+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool make "official enquiry" for Etheridge.

Liverpool make "official enquiry" for Etheridge.

Re: Liverpool make "official enquiry" for Etheridge.

If true, great for his bank balance, terrible for his piles

Shirley he wants to be playing at this stage of his career ???

he's there's for 60 million .

Will he mind boarded up windows ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Doubt he'll see many of them where he'll be holed up!
    If that are after him, then the asking price should be doubled!

these teams bidding for him, have the seen him kick the ball ? I cant think of anyone less suited to Liverpools style of play.

Play in the Championship for what? 10K a week? Or sit on the bench in the Premier for 50K a week. Bearing in mind he's 29, and had been bouncing around the lower leagues for 8 years only making 81 appearances before joining us, what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    these teams bidding for him, have the seen him kick the ball ? I cant think of anyone less suited to Liverpools style of play.
    If you play for Liverpool, you can roll the ball out to a defender.

I wonder if there's a commercial consideration to this.

Taking nothing away from his abilities, he's been fantastic for us, and I'm sure he could step in when needed for Liverpool and be reliable.
    However, as a backup keeper they'd be paying whoever they sign a lot of money for sitting on the bench.
    Etheridge has a huge social media following in the Philippines, where football is a growing sport and the population is over 100 million.
    They could maybe pick up a bunch more overseas fans to offset the cost of what is usually a underutilized wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Taking nothing away from his abilities, he's been fantastic for us, and I'm sure he could step in when needed for Liverpool and be reliable.
    However, as a backup keeper they'd be paying whoever they sign a lot of money for sitting on the bench.
    Etheridge has a huge social media following in the Philippines, where football is a growing sport and the population is over 100 million.
    They could maybe pick up a bunch more overseas fans to offset the cost of what is usually a underutilized wage.
    fair point. I seem to remember Ronaldo to Real Madrid more or less paid for himself in shirt sales and other commercial deals etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

It is a fair point and another reason we should not "give" him away.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Play in the Championship for what? 10K a week? Or sit on the bench in the Premier for 50K a week. Bearing in mind he's 29, and had been bouncing around the lower leagues for 8 years only making 81 appearances before joining us, what would you do?
    He may be 29 but good keepers last much longer than good outfield players.
    I'm not sure he would want to be bench warming now, especially after the season he has had. Him playing in the lower leagues will now be a distant memory.
    That said, I could see him playing quite a few games for them in the cup competitions.

If the big boys are in for Etheridge then I think we are resigned to losing him.
    $$$$'s for the coffers and a decent keeper in Smithies, would be crazy business-wise.

Talking as a fan though, we should be trying to keep our best players as selling gives out the wrong message.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    He may be 29 but good keepers last much longer than good outfield players.
    I'm not sure he would want to be bench warming now, especially after the season he has had. Him playing in the lower leagues will now be a distant memory.
    That said, I could see him playing quite a few games for them in the cup competitions.

If the big boys are in for Etheridge then I think we are resigned to losing him.
    $$$$'s for the coffers and a decent keeper in Smithies, would be crazy business-wise.

Talking as a fan though, we should be trying to keep our best players as selling gives out the wrong message.
    I don't think it sends out the wrong message to sell one of our players to a club that has just won the Champions League.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

If he goes for that much warnock could buy a whole new team replacing a lot of the rubbish we have:P

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    It is a fair point and another reason we should not "give" him away.
    If we can get £10M I think we can use that wisely to bring in a couple of good quality players.
    Striker and playmaker spring to mind although we must leave room for Reid, another season on the fringe would probably see him leaving for £3-4M

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    If he goes for that much warnock could buy a whole new team replacing a lot of the rubbish we have:P
    The rubbish that got us to the premier league and missed out on promotion by 2 points ?

The rubbish that got us to the premier league and missed out on promotion by 2 points ?
    Erm... avoiding relegation by two points 👍

that bottled it in the matches they should have won and beat Manure! yes

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I don't think it sends out the wrong message to sell one of our players to a club that has just won the Champions League.
    Is the team the player goes to really relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I’d maybe wait and see if I could get 35k playing more football for a mid table PL side. If there were no more offers after a week or two I’d sign for Lpool.

Is his agent Scottish by any chance?

Don't they play the ball out from the keeper to the defenders, rather than hoofing it up field?

International

If we let him go do they have anyone who see may potentially loan from them as a sweetener?

It's debatable to suggest that £10m for Etheridge will pay for a couple of decent players including a striker. Sadly the £10m wouldn't even buy a decent striker when you consider we paid more than half that amount for Madine. Surely it's better to keep our best players if we are hoping to challenge for promotion next season. There is talk on other threads about strengthening the squad. I's not the squad that needs strengthening as we have enough dross already. What we need are players good enough to walk straight into the first team and sadly £10m doesn't buy you that much as our spending on Bacuna and Cunningham for example shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    It's debatable to suggest that £10m for Etheridge will pay for a couple of decent players including a striker. Sadly the £10m wouldn't even buy a decent striker when you consider we paid more than half that amount for Madine. Surely it's better to keep our best players if we are hoping to challenge for promotion next season. There is talk on other threads about strengthening the squad. I's not the squad that needs strengthening as we have enough dross already. What we need are players good enough to walk straight into the first team and sadly £10m doesn't buy you that much as our spending on Bacuna and Cunningham for example shows.
    Che Adams will cost about £10m. Cunningham and Bacuna are going to be good squad players next year as well. We've already got a £10-15m budget, so if we can double that it wouldn't be a complete disaster. Also, everyone knows we overpaid for Madine but he was their best player on a long term deal, and the transfer fee was heavily dependent on us getting up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    On the other hand, we've shown we can turn cheap signings into good players.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    If we let him go do they have anyone who see may potentially loan from them as a sweetener?
    ^^this makes perfect sense.... Divock Origi please