+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TV advice. £399 or £3,999

Re: TV advice. £399 or £3,999

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    We were about to have some work done in the house before lockdown and one of the outcomes would be putting a TV on the wall after having the old fire grate taken out.

So I'm bringing this thread back up and I want to sort out a new TV.

Something new into the mix (for me) is nano cell.

This TV at Richer Sounds has very good reviews and is my preferred choice (opinions on this TV or similar welcome)

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...-nanocell.html

Who has put a TV on the wall?

What are the pro's and con's of that and how have you managed to hide wires and connect to Sky boxes and DVD's etc?
    Ive got mine on the wall, to the left of the fireplace. I hid the cables by battening plasterboard on the batten and getting it plastered. cables run in a channel behind, 3 hdmi, power and audio.
    xbox sky etc. Live in a cabinet under the TV with a hole in the back that cables come through. this saved me putting electrics behind the TV.

We bought a 75 inch Samsung from a local independent last year... it was ex-display ... originally retailed at over $5000 and paid just under $2000 for it. Is on a wall bracket. If you have a wall and room big enough for it ... my advice is go as big as you can... as 4K becomes more and more prevalent the TV just gets better

Paid 399 for 43 inch LG Smart HD Ultra brilliant TV especially the internet connection whichnus supposed to be one of the best

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-43UK6300...=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Make sure you get a wall bracket that tilts forward.
    Then you can adjust to suit.
    Brackets seem to be another thing that vary a lot in price, so shop around.

Thanks for boosting this thread up a Mike, with the lockdown I’ve been looking at a new TV too. I’ve currently got a 43” Panasonic Viera HD plasma tv, as we moved a lot in the past I always bought crappy TVs but when we knew we were staying in this house I splashed a lot of money for the time ( think about £1700) on this TV and it has lasted at least 10 years ( might actually be nearer 15 years) and it still has a perfect picture. However it was only when I had some mates around who commented on how small the TV was for my size of room that made me start thinking about replacing it ( mind they have ridiculously large size TVs in small rooms!) . I think I can go to 65” but as it’s such a big step up I don’t know whether to go OLED or Qled - I’m not sure I need a Tv that syncs everything, all this stuff about Bixby and Google Assistant seems a waste of time, just want best value in picture ( I have a separate sound box) for what will be a big step up anyway. I assume all TVs are 4K ultra HD now? Not sure if I can justify £1900 if a £1000 will give me just a big a boost in screen quality from what I have ( LG have a 65” OLED for £1900 and the Qled one is about £1,100)

Anybody any recommendations based on their own experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Thanks for boosting this thread up a Mike, with the lockdown I’ve been looking at a new TV too. I’ve currently got a 43” Panasonic Viera HD plasma tv, as we moved a lot in the past I always bought crappy TVs but when we knew we were staying in this house I splashed a lot of money for the time ( think about £1700) on this TV and it has lasted at least 10 years ( might actually be nearer 15 years) and it still has a perfect picture. However it was only when I had some mates around who commented on how small the TV was for my size of room that made me start thinking about replacing it ( mind they have ridiculously large size TVs in small rooms!) . I think I can go to 65” but as it’s such a big step up I don’t know whether to go OLED or Qled - I’m not sure I need a Tv that syncs everything, all this stuff about Bixby and Google Assistant seems a waste of time, just want best value in picture ( I have a separate sound box) for what will be a big step up anyway. I assume all TVs are 4K ultra HD now? Not sure if I can justify £1900 if a £1000 will give me just a big a boost in screen quality from what I have ( LG have a 65” OLED for £1900 and the Qled one is about £1,100)

Anybody any recommendations based on their own experiences?
    My current TV is a 42 Panasonic plasma and the picture is also still great (bar patches of screen burn that illuminate at different times).

I think I can go to 55" and am looking at a mid range rather than OLED

(based on 55") Seems the 4K HDR LED TV's range for £350 at the lowest end to around £700, a NanoCel from LG or a QLED from Samsung is in the £700 - £900 range before the step into OLED's of £1K +

Just as I settle on one (the LG nanocel I linked earlier) i research more and find someone who technically dismisses it but the public ratings are all very positive.

If you have Sky Q and a firestick then many of the Smart Features are irrelevant anyway. Bixby is just another voice command option like Alexa, Siri etc.

My current TV is a 42 Panasonic plasma and the picture is also still great (bar patches of screen burn that illuminate at different times).

