+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: R.I.P. Dr John

R.I.P. Dr John

R,I.P. Malcolm John Rebennack, Jr, known as Dr John, who passed away of a heart attack. One of the most influential of all the musicians to come out of New Orleans, and there have been many over the years!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48551452

Here his is original version of 'Walk On Gilded Splinters', also recorded by Paul Weller on his 1995 album 'Stanley Road'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed5gc0hM8u0

Re: R.I.P. Dr John

A unique talent.
    I have a series of 'How to Play....' which he recorded. Even the stuff on that is brilliant - and I'm not a fan of the New Orleans genre.
    He's left behind an inspiring legacy.

Wonderful musician. Got turned on to his music after seeing his performance of Such a Night on Scorcese's Last Waltz concert with The Band. I imagine the list of musicians he inspired is a very long one.

Only really know the stuff he did with spititualized, but that was pretty cool

I saw Dr John - The Night Tripper - at Cardiff University in about 1970. Just him at the piano in the corner of the bar. He played a lot of boogie woogie and was pretty handy at it too. I remember the night very well as in the hall Slade (in their skinhead days) played followed by Deep Purple and in the bar Adge Cutler and the Wurzels (who were a good turn) followed by Dr John. Those were the days !

I saw him at the Coal Exchange a few years ago. A great gig where he was ably supported by Amy Wadge

I met mac when i lived in NYC he was one of the coolest dudes i have had the pleasure.....He loved that snake stick that went everywhere with him also I remember he was really pissed about Katrina and the way folk were treated in New Orleans after the storm.
    RIP old man and thanks for the memories.

Age of Atlantic LP wash mama wash was my first time, a class musician .

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I met mac when i lived in NYC he was one of the coolest dudes i have had the pleasure.....He loved that snake stick that went everywhere with him also I remember he was really pissed about Katrina and the way folk were treated in New Orleans after the storm.
    RIP old man and thanks for the memories.
    "Sippiana Hericane" was the album he made after Katrina

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    "Sippiana Hericane" was the album he made after Katrina
    Thanks Richard i'll check it out