+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "High Street" experience

The "High Street" experience

Some older posters will remember my constant rants during the emergence of Aldi's & Lidl's.
    Now these stores are pretty much established within the UK, i can, kind of, see their use. Indeed, its quite a challenge identifying products by the picture on the tin but, as most of our groceries are imported, we may as well embrace these outfits.

Now these 2 have been trumped in the sewer status by ..................... HOME BARGAINS !

What a complete shithole of a place (and i include B & M bargains in this category too)

They take over empty stores but don't even gut or decorate the building..... they just seem to just open the doors and start selling.

They may as well put a massive sign up saying " come on in poor people"

They certainly attract the slipper & tracksuit wearing members of the community.

Often the goods are past their sell-by-dates and, in general, its stuff that has been refused by more reputable stores.

I am certainly not belittling any person who is struggling financially and therefore forced to frequent such places but i'm having go at the eyesore of the store itself.

The proof is often there by looking at the staff.

Re: The "High Street" experience

Nothing makes me happier than shitting on people who are worse off than myself.

I know a GP who swears by home bargains and she's definitely not in the Kappa slapper demographic

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I know a GP who swears by home bargains and she's definitely not in the Kappa slapper demographic
    Same, I know ladies, who are not short of a bob or two, who swear by their cosmetics (I don’t mean they stand in the aisle and curse)

Insult the shoppers. Check.
    Insult the staff. Check.

Lidl is a top shop I walk er indoors to work every Saturday Morning (Caerphilly Road) then walk up to Lidl to get some lunch for myself, always have a mooch around the gadgets, have a garage full of them, use once, then chuck away, branded tools have reduced in price because of Lidl and Aldi, i was going to get a router last Saturday from Lidl but the BOSCH jobs are not that expensive now so will get one of these instead, it should last more than one job

Me and the wife shop in Aldi and with the money we save, we spend in M and S

'Its quite a challenge identifying products by the picture on the tin '

Think you must be looking for your groceries in the pet food aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Me and the wife shop in Aldi and with the money we save, we spend in M and S
    I shop in them all. Aldi, Asda, Home Bargains, M+S.

There’s a number of common goods with different packaging between Aldi and M and S. The only difference is the price.

Aldi’s Rossini “Italian lager” is a decent drop for a fraction of the price of Peroni.

I love to have a nice log from hb’s....

Lidl’s and Aldis give tremendous value for money. Some of the steaks I’ve had from Lidl’s are better than some top restaurants.

Never tried the inferno pizza though. Don’t think they sell it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Insult the shoppers. Check.
    Insult the staff. Check.
    Totally agree.

Very judgemental from the OP and I suspect a lot of his/her comments are unsubstantiated.

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Totally agree.

Very judgemental from the OP and I suspect a lot of his/her comments are unsubstantiated.
    Can only speak with regards the Merthyr home bargains and unfortunately he may have a point on the staff.

Home Bargains is tidy enough at Upper Boat (as in cleanliness, decor etc) and they have a massive store down the Bay that's properly set up.

In fairness to Aldi, Lidl and HB you can get decent products cheaper than the big stores.

The advantage of a Tesco or bigger supermarket is that it's all under one roof, but you pay extra for that convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    Some older posters will remember my constant rants during the emergence of Aldi's & Lidl's.
    Now these stores are pretty much established within the UK, i can, kind of, see their use. Indeed, its quite a challenge identifying products by the picture on the tin but, as most of our groceries are imported, we may as well embrace these outfits.

Now these 2 have been trumped in the sewer status by ..................... HOME BARGAINS !

What a complete shithole of a place (and i include B & M bargains in this category too)

They take over empty stores but don't even gut or decorate the building..... they just seem to just open the doors and start selling.

They may as well put a massive sign up saying " come on in poor people"

They certainly attract the slipper & tracksuit wearing members of the community.

Often the goods are past their sell-by-dates and, in general, its stuff that has been refused by more reputable stores.

I am certainly not belittling any person who is struggling financially and therefore forced to frequent such places but i'm having go at the eyesore of the store itself.

The proof is often there by looking at the staff.
    You need to go and have a word with yourself and learn how not to be such a middle class snob

Having a go at the store itself?

What were you expecting to see in a supermarket filled within food and cosmetics at a discounted rate? The hanging gardens of Babylon? Herds of Wildebeest seeeping majestically across the store perhaps?

Last week, when I was in the pound shop, I was appalled to see the female customers not wearing a twin set and pearls and the gentlemen customers not wearing dinner jackets and spats. As for the staff, they didn't even bother to curtsey or tug their forelocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Last week, when I was in the pound shop, I was appalled to see the female customers not wearing a twin set and pearls and the gentlemen customers not wearing dinner jackets and spats. As for the staff, they didn't even bother to curtsey or tug their forelocks!
    You better stick to Waitrose

International

The username remind me of Flashman Gorra be a windy merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    You better stick to Waitrose
    I prefer S & M.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I prefer S & M.
    😂🤣

I was a bit sniffy about Aldi and Lidl a few years ago, but am off to the former this morning which I now use to get about 75% of my weekly shop. In my experience, both stores provide food that is at least as good as, and in many cases quite a bit better than, the more "acceptable" supermarket chains - my only complaint about either is that they seem a bit slow in getting in new stock of items that have been sold out.

Never used Home Bargains before, so cannot comment on them.

Those ****ing poor for not paying 50% more for the same goods absolutely disgusts me

Fortunately Jeeves never complains about such matters.