+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ross McCormack is to leave the Villa after signing a variation agreement.

Ross McCormack is to leave the Villa after signing a variation agreement.

Whatever that is

Re: Ross McCormack is to leave the Villa after signing a variation agreement.

I'm going to take a wild guess here and suggest that the player has agreed to a variation in his contract which means he will leave the club a year early in return for a cash sum.

Makes our signings of Cornelius and Madine look like great deals.

What a waste of talent cant believe he was still at Villa,just read this on his wiki page

Ross McCormack (born 18 August 1986) is an overweight Scottish professional footballer who is a free agent, after his contract with Aston Villa was ended early.

He also tries to play for the Scotland national team, if he can make it over his 5 foot gate.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    What a waste of talent cant believe he was still at Villa,just read this on his wiki page

Ross McCormack (born 18 August 1986) is an overweight Scottish professional footballer who is a free agent, after his contract with Aston Villa was ended early.

He also tries to play for the Scotland national team, if he can make it over his 5 foot gate.
    Must be some sort of lock in, or out, clause in the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Must be some sort of lock in, or out, clause in the contract.
    Didn't Steve Bruce vault his fence when Ross said he was locked un ??

Sad in many ways. Was a very good player for us who got forced out when Chopra returned, not that he had done anything to deserve that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Sad in many ways. Was a very good player for us who got forced out when Chopra returned, not that he had done anything to deserve that.
    He got shoved out on the wing where he did well up to a point but as you say, Jones went with Chopra which I thought at the time was a mistake.

Great player on his day but went to Villa for far too much money.
    I will always have fond memories of his time here.

Was widely regarded as the best player in the Championship when he made the move to Villa, but, despite all of his goals, Fulham were always struggling while he was there. From a distance, it looks like the only motivation on his part behind the move to Villa was money and, from a football viewpoint, the last few years of his career have been a waste of time, but I'll always argue his corner because I remember how good he was when he first came here. I agree he should never have been second choice to a Michael Chopra who was a shadow of the player he was in his first spell for us, but, despite Chops having fairly obvious problems maintaining his prime fitness, Dave Jones, like a few other of McCormack's later managers, did not seem to have full trust in him.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Was widely regarded as the best player in the Championship when he made the move to Villa, but, despite all of his goals, Fulham were always struggling while he was there. From a distance, it looks like the only motivation on his part behind the move to Villa was money and, from a football viewpoint, the last few years of his career have been a waste of time, but I'll always argue his corner because I remember how good he was when he first came here. I agree he should never have been second choice to a Michael Chopra who was a shadow of the player he was in his first spell for us, but, despite Chops having fairly obvious problems maintaining his prime fitness, Dave Jones, like a few other of McCormack's later managers, did not seem to have full trust in him.
    Quite interesting to note that, after he left us, he would score near enough 20 goals a season in 4 of his next 6 campaigns. His goals arguably kept Fulham up. Fulham finished 17th and 20th in the two seasons he was there; their 20th placed finish was down to having the 3rd worst defence in the division that season despite having one of the best attacks. Not sure his move to Villa was about money, either. Villa had just been relegated from the Premier League while Fulham were making no suggestions that they might manage a top half finish. As it was, they made the playoffs, Villa finished below us in the bottom half and McCormack had made the wrong choice.

Quite interesting to note that, after he left us, he would score near enough 20 goals a season in 4 of his next 6 campaigns. His goals arguably kept Fulham up. Fulham finished 17th and 20th in the two seasons he was there; their 20th placed finish was down to having the 3rd worst defence in the division that season despite having one of the best attacks. Not sure his move to Villa was about money, either. Villa had just been relegated from the Premier League while Fulham were making no suggestions that they might manage a top half finish. As it was, they made the playoffs, Villa finished below us in the bottom half and McCormack had made the wrong choice.
    In 15/16, Fulham had Moussa Dembele (17 goals) and McCormack (21 goals) up front, and finished 20th! Incredible! Obviously, Dembele was always going to kick on but in 3 seasons it's remarkable how far their fortunes have changed.

McCormack's level of performance at Villa was a long way short of what he managed with us, Leeds and Fulham - the whole of his time at Villa has been indicative of someone who had got his big payday and knew that he and his family were set up for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    In 15/16, Fulham had Moussa Dembele (17 goals) and McCormack (21 goals) up front, and finished 20th! Incredible! Obviously, Dembele was always going to kick on but in 3 seasons it's remarkable how far their fortunes have changed.
    That is an unbelievable statistic! A partnership of 38 goals and finish in lowly 20th!!

Perhaps we could resign Ross.Then send Tomlin and Ross to bootcamp

I do not remember the McCormacks time at this club as fondly as others on this thread. His first season was electric he looked a superb player, then at the end of the season we had a saga with him keen to force through a transfer to Hull City and he started the next season a little out of shape.

When we signed Chopra half way through the following season we needed a forward we were a bare bones at the time and to worry about facing competition when there were only 3 forwards at the club shows a little bit of the mentality that has followed his career through the years. We also saw the off the field trouble.

I remember an early season game where Jones played a 4-3-3 and it was a brilliant with the 3 forward players linking up well. It didn't last long because Ross attitude didn't allow it. All in All a brilliant player when everything was going his way, prone to fall apart when it wasnt.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    I do not remember the McCormacks time at this club as fondly as others on this thread. His first season was electric he looked a superb player, then at the end of the season we had a saga with him keen to force through a transfer to Hull City and he started the next season a little out of shape.

