+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Environment

Re: The Environment

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    My job is related to climate change and I wrote my thesis on climate change, I’m not belittling people I’m just saying there is so much evidence for this it’s as close to certain as something can be.

Nothing is 100% certain ever you’re right, but the cyclical theory has enough contradictory evidence that it’s not even considered a possibility any more.
    Well done you, earning money from the f ucking obvious

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    How popular has it become in the last 5 years to ‘save the planet’

I’m all for being kinder, but this new wave of eco friendliness has come to me as a surprise. That coupled with the green parties growth around the EU in politics, is a long way from what I expected a few years ago.
    I am all for environmental policies to drive us to be “greener”, however, the UK represents less than 1% of the global population unless we can bring North & South America, China, India and the USSR then what we do has very little bearing on GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Well done you, earning money from the f ucking obvious
    What do you mean? I didn’t even say what my job is.

What do you mean? I didn’t even say what my job is.
    On iPhone so can’t duplicate your post, but I’m sure you said “your JOB was related to climate change” .

So you’re one of the f uckers trying to frighten us, are you not ????

On iPhone so can’t duplicate your post, but I’m sure you said “your JOB was related to climate change” .

Neither but I work in energy so it’s related to it.

Why do you think people are trying to frighten you?

What’s frightening you?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I'm not saying there is not climate change but when the so called climate experts were persuading us to buy diesel cars only to find years later that it is not CO2 emissions but NOX emisions that are bad it turns out that the experts were wrong. There must have been a lot of evidence at that time that diesel was a cleaner fuel when clearly now it is not. Frankly I take "expert" advice with a pinch of salt and don't believe everything I read. Of course climate change could be a real danger but I am yet to be convinced.

The Earth’s climate does go through natural cycles of warming and cooling and while it is probable that mans activity is causing the earth to warm an explanation for current increases could just as easily be attributed to a natural or cyclical change.

People like Croeso might choose to belittle those with alternative views to his but I prefer to not believe everything I read and make up my own mind and merely not follow the herd by accepting the "evidence" put before me.

I'm not a climate change deniar; merely a person who has yet to be convinced but will follow the evidence with interest.
    Background global CO2 levels have never been as high as they are now (just passed 400ppm) across the last 4 Ice Ages (aroud 420,000 years). ~300 ppm is the more usual maximum. It's looking pretty conclusive that this is not just normal climatic variation:

https://cdiac.ess-dive.lbl.gov/trends/co2/vostok.html

CO2 is not the only driver for climate change as you know but it appears to be a good proxy for temperature changes:

https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-t...why-it-matters

Neither but I work in energy so it’s related to it.

Why do you think people are trying to frighten you?

What’s frightening you?

Not me, but some little shits are telling people to put some monstrosity’s on their roofs.

Unfortunately, after they’ve done this, they find it hard to sell their house!!!!

Be green by all means, but don’t CON people

I think you meant to say inform you. You decide whether you are frightened or not. Interesting that you think that someone pointing out that what now seems undeniable is a f ucker. Shall we pretend it isn't happening then?

Presumably you're old enough not to care much as the worst potential effects won't affect you too much, so you can relax.

EDIT: Just seen your next post. I presume this is someone who's been badly advised to sell their roof rights to a PV installer? I agree this was a stupid thing to advise anyone to do but there are sharks in every industry

It could also tell you that climate change is cyclical.
    There are very good reasons that the warning we are currently experiencing is man made and not a natural cycle. Wouldn't take very long to Google it if you were interested. I think new scientist did a good introduction to the science behind it a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    There are very good reasons that the warning we are currently experiencing is man made and not a natural cycle. Wouldn't take very long to Google it if you were interested. I think new scientist did a good introduction to the science behind it a couple of years ago.
    Climate change is cyclical though, it’s just this time it’s different in it’s rate.

It’ll always be cyclical though. It’ll change, and change again. It just won’t be as we know it now.

Climate change is cyclical though, it’s just this time it’s different in it’s rate.

It’ll always be cyclical though. It’ll change, and change again. It just won’t be as we know it now.
    In previous warm periods, the earth didn't have to support 7 billion humans.

Also the excess co2 in the atmosphere in previous warm periods came after initial warming. This time it has come before, and it is set to trigger even more release of co2

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Maybe just maybe people are starting to realise we all have a legacy for future generations.
    It's all too late.

