Thread: buying a new car or PCP

buying a new car or PCP

Opinions please

Re: buying a new car or PCP

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Opinions please
    Not a fan of Angel Dust myself.....

Theres actually quite a good thread about this on Planet Swans that I came across whilst having a nose on their site recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Theres actually quite a good thread about this on Planet Swans that I came across whilst having a nose on their site recently.
    Except it was for caravans. 🙄

My current car is by a PCP deal, it's OK for me, when my 3 years is up (14 months), I have already saved the final payment and will settle up, the down side would be, if you do not have the final payment at the end of the deal, you are effectively tied to the manufacturer if you want another new car. This might be BS as I've not looked at it that closely as i will just give them the 5k that i will owe, I will ask Honda how much they will give me PX before i pay Kia up, as i fancy a leccy Honda next time, I had 12,00 miles p/a and keep within this quite easily, I did include the servicing when taking the deal so it's basically £35 a week petrol to run and maybe a few tyres over the three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    My current car is by a PCP deal, it's OK for me, when my 3 years is up (14 months), I have already saved the final payment and will settle up, the down side would be, if you do not have the final payment at the end of the deal, you are effectively tied to the manufacturer if you want another new car. This might be BS as I've not looked at it that closely as i will just give them the 5k that i will owe, I will ask Honda how much they will give me PX before i pay Kia up, as i fancy a leccy Honda next time, I had 12,00 miles p/a and keep within this quite easily, I did include the servicing when taking the deal so it's basically £35 a week petrol to run and maybe a few tyres over the three years.
    I have a Similar deal on a vw Tiguan, 200 a month for 3 years then about 5k at the end. You could owe them the 5 as you say and carry on with another newer car but I can’t be bothered, only done 14000 now and is still the newest motor I’ve ever had. Heard quite a few people just lease a car now, get a new golf for £150 a month, never own it but never have a bill or mot or anything.....

Yes I used PCP Seat Ibiza.Never done it before.will see how it goes

Yes I used PCP in a Seat Ibiza.Never done it before.will see how it goes
    FYP

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I have a Similar deal on a vw Tiguan, 200 a month for 3 years then about 5k at the end. You could owe them the 5 as you say and carry on with another newer car but I can’t be bothered, only done 14000 now and is still the newest motor I’ve ever had. Heard quite a few people just lease a car now, get a new golf for £150 a month, never own it but never have a bill or mot or anything.....
    Is there a big deposit on that as well ?

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    Is there a big deposit on that as well ?
    About 4K.....I’ll pay about 18 fir the car, prob a grand or so more than it’s worth but it was practically brand new, still under warranty and I still get free service under the plan. I couldn’t find one anywhere with such small mileage for the price.

About 4K.....I’ll pay about 18 fir the car, prob a grand or so more than it’s worth but it was practically brand new, still under warranty and I still get free service under the plan. I couldn’t find one anywhere with such small mileage for the price.
    👍

Opinions please
    PCP - Personal contract purchase ...... Low deposit, lower monthly installments with a GFV (balloon/final payment at the end)
    lower monthly installments as you don't pay any interest on the GFV (guaranteed future value)
    available over 24/36/48 months

3 final options
    1) Pay off GFV and keep the car (lump sum or re-finance)
    2) Hand the car back to finance company
    3) Trade car in for a new car using any equity as a deposit

CS/HP (conditional sale/Hire Purchase)

Any deposit you want, Higher monthly installments, after last payment you own the car outright (Interest on entire amount financed)

0% Interest - New vehicles

Purchase price divided by term you want 24/60 months - Interest FREE

Let me know if you have any further questions as I work in the industry

If you went to buy a house and the estate agent said it would be worth 40% of what u pay for it after 5 years, would you buy it ? or lease it ?

Lease every time.

if you can get a bank loan thats the way to go save a fortune in interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    If you went to buy a house and the estate agent said it would be worth 40% of what u pay for it after 5 years, would you buy it ? or lease it ?

Lease every time.
    Not on a used car?

I think leasing is getting closer but there is always a premium if you want to drive a brand new shiny car!

Very true , its different for a used car as the car has already depreciated quite a bit. I found however that the interest rates offered on finance for used cars, pushed the price up to almost what you could lease a new one for. Motorpoint in particular was around 11% !

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Very true , its different for a used car as the car has already depreciated quite a bit. I found however that the interest rates offered on finance for used cars, pushed the price
    up to almost what you could lease a new one for. Motorpoint in particular was around 11% !
    That makes a big difference!

Out of interest does anyone know the best leasing companies?

This one looks good, but are there better?

https://www.contractcars.com

It probably is even better if done through a business where it can count as a business expense and you can offset the vat.

You could negotiate a new deal on the same car.
    My son has just done so on his A3. 4 year deal at its end. New 2 year deal. Lower cost per month.

The costs generally work out the same!
    Buying a six month old, low mileage vehicle can be a better deal.
    Buying a 3-5 year old, reasonable mileage, in good nick and keeping it for several years is probably the best way.

I've been considering leasing my next car, but I'm put off by the mileage limits. I do 350 miles a week just back and fore to work. Then there's the "domestic mileage". I'm averaging about 20k a year. It seems that mileage like that pushes the lease costs up quite considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    The costs generally work out the same!
    Buying a six month old, low mileage vehicle can be a better deal.
    Buying a 3-5 year old, reasonable mileage, in good nick and keeping it for several years is probably the best way.
    Agreed