When we signed Chopra half way through the following season we needed a forward we were a bare bones at the time and to worry about facing competition when there were only 3 forwards at the club shows a little bit of the mentality that has followed his career through the years. We also saw the off the field trouble.

I remember an early season game where Jones played a 4-3-3 and it was a brilliant with the 3 forward players linking up well. It didn't last long because Ross attitude didn't allow it. All in All a brilliant player when everything was going his way, prone to fall apart when it wasnt.
    I think it was more that Jones much preferred his 4-4-2 and McCormack was demoted as a striker. That front 3 could have been lethal and would have built up an understanding that meant we could have coped with Bothroyd was out (eg playoff final).

I remember us playing Doncaster at home, when Bellamy scored his first City goal. We were awful for half an hour, struggling to cope with their 3 man centre midfield (as we often did struggle). Chopra went off injured, and without a replacement forward we brought on Burke to play wide and dropped Whitts into a central position, switching to 4-5-1. We battered them 4-0. We tried the same for maybe a game or two but then went back to the predictable 4-4-2 which never really suited us all season.

I think McCormack is a player who likes to be the main man. Some players are like that. For him to have been replaced by Chopra after being so effective in front of goal and given a position out wide must have been annoying to say the least. Like you said, a 4-3-3 could have been highly effective, but Jones wanted his 4-4-2 at virtually all costs.

I think it was more that Jones much preferred his 4-4-2 and McCormack was demoted as a striker. That front 3 could have been lethal and would have built up an understanding that meant we could have coped with Bothroyd was out (eg playoff final).

I remember us playing Doncaster at home, when Bellamy scored his first City goal. We were awful for half an hour, struggling to cope with their 3 man centre midfield (as we often did struggle). Chopra went off injured, and without a replacement forward we brought on Burke to play wide and dropped Whitts into a central position, switching to 4-5-1. We battered them 4-0. We tried the same for maybe a game or two but then went back to the predictable 4-4-2 which never really suited us all season.

I think McCormack is a player who likes to be the main man. Some players are like that. For him to have been replaced by Chopra after being so effective in front of goal and given a position out wide must have been annoying to say the least. Like you said, a 4-3-3 could have been highly effective, but Jones wanted his 4-4-2 at virtually all costs.
    You cannot ignore the fact that McCormack had his issues here both off and on the field. These issues have followed him everywhere, and despite playing under many a manager never had a shot at the Premier League, which many would have felt was a given after his first season here.

I couldn't believe it in that play off final when Jones brought on Useless Etuhu to replace Bothroyd and left McCormack on the bench until the second half. Arguably cost us the game.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    You cannot ignore the fact that McCormack had his issues here both off and on the field. These issues have followed him everywhere, and despite playing under many a manager never had a shot at the Premier League, which many would have felt was a given after his first season here.
    I wasn't. I think I addressed that when I suggested he's a player who likes to be the main man. He was pushed down the pecking order here. At Leeds and Fulham he was a big cheese. Villa had lots of forwards and again, he was pushed down the pecking order.

Not saying I agree with that attitude, but I acknowledge that some players (and people in general) are like that. Thriving on being a big fish in a small pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I couldn't believe it in that play off final when Jones brought on Useless Etuhu to replace Bothroyd and left McCormack on the bench until the second half. Arguably cost us the game.
    Of course it did. It was because we had one tactic - long to Bothroyd because Blackpool played 4-3-3/4-5-1 and won everything in midfield, so we had to go over the top and fight for possession, not easy on such a hot day. Etuhu was the only tall forward who might have been able to act as a target man. He wasn't a target man and shouldn't have been put in that position.

Blackpool were a tidy side but we really should have won that game with some tactical nous.

The lad could score thats a fact

Of course it did. It was because we had one tactic - long to Bothroyd because Blackpool played 4-3-3/4-5-1 and won everything in midfield, so we had to go over the top and fight for possession, not easy on such a hot day. Etuhu was the only tall forward who might have been able to act as a target man. He wasn't a target man and shouldn't have been put in that position.

Blackpool were a tidy side but we really should have won that game with some tactical nous.
    We didn't have only one tactic under Jones, we could play good football if we needed to, or we could go direct

Just to p!ss Villa fans off he's just received a promotion bonus as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We didn't have only one tactic under Jones, we could play good football if we needed to, or we could go direct
    I reckon we played good football if we managed to get on top or if the other side wasn't up to it. Quite often, when we needed to play good football, the hoofball game came to the fore. I remember TOBW calling us flat track bullies. I think that summed us up. Had the potential, if we got on top, to give teams a hammering. Also, didn't have enough tactical flexibility to alter things when we were struggling.

A number of players commented that Jones didn't give much consideration to what the opposition did, the view was that the opposition should be scared of what we could do. It showed.

I reckon we played good football if we managed to get on top or if the other side wasn't up to it. Quite often, when we needed to play good football, the hoofball game came to the fore. I remember TOBW calling us flat track bullies. I think that summed us up. Had the potential, if we got on top, to give teams a hammering. Also, didn't have enough tactical flexibility to alter things when we were struggling.

A number of players commented that Jones didn't give much consideration to what the opposition did, the view was that the opposition should be scared of what we could do. It showed.
    Of our managers since then, we've mostly played one particular way as well.
    Under malky and Warnock we are/were more likely to get something out if a game when the other team were on top, but I don't put that down to any great tactical flexibility on their part, more just a greater resilience in the team.