If we wiped out all human life on the planet, it would still take decades for it to have an effect on global warming. Four decades. Then, temperatures would peak.

My energy company is 100% green. Even though it is, I still keep turning all lights off and trying to save electric because if people on 100% green energy increase their usage, it means that more electricity has to be generatad from gas and coal.

I moved closer to work, it is more expensive for me to do that, but I no longer have a car. I don' take any flights any more. Nobody makes sacrifices. That's why we're in a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    the wild Llfe of the Gwent marshes stopped us building a M4 relief road which will hinder any future prosperity in South Wales

the governments has set stringent CO2 targets for car emissions hence Bridgend Ford closing down

so yes the green party and alike are doing wonders for the economy of south wales !

lets look at the food industry slaughter houses are responsible for large output of green house gases contributing to climate change

are 50 mph speed limits at 4am in the morning on the M4 really going to help us ?

everything in life from food to industry is affected .god knows what is the answer ?

by the way there is a politics forum on this site
    Such great ignorance.

A thriving economy is not important compared to global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    It is, During my Visit to Perth in April, I was impressed at how clean Perth is, the public spaces when compared to the UK and western Europe are so clean and lacking filth everywhere, on beaches people didn't leave their shite, but on a river cruise I got talking to a lady sat next to me and I mentioned this to her, she thought Perth was dirty in comparison to her country which was New Zealand.

Attachment 3105
    Attachment 3106
    Attachment 3107
    Attachment 3108
    It looks nice and clean. But, Australia still produce large amounts of electricity through coal and gas, so Australia is a shit example.

I'm not saying there is not climate change but when the so called climate experts were persuading us to buy diesel cars only to find years later that it is not CO2 emissions but NOX emisions that are bad it turns out that the experts were wrong. There must have been a lot of evidence at that time that diesel was a cleaner fuel when clearly now it is not. Frankly I take "expert" advice with a pinch of salt and don't believe everything I read. Of course climate change could be a real danger but I am yet to be convinced.

The Earth’s climate does go through natural cycles of warming and cooling and while it is probable that mans activity is causing the earth to warm an explanation for current increases could just as easily be attributed to a natural or cyclical change.

People like Croeso might choose to belittle those with alternative views to his but I prefer to not believe everything I read and make up my own mind and merely not follow the herd by accepting the "evidence" put before me.

I'm not a climate change deniar; merely a person who has yet to be convinced but will follow the evidence with interest.
    Wrong.

Climate experts were NOT persuading people to buy diesel cars. The fact is that diesel cars produce less Carbon Dioxide. Do you really think that scientists did not know that diesel cars churn out NO2? What happened was that the Government persuaded people to go to diesel because it helped them in getting their CO2 targets. No scientist has ever said diesel was cleaner, and if they have they would have been laughed at in the science community.

Yes, the earth does go through cycles. The Sahara used to be a tropical rainforest. But, this current cycle is unlike anything ever seen in the history of the planet.

There is plenty of evidence available, and it's well documented. Even at the highest level, the percentage of scientists who believe that climate change isn't man made is about 3 in a 100. The rest all say it IS man-made. But, sadly, the stupid still "need convincing" . If you HAVE been following the evidence, then I can't see how you are not convinced.

Just a question here, even if you are not convinced are you changing your habits just in case? Are you going for the cheapest electric provider, or the greenest? Are you cutting back on electricity usage? Do you tumble dry clothes in the summer, and do you fill your kettle to boil water, only to chuck half of it away? Do you walk instead of using the car?

What evidence have you seen that global warming ain't happening? Why are you so easily refuting the opinions of scientists? I know why, because you are stupid and you showed that when you claimed that scientists were finding that NO2 is actually bad! Stone me.

And why do you think it's different in its rate this time compared to the other times?

You should be frightened. We are past the point of no return, and life is going to be very difficult for your kids and grandkids. You'll probably be ok though, so why care?

Absolutely mad that the people who don’t believe climate change isn’t happening don’t appear to have read any of the latest available information or evidence and appear not to understand why we believe it is happening and say the experts haven’t got a clue.

It’s almost like they’ve watched 5 minutes of a news story about it then decided they know everything about it and are convinced it’s all going to be fine anyway.

I’m sure it’s just a coincidence these are the exact same people who voted for brexit.

