+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "High Street" experience

Re: The "High Street" experience

I shop in Lidl most of the time these days. If I can't find something exotic in there I go to J Sainsbury's.
    Home bargains / B&M bargains fill a purpose. There have always been pile em high and sell em cheap merchants, and these guys are no different.
    Yes you can pay more for a more refined shopping experience, but if you're buying antibacterial wipes and clothes pegs then really what's the point

I love Lidl and Aldi - we've used them as a family ever since they arrived in the mid-1990s. Tins of beans used to be 3p and were comparable to the real deal. Mum used to buy them by the box-load and then head off to M&S for the rest of the shopping. I used them as a student (the lager came from Pegnitz in Bavaria and was excellent); I used them to do half of my food shopping when starting out in work - nothing wrong with most of unprocessed food; I use them when staying abroad as I know their product range and there are a (very) few meals I can prepare entirely from lidl/aldi stock; and as a parent they are brilliant for nappies, wipes, and kids' snacks. And I have always loved the jumble sale bit in the middle where you can buy an easter egg next to a motorcycle helmet next to a food processor.

What I have never, ever been able to do is a complete shop in one. I genuinely don't think it is possible.

Lidl & Aldi are great for the wild contradictions in the aisles, brilliant when spaghetti hoops are next to the thermal underwear. The electric chain saw/wet wipes combination shelf is a sight to behold

There's a post on Facebook about culverhouse cross Aldi where a homeless man was in a queue to get rice cakes but because of his odour the cashier closed her till and said I'm not serving him he stinks.

Not a good message for ALDI

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Having a go at the store itself?

What were you expecting to see in a supermarket filled within food and cosmetics at a discounted rate? The hanging gardens of Babylon? Herds of Wildebeest seeeping majestically across the store perhaps?
    You left out Sydney Opera House but full marks for the improv

I shop in them all. Aldi, Asda, Home Bargains, M+S.

There’s a number of common goods with different packaging between Aldi and M and S. The only difference is the price.

Aldi’s Rossini “Italian lager” is a decent drop for a fraction of the price of Peroni.
    On this recommendation, I've just been to Aldi for a sample, not opened a bottle yet, another 30 mins in the fridge

What were you expecting to see in a supermarket filled within food and cosmetics at a discounted rate? The hanging gardens of Babylon? Herds of Wildebeest seeeping majestically across the store perhaps?
    Hope not. Health and safety hazards.

Fans talking shopping. Ffs can't we fast forward to August.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Fans talking shopping. Ffs can't we fast forward to August.
    It’s just the same as “Stone-age” man going out hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    You need to go and have a word with yourself and learn how not to be such a middle class snob
    Seems like not much has changed in15 months

What shaped chips do you want Sonny?
    Do you want to run the place?
    Is this a piece of your brain?

I am certainly not belittling any person who is struggling financially and therefore forced to frequent such places but i'm having go at the eyesore of the store itself.
    Oh I think you are. Positively Dickensian. If the OP is an attempt at humour then it's it a big F (off) from me.

Starting to think Blueblades missus ran off with the manager of home bargains.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Oh I think you are. Positively Dickensian. If the OP is an attempt at humour then it's it a big F (off) from me.
    didn/t take you long to get into the groove of insulting people on here, did it?

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    The proof is often there by looking at the staff.
    The proof of a poster is in his posts.

So you're a c*nt.

By not giving the customer the best shopping experience they can, they are the ones
    Not showing respect.

What is it with some ordinary people's tendency to pick on harmless people or things they think are "common"?

Someone posted on here a while back that it was "common" to mount a flat-screen TV on a wall. WTF else are you supposed to with a flat-screen TV? Put on a pedestal in the middle of the room?

My Mrs shops at Aldi from time-to-time. They always have good, cheap produce and snacks etc that you can't get anywhere else. It's also good for meat if you're entertaining. I'm not so keen on shopping at Aldi myself because when I shop, I like to be able to get everything I need at the same place. But I have no problem with the Mrs shopping there. Or anyone else for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    didn/t take you long to get into the groove of insulting people on here, did it?
    *confused*. Are you being serious?

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    What shaped chips do you want Sonny?
    Do you want to run the place?
    Is this a piece of your brain?
    I've always been partial to amphibious landing-craft shaped chips myself.

I assume this is a purposeful wind up post and wouldn’t take any notice of it

If herds of wildebeest are seeping majestically, I suggest a vet, antibiotics and closing the place!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    *confused*. Are you being serious?
    Guess. Less than a month and 58 posts, not bad going is it?

I use Lidl and Aldi regularly. My only problem with both is that by the time I have browsed the middle aisles I often forget what the wife asked me to get and I come out with a socket set or pack of angle brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Guess. Less than a month and 58 posts, not bad going is it?
    No. Still *confused* I genuinely can't tell if you're being serious or trying to intimidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I use Lidl and Aldi regularly. My only problem with both is that by the time I have browsed the middle aisles I often forget what the wife asked me to get and I come out with a socket set or pack of angle brackets.

The middle isles are always great

Nice Filled donuts in Lidl's