+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Trump protests

Re: Trump protests

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What straight forward answer have you given?

You think it’s bad that there was protests on the same day as the D day I don’t. I told you why I didn’t think it was bad, fair enough if you think it is I was just trying to get you to consider it from another point of view.
    At least someone is acknowledging there were protests on the same day as D day which some others claim there weren't.

What straight forward answer have you given?

You think it’s bad that there was protests on the same day as the D day I don’t. I told you why I didn’t think it was bad, fair enough if you think it is I was just trying to get you to consider it from another point of view.
    I’ve looked at it from your point of view, and I still have the same opinion. Can you please just accept that?

I think the protests were more about our government cosying up to him rather than his policies weren’t they?
    Really?

They were protesting against Trump, not so much against the Government.

Your interpretation is that they were cosying up to Trump.

You need to have dialogue when in Government with those you dislike, otherwise nothing ever progresses (like here).

If Corbyn had been in May's shoes, would he have refused to meet Trump and refused to discuss potential trade deals with America?

How on earth would that approach move anything forward?

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Really?

They were protesting against Trump, not so much against the Government.

Your interpretation is that they were cosying up to Trump.

You need to have dialogue when in Government with those you dislike, otherwise nothing ever progresses (like here).

If Corbyn had been in May's shoes, would he have refused to meet Trump and refused to discuss potential trade deals with America?

How on earth would that approach move anything forward?

Corbyn did ask to meet Trump. Trump refused. He preferred to talk to Farage and the Tory leadership candidates. Corbyn (and the leaders of the LibDems, Greens, SNP etc) objected to the extended photo opportunity and ceremonial froth that May put on for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Corbyn did ask to meet Trump. Trump refused. He preferred to talk to Farage and the Tory leadership candidates. Corbyn (and the leaders of the LibDems, Greens, SNP etc) objected to the extended photo opportunity and ceremonial froth that May put on for Trump.
    It's what leaders do for Heads of State!!

He refused to meet him formally, spoke at protest rally against Trump and then wanted to engage with him on his own terms at extremely short notice.

He's the leader of one of the opposition parties. He doesn't get to pick and choose his terms for meeting one of the world's major Head of State.

Also, any very senior politician from the vast majority of countries, will have a very tight, pre-arranged schedule.

Yet you, others and Corbyn act surprised and blame Trump for not 'wanting' or 'choosing' to attend a meeting that Corbyn wanted.

It seems like it was an afterthought from Corbyn. Leaders lead with forethought.

Do you know who the leaders of opposition are in many European countries?

Can you imagine them refusing to formally meet, for example, Putin, speaking at a protest rally against him, want to meet him on their terms at very short notice and then wonder why he refuses.

It really is that ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I’ve kind of learnt from the past that once you and Croesy get into full flow on a thread, it’s time to bow out. My point in the opening post was just my opinion. I think Trump is a tosser, but protests through the few days of the D-Day anniversary was in bad taste. Just my opinion.
    When better?

Quote Originally Posted by Barmy View Post
    When better?
    Really?

At a time of respecting the fallen and war veterans, you think it's the best time to protest about someone you dislike.

In my opinion only, that comes across as a selfish act when commemorating the selfless.

It's what leaders do for Heads of State!!

He refused to meet him formally, spoke at protest rally against Trump and then wanted to engage with him on his own terms at extremely short notice.

He's the leader of one of the opposition parties. He doesn't get to pick and choose his terms for meeting one of the world's major Head of State.

Also, any very senior politician from the vast majority of countries, will have a very tight, pre-arranged schedule.

Yet you, others and Corbyn act surprised and blame Trump for not 'wanting' or 'choosing' to attend a meeting that Corbyn wanted.

It seems like it was an afterthought from Corbyn. Leaders lead with forethought.

Do you know who the leaders of opposition are in many European countries?

Can you imagine them refusing to formally meet, for example, Putin, speaking at a protest rally against him, want to meet him on their terms at very short notice and then wonder why he refuses.

It really is that ludicrous.
    So he didn't refuse to meet Trump. Thank you.

And what is this 'formally' and 'afterthought' stuff about. Corbyn said in late April that he wanted no part of the state visit ceremonial stuff but wanted to meet Trump to discuss a range of issues important to the UK and USA:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48070983

In a statement, Mr Corbyn said: "Theresa May should not be rolling out the red carpet for a state visit to honour a president who rips up vital international treaties, backs climate change denial and uses racist and misogynist rhetoric.

"Maintaining an important relationship with the United States does not require the pomp and ceremony of a state visit. It is disappointing that the prime minister has again opted to kowtow to this US administration.

"I would welcome a meeting with President Trump to discuss all matters of interest."

Any such meeting would have been as formal or informal as the meetings Trump had with Tory and Brexit politicians.

Really?

At a time of respecting the fallen and war veterans, you think it's the best time to protest about someone you dislike.

In my opinion only, that comes across as a selfish act when commemorating the selfless.
    Why did they fight, if not for our right to protest. (God bless them all).

Corbyn refused to attend the State dinner because of his opposition to Trump. Yet he wanted to meet Trump. Corbyn's position was illogical. No wonder Trump refused to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    A far bigger say than the Americans, some would say.
    Paid a far greater price too.