(based on 55") Seems the 4K HDR LED TV's range for £350 at the lowest end to around £700, a NanoCel from LG or a QLED from Samsung is in the £700 - £900 range before the step into OLED's of £1K +

Just as I settle on one (the LG nanocel I linked earlier) i research more and find someone who technically dismisses it but the public ratings are all very positive.

If you have Sky Q and a firestick then many of the Smart Features are irrelevant anyway. Bixby is just another voice command option like Alexa, Siri etc.

I always used to buy Samsung, but I switched to LG for the last few, I find them much better now, cheaper better picture for the money, and very reliable, tells seem to go on for ever now!

One advantage for you and Don Corleone is that by switching from your old plasma to any other flat screen technology is a major saving in power consumption. a 10 yo plasma runs at around 3-400w, a modern LCD is around 150w, even with a much larger screen.

Richyrich

Just last week bought a LG C9 65inch from Richer sounds. £2000. One of the best 2 grands I've spent. The picture is sublime! Even Sky looks 4K at times because it upscales. Watching Tiger King in Dolby Vision blows you away. had a Panasonic Plasma before and the LG OLED is just so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
    Just last week bought a LG C9 65inch from Richer sounds. £2000. One of the best 2 grands I've spent. The picture is sublime! Even Sky looks 4K at times because it upscales. Watching Tiger King in Dolby Vision blows you away. had a Panasonic Plasma before and the LG OLED is just so much better.
    After removing our fire and surround we have a blank wall - a 65" looks a more likely option. That LG C9 has amazing reviews.

After removing our fire and surround we have a blank wall - a 65" looks a more likely option. That LG C9 has amazing reviews.
    Mike, there are brand new LG OLED's just out now, hence why Richyrich got such a bargain on his 65". John Lewis have the new wall mount only 55" and 65" for sale now - though they'll set you back a lot more than Richyrich paid. So if you want the C9 you need to get a move on...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I have a tv on the wall but the bottom of the screen is only 18inches off the floor. That way the centre of the screen is at eye level when we're sat on the settee.

I see some with TV's above fireplaces and people cricking their necks to watch it. Just looks so uncomfortable.
    Had mine on the wall but it wasn't stupidly high, could watch it without tilting your head back. Found the stand the other day so now it's on a cabinet at perfect eye level

Richyrich

Go for it Mike, you won't regret it if you watch quite a bit of tele. Movies are closer to cinematic too. Hurry if you want the C9 though like PB says. I know it's a lot of money but I won't be getting a tv for at least another 10 years if it holds out.

In the end Mike I went for the Oled LGC9 65” - at first I was worried it would be too big but you soon get used to it and then wonder why you had a smaller TV for so long and the picture upgrade is fantastic

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    In the end Mike I went for the Oled LGC9 65” - at first I was worried it would be too big but you soon get used to it and then wonder why you had a smaller TV for so long and the picture upgrade is fantastic
    Hi don, congrats on getting a C9. Have you tinkered with settings? I turn off all the crap like tru motion and motion eye care with ironically causes motion blur. I recommend you do the same. It produces "soap opera effect" also which is ok in a show room, not good for everyday viewing. in picture mode I prefer "expert dark room". I tinkered for a fortnight and am well happy now and have stopped analysing the picture and just enjoy it.

Alba from argos , 140 quid

I have freeview

It's fine

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
    Hi don, congrats on getting a C9. Have you tinkered with settings? I turn off all the crap like tru motion and motion eye care with ironically causes motion blur. I recommend you do the same. It produces "soap opera effect" also which is ok in a show room, not good for everyday viewing. in picture mode I prefer "expert dark room". I tinkered for a fortnight and am well happy now and have stopped analysing the picture and just enjoy it.
    Hi Rich, yes I’ve been fiddling with the settings too , hard to resist with so many options! I have turned off tru motion and motion eye care. I have been watching in expert light room but will give dark room a go thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Alba from argos , 140 quid

I have freeview

It's fine
    I’ve got one of those too!

Bought myself a LG OLED 65" with the inevitable lockdown looming, had a Panasonic 55" LCD for almost seven years but recently moved house and found myself in a larger living room. I have to say the picture quality is incredible, as close to true black (as the experts say!) I've experienced. Ultra HD / 4k is also very noticeable and impressive. Only thing I would say is that if the room is naturally bright, you may be better served by LCD.

Update from me. I went for a 65" LG NanoCel .

Really pleased with the size and the quality. Have fitted it to the wall and it looks amazing.

Some channels display better quality HD than others and 4K takes a little getting used to, i can see the hair follicles on peoples faces.