+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump protests

Re: Trump protests

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Was it right to distract from the D Day commemorations with a fawning state visit by the draft-dodging, serial lying, climate change denying, Nazi supporting current occupier of the office of US president?

No it wasn't.

That was what was embarrassing.
    I get the distinct impression that you don't like him.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Was it right to protest about Trumps visit, when the 75th anniversary of D-Day was taking place?
    You could say that the veterans fought for freedom and the right to protest, but I feel this protest was at the wrong time.
    Surely the freedom to protest is one of the points of D-Day?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When I was younger, there were people who lived through the war who would say that one of the things they fought for was to preserve the freedom of the right to protest.

When did that line of thinking change?
    I said that in my opening post. But surely the last few days were to commemorate the 75th anniversary, and not to score political points.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Surely the freedom to protest is one of the points of D-Day?
    Read my reply to ToBW

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    look at the state of our country, and we protest about how he chooses to run his?
    I think the protest was about our government cosying up to someone who’s country has concentration camps and describes Nazis as very fine people. Just as the protests with the Saudi visit.

I said that in my opening post. But surely the last few days were to commemorate the 75th anniversary, and not to score political points.
    What do you mean scoring political points?

Incorrect. I didn’t say there were protests yesterday if you read my post again. The protests were the day before when he was here. My point was, his visit was all part f the 75th anniversary, which was spread over a few days and imo it wasn't the time for protests.
    Only my opinion though.
    Dont be naive. Trump was only here to meet the queen. He doesn't give a shit about D-day. At the WWI memorial he stayed inside because it was raining.

Was it right to distract from the D Day commemorations with a fawning state visit by the draft-dodging, serial lying, climate change denying, Nazi supporting current occupier of the office of US president?

No it wasn't.

That was what was embarrassing.
    This.

Trump has made it quite plain that he thinks people who serve in the military are suckers. It was a disgrace to have him present.

The comments under that tweet nail it!

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    So the American President who attended the commemorative ceremonies to honour the tens of thousands of Americans who died in WW2 was wrong to attend and it was right for the protesters to distract from the proceedings. Really? The country should have been respectful of the office and not necessarily the man
    ^^this^^

Doubt DT wanted to appear at the remembrance. He has no place being there as a person, but utterly right he was as a representative of those tens of thousands who laid down their lives.
    It must be a constant battle him doing what he wants to do and what he is "advised" to.

We should not forget that this country and its people would be very different had the US not come in.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This.

Trump has made it quite plain that he thinks people who serve in the military are suckers. It was a disgrace to have him present.
    Top political figure practicing hypocracy?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    ^^this^^

Doubt DT wanted to appear at the remembrance. He has no place being there as a person, but utterly right he was as a representative of those tens of thousands who laid down their lives.
    It must be a constant battle him doing what he wants to do and what he is "advised" to.

We should not forget that this country and its people would be very different had the US not come in.
    I don't think any of us have forgotten what we owe to the US. But it doesn't mean we have to happy clap every time an American president comes here. His values are very different to the values that many here have and people have every right to express that.

Top political figure practicing hypocracy?
    Let's just lay down and move on then?

^^this^^

The Russians also had a massive say in the outcome albeit on the Eastern front.

I don't think it was the wrong time to protest, it will be a while before the opportunity arises to do so again but I do think that the US are right to have representation at the memorial.

Some were saying that Trump should not have been there because of what he's said and believes bit he is there because he is the president Of the United States (it still doesn't feel right saying that!)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Let's just lay down and move on then?
    Not at all.
    It was a throw away comment that the leaders are in it for themselves.
    They also say things they don't really believe in and it's a though it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Oh really?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    A far bigger say than the Americans, some would say.

Highlight of the Queens life, it seems. According to Donald that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think the protest was about our government cosying up to someone who’s country has concentration camps and describes Nazis as very fine people. Just as the protests with the Saudi visit.
    We have always cosied up to the yanks though, remember the shame of the arsewipe Tony Blair doing it with bush over Iraq? 2 million people march saying no, but the buffoon does it anyway and millions of idiots voted him in......did trump say nazi’s were fine people? I really doubt that, you made it up didn’t you?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We have always cosied up to the yanks though, remember the shame of the arsewipe Tony Blair doing it with bush over Iraq? 2 million people march saying no, but the buffoon does it anyway and millions of idiots voted him in......did trump say nazi’s were fine people? I really doubt that, you made it up didn’t you?
    You are right. What Trump said after Charlottesville was there were "very fine people on both sides,"

This was the event where a UNITE THE RIGHT rally of white-supremacists, neo-Nazis, Nazis and other racists was faced by a peaceful counter-demonstration. But it annoyed one Nazi so much that he decided to drive his car into them, killing Heather Heyer and injuring 28 others.

Donald Trump was very clear about his sympathies and views - despite some pathetic recent attempts by Trump supporting commentators to re-write history and claim his comments related to peaceful and nostalgic modern day Confederates who wanted to keep a statue to Robert E Lee standing. That was not the context of Trump's remarks at the time. He saw the Nazis as part of his base to be defended, and the counter demonstrators as the enemy.

Very fine people after one of them had driven a car into a crowd and killed someone too.

He’s scum, no 2 ways about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Dont be naive. Trump was only here to meet the queen. He doesn't give a shit about D-day. At the WWI memorial he stayed inside because it was raining.
    I’ve kind of learnt from the past that once you and Croesy get into full flow on a thread, it’s time to bow out. My point in the opening post was just my opinion. I think Trump is a tosser, but protests through the few days of the D-Day anniversary was in bad taste. Just my opinion.

I’ve kind of learnt from the past that once you and Croesy get into full flow on a thread, it’s time to bow out. My point in the opening post was just my opinion. I think Trump is a tosser, but protests through the few days of the D-Day anniversary was in bad taste. Just my opinion.
    Out of interest, how many days before or after d day would it be acceptable to protest?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Out of interest, how many days before or after d day would it be acceptable to protest?
    Once again, it’s just my opinion, but anytime other
    The week leading up it. Do you have a problem with my opinion?