+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV advice. £399 or £3,999

TV advice. £399 or £3,999

Why are some TV's £399 and other £3,999

What an earth can make it so different. (Obviously there is a quality improvement but so much money for a TV the same size)

I'm itching for a new TV and there seems to be a range of 55 inch models between £350 and £500 that are

55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV

Is that what most people get when they upgrade now?

The picture on my 8 / 9 year old Panasonic HD plasma is still excellent but I'd like a bigger screen

Re: TV advice. £399 or £3,999

There are some very cheap plasma's about because the technique is dead.
    But dont buy one.
    Dont bother with 4k if you dont have 20/20 vision.
    I have an LG which i cant recommend due to the fact that while trying to make picture adjustments the menu covers the whole screen so you cant see what you are doing . ludicrous

Go for 65 if you can fit it 👍

A new technology has just been introduced, hence the high prices. I'd either wait, or go for something that's a lot better than the £399 ones, but much cheaper than the £4k ones. Short-throw projectors or also something to look at if you want a big screen experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    But dont buy one.
    I have an LG which i cant recommend due to the fact that while trying to make picture adjustments the menu covers the whole screen so you cant see what you are doing . ludicrous
    Plasma TV's are very good. My old Panasonic beats my new 4k tv at HD quality, the blacks can't be beaten. The technology may be old, but it's also expensive to produce, hence the move to the new tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

What an earth can make it so different. (Obviously there is a quality improvement but so much money for a TV the same size)

I'm itching for a new TV and there seems to be a range of 55 inch models between £350 and £500 that are

The picture on my 8 / 9 year old Panasonic HD plasma is still excellent but I'd like a bigger screen
    I wondered this also, I bought an LG 4K a few months ago fir £350 or something I’m now tempted to get this same one but bigger

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...78164-pdt.html

Seems great, and in richer sounds they price match with a 6 year warranty......

International

I just bought an UHD Toshiba 50 inch from Tesco for 329.00. The larger 55 inch was about 375.00. My TV works perfick. Why pay 2,000.00 more?

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...uk6400plf.html

Bargain....the tech isn’t worth paying for just hang 2 years behind I reckon....

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Plasma TV's are very good. My old Panasonic beats my new 4k tv at HD quality, the blacks can't be beaten. The technology may be old, but it's also expensive to produce, hence the move to the new tech.
    The blacks i agree. I fell asleep with text tv on .... i can still read the text today.
    Dont buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    Go for 65 if you can fit it 👍
    Just get a 55 and sit a bit closer

You also need the check the viewing angles on the cheap ones

First Team

Go to Costco. If you don't like what you buy you can take it back, no questions asked. They also extend the standard warranty.

On the quality vs price issue. I have a $2000+ 70 inch Samsung and a sub $180 40 inch Element. The Element picture is no worse than the all-singing and dancing Samsung. The Element also includes an integrated Roku. I don't think it's worth paying the extra money. ( I don't think you can buy an element in the UK. And it has no brand value. But who cares?)

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    But dont buy one.
    What do you mean, don't bother with 4K unless you have 20/20 vision? Everything that is worth buying is 4K.

My brother has a 4K TV. Our local cable companies don't broadcast in 4K. It's about 60". But the picture looks weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Bought a 55 LG OLED about 18 months ago. An excellent purchase.
    I think whatever size you buy after a while you will wish you had bought the next size up, unless constrained by space.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Go to Costco. If you don't like what you buy you can take it back, no questions asked. They also extend the standard warranty.

On the quality vs price issue. I have a $2000+ 70 inch Samsung and a sub $180 40 inch Element. The Element picture is no worse than the all-singing and dancing Samsung. The Element also includes an integrated Roku. I don't think it's worth paying the extra money. ( I don't think you can buy an element in the UK. And it has no brand value. But who cares?)
    £2000 for a tv? What is the point....really, I mean there’s not even anything that great to watch is there??
    I go to Costco a lot, why are they so expensive?

I bought a 32 inch wide screen, Panasonic plasma from David Morgan's back in 2003, cost £2500!!! Lasted 10 years
    My recent TV I bought from richer sounds, and I'd go there again. It's a 3D TV I bought in 2013.
    I have sky Q now but the TV isn't UHD so haven't got the benefit.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    £2000 for a tv? What is the point....really, I mean there’s not even anything that great to watch is there??
    I go to Costco a lot, why are they so expensive?

Brexit hasn't quite got The Cable at parity but yes it was expensive.

It is a 4k bells and whistles job and it connects to all the other Samsung things in the house (including the fridge, I kid you not). I think it's the brand and the fact that it's relatively new tech.

The re-sale value of a 2 year old TV here tells you it's a rip off - you might get $200 if you're lucky. A lot of charities won't take TV donations any more because they have so many of them.

Watching the Bluebirds on HD was quite nice btw. That was a bargain - $50 for every game.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Watching the Bluebirds on HD was quite nice btw. That was a bargain - $50 for every game.
    Not in 4K though. I must say, I'm going to miss NBC Sports Gold. $50 was a real bargain. I suppose it's back to single camera and no graphics or commentary next season for three times the price.

I bought a 32" Sony Trinitron Wega in 2000 for $1450. The screen was flat but the TV was a BEAST and two people could barely move it. I literally could not give it away 5 years later.

I have a 42" Samsung smart TV now. I think I paid less than $400 for it 3 years ago. For that price now, you can get a Samsung 55" 4K TV.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Bought a 55 LG OLED about 18 months ago. An excellent purchase.
    I think whatever size you buy after a while you will wish you had bought the next size up, unless constrained by space.
    I thought that would be the case.
    I had a 55 inch for a couple of weeks and even in that time I got used to it, exchanged it for a 65 and a year later and I’m still amazed by it.
    Pretty much have a little smile to myself every time I sit down to watch something on Netflix or a footy game.

4K is 100% worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Just get a 55 and sit a bit closer
    Cheapskate :p 😂

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I suppose it's back to single camera and no graphics or commentary next season for three times the price.
    Quite often in the early morning games (for us westerners) in the last Championship season I fell asleep and missed goals. I purposely don't follow games on my phone because the tv tends to lag by a minute or so online services ruin the tv games. Then I'd be trying to figure out what the score was by the crowd noise alone. Very weird.

I suppose you can compare it to lots of things for difference in price watches, sound systems cars.

Ultimately they all do the same thing but just 1 is a bit better. It's all dependent on finances and enjoyment. Do i think I would enjoy a programme because the t.v. costs 10 times as much?
    I don't think I would

I've no doubt the quality is better but it wouldn't enhance my life

All we do is when we have more money is buy slightly nicer things whether that be holidays, tvs houses