+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our next goalkeeper?

Our next goalkeeper?

George Ratcliffe 18 years of age.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...young-16387203

Re: Our next goalkeeper?

I actually don't think Etheridge will go anywhere to be honest

We'll never see him in a Cardiff City first team shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    We'll never see him in a Cardiff City first team shirt.
    Bit harsh

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Bit harsh
    I can see where he's coming from. For quite a few years any promising U18's end up in the Development Squad where they mark time for a few years before eventually being released without ever really being looked at.
    Neil has done a great job with the senior side but the prospects for young players in the current set up are not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I can see where he's coming from. For quite a few years any promising U18's end up in the Development Squad where they mark time for a few years before eventually being released without ever really being looked at.
    Neil has done a great job with the senior side but the prospects for young players in the current set up are not good.
    Chances are Neil will be long gone from the club before this kid is hitting his peak years

Bit harsh
    I fully expect Etheridge to be sold this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I fully expect Etheridge to be sold this summer.
    And if that happens, would we need to bring in another first choice keeper to replace him? I don't think we would. I'm still not sure if Brian Murphy has been offered a new contract, but, if we do not intend to do so, then we could save money for more urgent targets by signing a keeper on loan to act as back up to Smithies (who is an established and recognised Championship standard keeper) and there would be plenty of other clubs who would use someone like Ratcliffe as third choice, but would City do that?

I thought smithies had gone to Birmingham on loan?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And if that happens, would we need to bring in another first choice keeper to replace him? I don't think we would. I'm still not sure if Brian Murphy has been offered a new contract, but, if we do not intend to do so, then we could save money for more urgent targets by signing a keeper on loan to act as back up to Smithies (who is an established and recognised Championship standard keeper) and there would be plenty of other clubs who would use someone like Ratcliffe as third choice, but would City do that?
    Let's hope that, in the event that Etheridge leaves, Smithies shows more than he did at Gillingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Let's hope that, in the event that Etheridge leaves, Smithies shows more than he did at Gillingham.
    And Norwich.

Isn't Smithies going to Birmingham?

I see no harm in Ratcliffe being the backup

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    We certainly need to get rid of at least one of our three Senior keepers to give this guy a chance of making it?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Isn't Smithies going to Birmingham?

I see no harm in Ratcliffe being the backup

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...ingham-on-loan

The original story in the Mirror wasn't linked in this thread - but it is not a very reliable source.

I can believe that the clubs have discussed a loan for Smithies next season - but only if Etheridge stays with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Or, it is just possible that the players are not good enough to make the step up ?

If we get an offer for Etheridge he'll want to go, it's a short career and if for instance Liverpool wanted him to warm the bench he'd probably be on a big increase in his current wages. But would he want to sit on the bench? More worrying is the rumour that Villa want him, as they've had loan goalkeepers for the last two seasons, so he'd probably be first choice 'keeper for them and they could pay much more than us. I think he's only got one year left on his contract too. But we should hold out for a big fee.

I think it was said that the Smithies rumour was false, so after paying £3.5m he'd be first choice should Etheridge leave. Although I'd want Etheridge to stay.

Murphy is out of contract but we could keep him as cover and the emergence of Ratcliffe could be good, apparently Andy Dibble rates him highly.
    Or maybe David Marshall could come back?

Bit harsh
    It is nothing against the kid. Our club doesn't bring youngsters through to the first team.