+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone put together Ikea

International

Can anyone put together Ikea

I wardrobe and 1 chest of drawers. Urgent help needed.

Re: Can anyone put together Ikea

Yes I did both last year. The chest of drawers is easy but the wardrobe is a bit of a b****r.

International

I enquired about costs. to construct a £237.00 wardrobe costs £110.00. To construct a 6 drawer chest which cost £85.00 is £38.00. It seems a bit OTT don't you think??

International

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Yes I did both last year. The chest of drawers is easy but the wardrobe is a bit of a b****r.
    Accotding to the drawings it needs 2 to erect the wardrobe. At least I think that's what it says.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Accotding to the drawings it needs 2 to erect the wardrobe. At least I think that's what it says.
    Ikea stuff is a piece of piss compared to the old MFI

Which instructions began with:

1) Sit down; relax; enjoy a nice cuppa tea.

International

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Yeah but with IKEA you hope there aren't any bits missing, with MFI I knew there would be!!!!

Yeah but with IKEA you hope there aren't any bits missing, with MFI I knew there would be!!!!
    I know what you mean 😂
    Seriously though, I’ve always found Ikea furniture very easy to assemble. You usually need a hammer and a screwdriver, and a couple of malt whiskies.

Meant to say. The instructions are more by picture than word, but you can easily identify which section is which, and which is left and right, by looking at the amount of dowel holes in each picture.👍

I enquired about costs. to construct a £237.00 wardrobe costs £110.00. To construct a 6 drawer chest which cost £85.00 is £38.00. It seems a bit OTT don't you think??
    At the end of the day you're paying for someone's time. £20 an hour isn't unreasonable.
    Also think that it's not cheap cos they don't want too many people using the service.

Just put in make/model of your furniture you bought on YouTube and a friendly little bald headed man will be there to show you how to assemble it as easy as abc - 123.
    Im the world's worst D I Y"r but the video I followed to assemble the 4 drawers chest of drawers was so easy to copy him as he went along.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Ah, the acronym of Custer’s last words.

I dare anyone to try and put together the aldi kids wooden kitchen without wanting to commit mass homicide.

IKEA stuff is pretty good to put together just sort all your pieces out first.

Wait until you progress to the Cabin bed / wardrobe / chest of drawers / desk combination it's like a 1000 piece jigsaw 2m x 2m x 1m

Wardrobes can be tricky as they can collapse if not got two people holding.....chest of drawers though? Easy

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I dare anyone to try and put together the aldi kids wooden kitchen without wanting to commit mass homicide.

IKEA stuff is pretty good to put together just sort all your pieces out first.

I remember buying a toy ride along tractor for one of my boys a few years ago for Christmas, it came in a huge box so I stupidly assumed it came constructed, plus it was mainly all plastic. I still break out in a sweat when I recall “just checking” the contents of it before I wrapped it late one Christmas Eve......didn’t help I’d had a few, b@stard steering was a mare....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Wardrobes can be tricky as they can collapse if not got two people holding.....chest of drawers though? Easy
    Yes they do that. it has to lifted off the floor properly in to an upright position. The doors are very heavy too, well the ones I had have got mirrors, and easy to drop on your foot....as I did!

International

I've borrowed the tools and I'm doing it myself tomorrow. I can see a divorce looming!!!!!! (Myself with the boy helping I might add. The extra pair of hands)

Mate just do what I done, there's a Spanish IKEA youtube channel that shows you video tutorials.

It is easy just take your time and read twice before doing anything the worst thing about IKEA assembly is flying away and having to take the thing apart again because you made a mistake on step five, you may not realise until step thirteen!!

[I] can recommend my neighbour for this sort of work. He just gone on his own after working for a big company.
    his prices are reasonable.
    Gareth on 07881097629 if anyone is interested.

I wardrobe and 1 chest of drawers. Urgent help needed.
    I think ikea instructions are a great example of clarity. Just look closely and make sure you are connecting the right parts. You may have similar sized pieces of the carcass that superficially look the same but may in fact be different eg top and bottom may have different holes for attaching to the sides, but if you look closely at the instructions it really does show all of the detail you need to identify each part. Watch out for whacking dowels into holes meant for screws too. I’d use a screwdriver rather than a combi drill to drive the screws in, but if you do use a drill turn the torque right down else you could drive things in too far which isn’t very clever. And if you are missing or break any screws, cams, dowels or whatever (which is very rare) you can pick spares up for free in store. My local one has them in little drawers in the customer service section. The main thing to keep on top of is keeping everything square, especially the wardrobe. Ikea relies on the back being square so carefully follow the order in which you pin the back panel to the corners, but if you can get your hands on a framing square it will be a helpful check.

Throw away the instructions and wing it.