election is due.
    👍