+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: King's Road, Cardiff

Re: King's Road, Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I haven't lived in Cardiff since 1977 so don't ask me
    Out of interest TBG. What was your reason for leaving? The love of a good woman? A job? The love of a good cider? Just tell me to **** off if I’m being nosey, but I’m genuinely interested.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Out of interest TBG. What was your reason for leaving? The love of a good woman? A job? The love of a good cider? Just tell me to **** off if I’m being nosey, but I’m genuinely interested.
    Well, Mr Treseder, after I returned from living in Germany in my early twenties I migrated this way due to the type of job I wanted. After being told by a careers master at school that I should consider becoming a cartographer, the penny dropped about 5 years later. I thought that I should migrate towards Ordnance Survey or the sea-going alternative, based in Taunton. As my brother lived down here for a while I stayed with him for a while before eventually getting in where I am now.
    I've lived in Cardiff, Newport, Dorset, Devon, Kent, London and Germany but I love Somerset. It's a lovely county and largely ignored by tourists who drive through it to head further southwestwards.
    The north coast is nearby, the Devon coast to the south is fairly near, the Quantock Hills, the Brendon Hills, the Blackdown Hills and Exmoor are within easy reach and I am happy as a pig in poop,especially since I started walking a couple (and lead a couple of walking groups a couple of years ago, unusual for me as I don't join groups usually).
    Taunton is on the M5, on the main railway line, you don't have to be well off to live well here, the people are not materialistic and it gives me wonderful karma.
    Anything else you want to know, you nosey so-and-so?

Thank you for your interest.
    a/s/l?

P.S. A CCFC season ticket holder.

International

I'm a season ticket holder. problem is its for the 2011-12 season.

Well, Mr Treseder, after I returned from living in Germany in my early twenties I migrated this way due to the type of job I wanted. After being told by a careers master at school that I should consider becoming a cartographer, the penny dropped about 5 years later. I thought that I should migrate towards Ordnance Survey or the sea-going alternative, based in Taunton. As my brother lived down here for a while I stayed with him for a while before eventually getting in where I am now.
    I've lived in Cardiff, Newport, Dorset, Devon, Kent, London and Germany but I love Somerset. It's a lovely county and largely ignored by tourists who drive through it to head further southwestwards.
    The north coast is nearby, the Devon coast to the south is fairly near, the Quantock Hills, the Brendon Hills, the Blackdown Hills and Exmoor are within easy reach and I am happy as a pig in poop,especially since I started walking a couple (and lead a couple of walking groups a couple of years ago, unusual for me as I don't join groups usually).
    Taunton is on the M5, on the main railway line, you don't have to be well off to live well here, the people are not materialistic and it gives me wonderful karma.
    Anything else you want to know, you nosey so-and-so?

Thank you for your interest.
    a/s/l?

P.S. A CCFC season ticket holder.
    Thanks for that Mr Genie. I lived in Cornwall for a while. A little place called Porthtowan. (Not far from Redruth) It was a beautiful picturesque place. Unlike Somerset, the tourists flock to Cornwall. The locals call them “Emmetts” think it’s a Cornish word for “ ants”
    It’s good to find out a little bit about my fellow posters and fellow City fans. May I commend you on your continuing allegiance to your hometown club.
    One last question. Do you think you’ll ever move back to Wales, or are you happy enough to see out your autumn yrs in the West Country ?

Thanks for that Mr Genie. I lived in Cornwall for a while. A little place called Porthtowan. (Not far from Redruth) It was a beautiful picturesque place. Unlike Somerset, the tourists flock to Cornwall. The locals call them “Emmetts” think it’s a Cornish word for “ ants”
    It’s good to find out a little bit about my fellow posters and fellow City fans. May I commend you on your continuing allegiance to your hometown club.
    One last question. Do you think you’ll ever move back to Wales, or are you happy enough to see out your autumn yrs in the West Country ?
    Although I have visited every country in Europe I have to confess that I haven't such much of Cornwall! I have romantic thoughts about returning to Wales (and Germany) one day but I have such a fantastic social life and so many friends down here that I can't abandon Somerset.
    Maybe I will wait another three years until I fully retire, buy a modest and cheap camper van of some description, and share my time here and elsewhere, whilst keeping my base here.

Although I have visited every country in Europe I have to confess that I haven't such much of Cornwall! I have romantic thoughts about returning to Wales (and Germany) one day but I have such a fantastic social life and so many friends down here that I can't abandon Somerset.
    Maybe I will wait another three years until I fully retire, buy a modest and cheap camper van of some description, and share my time here and elsewhere, whilst keeping my base here.
    Great idea. I’ve always had a romantic notion of buying a cottage on the North Scottish coast when I retire. Would take some doing though to get that past my missus. 😂

International

Great idea. I’ve always had a romantic notion of buying a cottage on the North Scottish coast when I retire. Would take some doing though to get that past my missus. ��
    Hint::: don't tell her.

Feedback

Canton

Pontcanna, if it exists at all, is where the electricity club was.

And the golf range and swimming pool then home to canton via Germans the chip shop 👍

Been to Porthtowan many years ago as a kid. Had a rock pool if I remember correctly but can't remember if it was part man made or natural.
    Quite a difficult beach to get to.

Beautiful part of the world.

Apologies for being miles off topic.
    By the way if you live just off the M1, are you a southerner or northerner?

Wouldn't it be a suburb of Victoria Park?

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Wouldn't it be a suburb of Victoria Park?
    That's West Canton.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    That's West Canton.
    Not East Ely?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

According to google maps the area that I thought was Canton is Riverside and Canton doesn’t exist

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    According to google maps the area that I thought was Canton is Riverside and Canton doesn’t exist
    That's why I asked the question. How weird is Google Maps?

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Not East Ely?
    Elton or Cantly?

Pontcanna doesn't exist

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Pontcanna doesn't exist
    I have numerous old maps of cardiff going back to the 1880s which all have pontcanna clearly marked on them.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I have numerous old maps of cardiff going back to the 1880s which all have pontcanna clearly marked on them.
    That's of interest. Where did you get them?

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    That's of interest. Where did you get them?
    I mentioned once in passing that I liked old maps, then various birthdays and Xmas later...

I bet Newtown and Tiger Bay were on them too.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I bet Newtown and Tiger Bay were on them too.
    I'll have a look if I can remember where I put them when I moved.

Newtown almost certainly.
    Tiger bay almost certainly not, as that was apparently just a slang for a rough area, based on a part of London what was also called tiger bay

East Cardiff have never had any these problems

I'll have a look if I can remember where I put them when I moved.

Newtown almost certainly.
    Tiger bay almost certainly not, as that was apparently just a slang for a rough area, based on a part of London what was also called tiger bay
    I think you are right

Interesting about Newtown though how it has just vanished. I wonder if that row of houses at the top of Tindle Street, amongst the metropolis that has sprung up, were originally part of Newtown.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I think you are right

Interesting about Newtown though how it has just vanished. I wonder if that row of houses at the top of Tindle Street, amongst the metropolis that has sprung up, were originally part of Newtown.
    Rosemary street and Ellen street are still there which were part of Newtown, but I don't think any of the houses remain from those times