I take it that you and Allez Allez Allez are going to vote for the Green Party in the next general Election?

The diesel question is an interesting one.

They definitely produce less carbon emissions than petrol.
    Older diesel engines produce more particulates and nox emissions that are toxic than petrol engines - but only about as much as a petrol car from a few years earlier.
    New diesel engines are about as clean as new petrol engines.

There has definitely been a backlash against diesel recently, and I suspect that people who make money from petrol and petrol engines might be behind that.

Interestingly in terms of the particulate matter, I spoke to a professor at Cardiff university a few years ago who said in his opinion petrol particulates were more dangerous as they are a lot smaller and go straight into your blood and tissues, whereas diesel particulate matter is larger and easier for your body to deal with.

Also the particulate matter from your car could well be less than that from those scented candles your Mrs insists on lighting every night.

Going back to climate change, to your last sentence- if you are yet to be convinced by the evidence, then you haven't fully understood it.

If the scientific evidence about climate change is to be believed, and there is no reason why it shouldn’t be, then why are governments all over the world, so reluctant to act on it?
    Some pay lip service to it, and carry out token gestures, but on the whole, very little is being done, considering it’s a being described as a serious threat to future generations.
    In reality, we could be living on the cleanest planet in the universe, and it wouldn’t matter a jot! As I said earlier in this thread, the probable downfall of mankind won’t be climate change, it will be greed and religion. 2 facts of life that, unlike climate change, can never be altered, or eradicated.
    The most frustrating thing about the situation, is millions of people all over the world, are peace loving, caring of their fellow man, and willing to help the planet and others if they can, but since time began, the fate of many, has always been guided by the hands of few.
    My advice to everyone on here, is live your life as fully as you can, be good to your neighbours and friends, and try not to worry about things out of your control.
    It’s a fact of life, that the minority will always try to spoil it for the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The diesel question is an interesting one.

They definitely produce less carbon emissions than petrol.
    Older diesel engines produce more particulates and nox emissions that are toxic than petrol engines - but only about as much as a petrol car from a few years earlier.
    New diesel engines are about as clean as new petrol engines.

There has definitely been a backlash against diesel recently, and I suspect that people who make money from petrol and petrol engines might be behind that.

Interestingly in terms of the particulate matter, I spoke to a professor at Cardiff university a few years ago who said in his opinion petrol particulates were more dangerous as they are a lot smaller and go straight into your blood and tissues, whereas diesel particulate matter is larger and easier for your body to deal with.

Also the particulate matter from your car could well be less than that from those scented candles your Mrs insists on lighting every night.

Going back to climate change, to your last sentence- if you are yet to be convinced by the evidence, then you haven't fully understood it.
    The companies making diesel engines also make petrol engines. There's a backlash against diesel for good reasons, governments sold it as clean but have used ambiguous definitions for the word clean. VW anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I take it that you and Allez Allez Allez are going to vote for the Green Party in the next general Election?
    I voted for them last election, and probably will next time.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    If the scientific evidence about climate change is to be believed, and there is no reason why it shouldn’t be, then why are governments all over the world, so reluctant to act on it?
    Some pay lip service to it, and carry out token gestures, but on the whole, very little is being done, considering it’s a being described as a serious threat to future generations.
    In reality, we could be living on the cleanest planet in the universe, and it wouldn’t matter a jot! As I said earlier in this thread, the probable downfall of mankind won’t be climate change, it will be greed and religion. 2 facts of life that, unlike climate change, can never be altered, or eradicated.
    The most frustrating thing about the situation, is millions of people all over the world, are peace loving, caring of their fellow man, and willing to help the planet and others if they can, but since time began, the fate of many, has always been guided by the hands of few.
    My advice to everyone on here, is live your life as fully as you can, be good to your neighbours and friends, and try not to worry about things out of your control.
    It’s a fact of life, that the minority will always try to spoil it for the majority.
    Politicians aren't incentivised to consider anything that happens beyond the next election. Unless people start making the longer term a voting priority then that will never change

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    I voted for them last election, and probably will next time.
    That’s good to hear. You sound like a man/woman of principle. Personally, I’d love to see them given power for 4 yrs, just to see what kind of job they can do. Like everyone else on here, I’ve only ever experienced being governed by one of the big 2, and neither have done a particularly good job in my lifetime.
    Saying that though, it’s a near impossible job to keep 60m people happy.