+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Denmark

Denmark

Not the best start to their qualifying group. Don’t we need them to qualify in order for us to have the safety net of the play offs if we don’t finish in the top two?

Re: Denmark

Yes I think that’s the case. I hadn’t given that opportunity that much thought

Early days. The Danes did well to claw back for a draw against the Swiss but their home draw with Ireland was poor. Still think they will qualify which will give us a play off spot if we fail to get through the group

I don't think it works like that.

Don't the Danes have to win their group for us to get a playoff?

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    I don't think it works like that.
    Then it’s more of a problem. Still early though.

We actually need any (or ideally all) of the group winners from our league to qualify, so that is Sweden, Denmark, Bosnia and Ukraine. It then goes on our Uefa ranking (of which we are pretty high for our league - at the moment at least). On the current rankings, if two of the 4 teams mentioned qualify automatically we are guaranteed a playoff. If Austria qualify automatically too then it's just one team that we need of the above to make it.

That said we could do with as many as possible qualifying because if we were to need a playoff then it's likely we'll drop in the rankings, plus the more teams that qualify, the more likely it is they'll be replaced by a weaker team

Quote Originally Posted by Swbluebird View Post
    We actually need any (or ideally all) of the group winners from our league to qualify, so that is Sweden, Denmark, Bosnia and Ukraine. It then goes on our Uefa ranking (of which we are pretty high for our league - at the moment at least). On the current rankings, if two of the 4 teams mentioned qualify automatically we are guaranteed a playoff. If Austria qualify automatically too then it's just one team that we need of the above to make it.

That said we could do with as many as possible qualifying because if we were to need a playoff then it's likely we'll drop in the rankings, plus the more teams that qualify, the more likely it is they'll be replaced by a weaker team
    Actually we need 3 of the 4 mentioned to qualify not 2 of 4, we also want Russia to qualify as well as Austria

Reading this thread I've worked out that it's easier for us just to finish top 2 in our group.