+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Environment

Re: The Environment

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    If the scientific evidence about climate change is to be believed, and there is no reason why it shouldn’t be, then why are governments all over the world, so reluctant to act on it?
    Some pay lip service to it, and carry out token gestures, but on the whole, very little is being done, considering it’s a being described as a serious threat to future generations.
    In reality, we could be living on the cleanest planet in the universe, and it wouldn’t matter a jot! As I said earlier in this thread, the probable downfall of mankind won’t be climate change, it will be greed and religion. 2 facts of life that, unlike climate change, can never be altered, or eradicated.
    The most frustrating thing about the situation, is millions of people all over the world, are peace loving, caring of their fellow man, and willing to help the planet and others if they can, but since time began, the fate of many, has always been guided by the hands of few.
    My advice to everyone on here, is live your life as fully as you can, be good to your neighbours and friends, and try not to worry about things out of your control.
    It’s a fact of life, that the minority will always try to spoil it for the majority.
    Greed and religion have both been around for millennia and humans are still going strong.

Governments haven't done much because it's expensive to change infrastructure which in some cases may be fairly new, and big changes often have an immediate negative economic impact. Far easier for them to kick the can down the road and let some other politicians get the rap.

Trump is a great example, someone who is definitely not a long term leader. One of the first things on his to-do list was to pull the US out of the Paris Agreement, because it's an easy win to say you're bringing jobs back by re-opening the mines and factories and not letting outsiders tell you what to do (Brexit?).

You're right about greed and religion being around for so long, but then again, so has climate change.
    Only problem is, they both seem to be accelerating. It maybe 50/50 as to what will get us 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    It looks nice and clean. But, Australia still produce large amounts of electricity through coal and gas, so Australia is a shit example.
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    It's a nice example of John and Jane dough taking pride in their environment. And a decent base to start from, incidentally, the city has great transport infrastructure with car congestion mimimul in comparison with Western Europe its probably a better example than you think 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    ��������������
    It's a nice example of John and Jane dough taking pride in their environment. And a decent base to start from, incidentally, the city has great transport infrastructure with car congestion mimimul in comparison with Western Europe its probably a better example than you think ��
    I was in Perth last week, and I agree that it's lovely and clean.

But you can't compare it to Western Europe. It's one major city in an area about the size of Western Europe, so no wonder there's little congestion. About two and a half million people versus four hundred million.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    It's a nice example of John and Jane dough taking pride in their environment. And a decent base to start from, incidentally, the city has great transport infrastructure with car congestion mimimul in comparison with Western Europe its probably a better example than you think 👍
    Australia is one of the most wasteful societies (other than rainwater). They are pretty American in their outlook, driving big engined cars etc

You're right about greed and religion being around for so long, but then again, so has climate change.
    Only problem is, they both seem to be accelerating. It maybe 50/50 as to what will get us 1st?
    To be honest, I haven't seen any data regarding an increase in greed and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    To be honest, I haven't seen any data regarding an increase in greed and religion.
    I thought the amont of people identifying as being religious had been steadily decreasing for quite a while.

I was in Perth last week, and I agree that it's lovely and clean.

But you can't compare it to Western Europe. It's one major city in an area about the size of Western Europe, so no wonder there's little congestion. About two and a half million people versus four hundred million.
    Also, Perth started really becoming developed about 50 years ago. Compare that to London, the bones of which were getting built in about the 15th Century. Which is going to be easier to build nice wide highways and access roads in?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post

I prefer to not believe everything I read and make up my own mind and merely not follow the herd by accepting the "evidence" put before me.

I'm not a climate change deniar; merely a person who has yet to be convinced but will follow the evidence with interest.
    But.... don't accept evidence... but follow the evidence... and make up your own mind? Make your own mind up based on what, given you don't seem keen on 'evidence'? What is your threshhold for believing what is written? How many respected research bodies need to write it down before you believe it? Or are you conducting your own research?

To be frank, I don't have the time, skill, or knowledge to properly assess the "evidence" either. I say leave that to the scientists, who do all of the hard work and give us the exec summary, which I am able to digest. And they are as good as unanimous in their view that humans are affecting climate change. It could of course be a conspiracy, but then it seems like a monumentally difficult one to maintain given the scale and visibility of the issue; and there seems to be no reason for establishing such a conspiracy that is proportionate to the effort for doing so. And I suppose those scientists could all just be wrong. Or I do suppose it is possible that some of these people who don't believe the overwhelming weight of peer-reviewed and scrutinised evidence and research from all corners of the globe may have conducted their own, better research which does support a contrary conclusion.

But it seems more likely to me that for some it is an uncomfortable truth that they would rather deny; or they fancy themselves as contrarians.

You ain’t gonna see any “data” on Greed increasing. You wouldn’t be allowed to see it😂
    Anyway, with the likes of Trump and maybe Johnson getting powerful positions, there’s more chance of a nuclear disaster than you being able to grow bananas in your garden.

I take it that you and Allez Allez Allez are going to vote for the Green Party in the next general Election?
    I voted greens at the european but I'm not 100% on board with all their policies but it's likely I would at the next general election.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I voted greens at the european but I'm not 100% on board with all their policies but it's likely I would at the next general election.
    Good on you. So will I. They are never gonna get a chance to show us what they can do unless they are given the chance.

That’s one vote towards a labour government then

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Would you prefer a tory government?

Considering Grayling has cost the UK taxpayer £2.5bn and counting, anyone but the f**king Tories is a pretty good start.

Would you prefer a tory government?
    I’d like a government who listen to the people

Never going to happen though is it

I’d like a government who listen to the people

Never going to happen though is it
    What makes you think a Labour government wouldn't listen to the people? What's being ignored that all the people want?

What makes you think a Labour government wouldn't listen to the people? What's being ignored that all the people want?
    Dah, people voted OUT, labour ain’t helping with that are they

So who would you vote for in a general election?

What do you mean labour aren't helping?

Labour want to leave, but they haven't voted through any of May's bad deals, just have the tories have done.

Why are you so desperate for Brexit to happen?

What do you mean labour aren't helping?

Labour want to leave, but they haven't voted through any of May's bad deals, just have the tories have done.

Why are you so desperate for Brexit to happen?
    Where did I say “I’m desperate” or where did I say “I “ voted to leave. !!!

The people voted.

It won’t matter who is Tory leader, they’ll still veto it, bet you

Where did I say “I’m desperate” or where did I say “I “ voted to leave. !!!

The people voted.

It won’t matter who is Tory leader, they’ll still veto it, bet you
    Would that be a bad thing?

So you think Labour and the Tories will do the same thing, so why did you say "that's another vote for labour then" as a negative?

Would that be a bad thing?

So you think Labour and the Tories will do the same thing, so why did you say "that's another vote for labour then" as a negative?
    Who knows !!!

It’s into uncharted waters.

Question, if we do eventually leave, do you think others will follow suit ????

Who knows !!!

It’s into uncharted waters.

Question, if we do eventually leave, do you think others will follow suit ????
    But why does it matter if I vote greens and give a vote to labour if no one is listening to the people?

EU support amongst other european countries is higher than ever so I would be surprised if anyone else leaves - http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/e...eu-in-35-years

Especially now the UK is a great case study for how hard your economy will be hit.

Labour won't be listening to the people when their taxes rise to pay for their policies. On top of that whenever an issue is raised the Labour response is to chuck more money at it. That sounds like a good idea but the money has to come from somewhere and taxing businesses isn't the answer as that would cause unemployment which is consistent with Labour's past record where unemployment is always higher when they leave government than when they arrived.