+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we encourage the hooligans back to football?

Should we encourage the hooligans back to football?

Firstly not my opinion but just putting the question out there!

In general, I am of the opinion that its the hooligans (or at least wannabbee's) that used to create the atmosphere at many stadiums. Indeed, if you analyse the noise at grounds, it tends to generate from the "boys" ends.

Is it a fluke that the banning orders & general discouragement of these individuals have coincided with a distinct lack of atmosphere, especially at newer grounds?

Look at Selhurst Park, Anfield , Celtic Park - grounds that can sound great when in full flow...... the songs are resonating from one end of the ground.

I ask this question not because I particularly miss the violence & fear but it seems to have an effect on the memories of many fans. Just last week, I had lengthy chats to 2 proper, law abiding fans, 1 a derby fan, the other, a Shrewsbury fan. We talked about our memories following our respective Clubs and most of the talk was our scrapes/lucky escapes at dodgy places ie "I remember going to Millwall one year etc"

So, should we welcome the thugs back or is football now how we used to view a rugby experience?

Re: Should we encourage the hooligans back to football?

Are you mad?
    singing/chanting is not dependent on thugs/violence.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Are you mad?
    singing/chanting is not dependent on thugs/violence.
    Pissheads? Male voice choirs? Pashun ?

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post

In general, I am of the opinion that its the hooligans (or at least wannabbee's) that used to create the atmosphere at many stadiums. Indeed, if you analyse the noise at grounds, it tends to generate from the "boys" ends.

Is it a fluke that the banning orders & general discouragement of these individuals have coincided with a distinct lack of atmosphere, especially at newer grounds?

Look at Selhurst Park, Anfield , Celtic Park - grounds that can sound great when in full flow...... the songs are resonating from one end of the ground.

I ask this question not because I particularly miss the violence & fear but it seems to have an effect on the memories of many fans. Just last week, I had lengthy chats to 2 proper, law abiding fans, 1 a derby fan, the other, a Shrewsbury fan. We talked about our memories following our respective Clubs and most of the talk was our scrapes/lucky escapes at dodgy places ie "I remember going to Millwall one year etc"

So, should we welcome the thugs back or is football now how we used to view a rugby experience?
    I think that aggression and testosterone can play a part in a good atmosphere. That Leeds cup game which we all remember, the atmosphere was tingling because it bordered on going over the edge. Special.

Those who have been to game in Italy etc will also know how the atmosphere can be very different.

Not sure we should be actively contacting hooligans and offering them free tickets, though.

What I think is the most telling bit of your post is the use of the word 'particularly' in the fourth paragraph. In using that word (and others) you are giving away your sympathies, basically condoning the hooligan morons that used to follow this and many other clubs and thereby encouraging the use of violence as a way of improving atmosphere and as a form of entertainment between opposing fans. It is a ridiculous stance to take. You make it sound like there should be signs put up outside our stadiums saying 'hooliganism welcome here'. The football experience nowadays is a million times better than it it was in the seventies and eighties and this in no small part is due to the fact that people can go to games without being in fear of their lives and stadiums are welcoming places for men, women and children alike to watch football in comfort and safety. I dont understand how anyone who was around during those days can seriously advocate a return to them. The atmosphere in our stadium (and most others we visit) is fine, thanks very much.

As far as I'm aware there were no banning orders this past season and yet the best atmosphere created for a number of years. The closest we had to trouble, again as far as I'm aware, is fans ensuring Manchester United "fans" and Liverpool "fans" left the stadium and how much noise are you making if you're in the concourse with your camera phones?

Hooligans are selfish and seeking some sort of self-recognition. The organisation, passion and noise was good but nothing about that is owned by hooligans or wannabees.

It made away games and a few home games slightly interesting in the worst of times footballing wise. Was it great that we could go toe-to-toe with anyone? LITERALLY ANYONE? Sure, but it's childish, selfish and it gave the club a really bad name. Times have changed.

No

Do Selhurst Park, Anfield and Celtic Park still have loads of hooligans? If not, then I'm not following your logic.

Or are you actually saying that it's the new designs of grounds vs traditional ones that are problem?

I can remember huge singing chanting crowds back in the 70's , have to admit a lot of that was aimed in an agressive way . Lots of hate songs towards coppers and away fans.

There was also a lot of songs that went on for a long time ,now it's more short sharp chanting.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    No
    All that needs to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    All that needs to be said.
    Totally agree.
    Ask the same question on **** though and I bet the answer may be slightly different.

Anfield is very rarely in full flow....apart from the away section.

Let's also bring back razor fights, bear-baiting, cock fighting, public stoning, the ducking stool and crucifiction.

Putting the obvious "no that's a terrible idea" to one side. How exactly would we tempt hooligans back to the ground?
    Hand out knuckle dusters and bottles of buckfast at each home game?
    Maybe some clockwork orange style Conditioning over the big screens at half time?

Anfield? It's been like a morgue the last two occassions I've been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Putting the obvious "no that's a terrible idea" to one side. How exactly would we tempt hooligans back to the ground?
    Hand out knuckle dusters and bottles of buckfast at each home game?
    Maybe some clockwork orange style Conditioning over the big screens at half time?
    Tolchocking on the pitch at half time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Let's also bring back razor fights, bear-baiting, cock fighting, public stoning, the ducking stool and crucifiction.
    https://youtu.be/arwZcw0Ejcc

Making all seater stadiums changed the atmospheres in grounds

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Making all seater stadiums changed the atmospheres in grounds
    Well as many football fans can't refrain from genuinely abusive behaviour towards opposition fans and are unable to conduct themselves as mature adults maybe it's no bad thing.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    No
    Eloquently put. I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    As far as I'm aware there were no banning orders this past season and yet the best atmosphere created for a number of years. The closest we had to trouble, again as far as I'm aware, is fans ensuring Manchester United "fans" and Liverpool "fans" left the stadium and how much noise are you making if you're in the concourse with your camera phones?

Hooligans are selfish and seeking some sort of self-recognition. The organisation, passion and noise was good but nothing about that is owned by hooligans or wannabees.
    I reckon safe standing would be enough to get some decent atmospheres back, most grounds are very quiet these days. Yes there’s the odd 5 mins at the beginning of each half but even anfield is quiet most of the time, as is msn city, Arsenal and OT.
    Celtic are gett8ng SS aren’t they? Can’t stsnd them or their fans but why them?

When searched by the stewards going into the ground, maybe they can issue fans with darts, lighters and flares to use when the atmosphere starts to wane.
    Put fences back up aswell cos hooligans love trying to climb a fence, but dont like the challenge of trying to get past a row of hi-viz.

Edit - no it's a sh1te idea
    Last edited by The Bloop; 05-06-19 at 20:48. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I reckon safe standing would be enough to get some decent atmospheres back, most grounds are very quiet these days. Yes there’s the odd 5 mins at the beginning of each half but even anfield is quiet most of the time, as is msn city, Arsenal and OT.
    Celtic are gett8ng SS aren’t they? Can’t stsnd them or their fans but why them?
    Pompey had a season ticket campaign a few years back with slogan "Don't let your children grown up thinking it's only a tv programme" and perhaps we need a similar slogan for improving the atmosphere: "Football is not meant to be watched in silence." Anfield clearly has a great atmosphere on a night where fans think it matters and they have a role to play but the fans don't see 99% of the games they play as important so maybe they shouldn't have tickets for those games and give them to fans who want to support the team even when playing a "lesser" team. Cheaper tickets and stop overhyping certain games and offering no hype for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Leave the middle east out of this