+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ladies football Eng VScotland

Re: Ladies football Eng VScotland

How can you virute signal about football

Why are people so desperate to compare it to the men's game and to slag it off? Even if they don't watch it?

Seems a weird thing to get so annoyed about.

The funny thing is this article describes a lot of posters to a tee

https://www.football365.com/news/mis...-about-to-boom

All good news, then, presumably matched by universal support? Behave. Out came the cynics, boors and bores in their droves. Some opted for social media patronising. Others resorted to dismal chauvinism or sexism. Many more boasted that they hold no interest in watching women’s football. Thanks for keeping us informed, fellas; we’ll update the database. People used to recommend things they like. Now they consider it their duty to tell the world what they don’t like.
    Imagine genuinley typing this opinion out:

If the men went at it full throttle each tackle would likely dislocate joints and/or break limbs. Speed is crucial in football and given that men are 15% quicker than women the men would run rings round the women, both figuratively and literally.

I would love it, LOVE IT if such a match could be played.
    Everyone knows men are faster and stronger than women already mate, well done for pointing it out

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    There’s so much virtue-signalling from male football fans over the WWC. The standard is that of 12 year-old boys. Very skilful 12 year-old boys admittedly.

When France scored their third against South Korea (the kind of goal Thierry Henry was famous for scoring) the commentator (I think that it was Barry Davies] shrieked like he had won the lottery while having an orgasm. Yes, it was a decent strike but the ball was travelling at about 30 mph and curled almost imperceptibly.

Can you imagine a match between, say, Newport County and one of these women’s teams. If the men went at it full throttle each tackle would likely dislocate joints and/or break limbs. Speed is crucial in football and given that men are 15% quicker than women the men would run rings round the women, both figuratively and literally.

You would love it LOVE IT if you could watch a game where men were breaking women's limbs?

People are happy to watch and support female athletes or tennis players without having to compare them to males, so I don't see why football couldn't be different.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You would love it LOVE IT if you could watch a game where men were breaking women's limbs?
    I would love to see a match between a lower league men’s team and a World XI women’s team. I wouldn’t like any women to be injured but it would probably happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    People are happy to watch and support female athletes or tennis players without having to compare them to males, so I don't see why football couldn't be different.
    I object to the demands that men’s sport should subsidise women’s prize money or salaries. Women’s tennis is shite.

I would love to see a match between a lower league men’s team and a World XI women’s team. I wouldn’t like any women to be injured but it would probably happen.
    Women's team have played under 18s and lost, obviously because of the strength and speed advantage.

Why would you love to watch it? Because you want to see that men are better than women?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The funny thing is this article describes a lot of posters to a tee

https://www.football365.com/news/mis...-about-to-boom

Imagine genuinley typing this opinion out:

Everyone knows men are faster and stronger than women already mate, well done for pointing it out
    It's the bit where he says that he's 'love it' a very strange sense of satisfaction, maybe it's a fantasy of his.

I object to the demands that men’s sport should subsidise women’s prize money or salaries. Women’s tennis is shite.
    How is men's football subsidising women's football?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's the bit where he says that he's 'love it' a very strange sense of satisfaction, maybe it's a fantasy of his.
    It sounds like he just really likes men.

It sounds like he just really likes men.
    Yup, although that's fine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, although that's fine as well.
    Yes completely fine, I just can't think of any other explanation to why someone would be so desperate for men to beat women.

Yes completely fine, I just can't think of any other explanation to why someone would be so desperate for men to beat women.
    If they hate women?

Yep 2 good reasons, I wonder which one it is?

Is subtext a little too complicated for your one-track mind? I don’t like women’s demands that men’s football should subsidise their sport. I don’t like the oft-made assertion that women’s teams could compete with men’s teams. I hope that women’s football flourishes and makes loads of money from ticket sales, sponsorship and TV money. Somehow though. I don’t think it will happen because the product is nowhere near the standard of say, the Welsh Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    If they hate women?
    I don’t hate women. I’m sat with my adult daughter now watching her choice, Love Island on Sky Q. I spend every Wednesday night with my wife’s darts team. Most of my working life has been spent with women, working in teaching, psychology and politics. So stop trying to smear me.

I don’t like women’s demands that men’s football should subsidise their sport - where does that happen and why don't you like it? Is it not good for girls and women to take part in sport?

Would men's football subsidising getting girls interested in football worse for you than them spending £100k a week on wages?

I don’t like the oft-made assertion that women’s teams could compete with men’s teams - who has ever said this?

I hope that women’s football flourishes and makes loads of money from ticket sales, sponsorship and TV money. Somehow though. I don’t think it will happen because the product is nowhere near the standard of say, the Welsh Premier League. - If you read that article I posted you'll see the Women's Premier League has just got a huge sponsorship deal and there have recently been women's matches with attendances of ~60,000. Is this a bad thing even if it did have a leg up from the men's game?
    Even if all this is wrong, is it normal to be so vitriolic about women's football just because you don't like it?

Why are you so desperate to see a man's team beat a woman's team? So you can show all those people that are enjoying the world cup that they shouldn't? Such a weird, angry point of view

There’s so much virtue-signalling from male football fans over the WWC. The standard is that of 12 year-old boys. Very skilful 12 year-old boys admittedly.

When France scored their third against South Korea (the kind of goal Thierry Henry was famous for scoring) the commentator (I think that it was Barry Davies] shrieked like he had won the lottery while having an orgasm. Yes, it was a decent strike but the ball was travelling at about 30 mph and curled almost imperceptibly.

Can you imagine a match between, say, Newport County and one of these women’s teams. If the men went at it full throttle each tackle would likely dislocate joints and/or break limbs. Speed is crucial in football and given that men are 15% quicker than women the men would run rings round the women, both figuratively and literally.

You could have stopped typing and saved yourself some time by ending your message after five words - like "snowflake", the use of the term "virtue signalling" In a thread about women's football tells you everything you need to know about someone's opinion on the subject.

Barry Davies is 81 and, apart from one game in 2014 as part of the celebration of Match of the Day's fiftieth anniversary, last commentated on a football match for the BBC in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You could have stopped typing and saved yourself some time by ending your message after five words - like "snowflake", the use of the term "virtue signalling" In a thread about women's football tells you everything you need to know about someone's opinion on the subject.

Barry Davies is 81 and, apart from one game in 2014 as part of the celebration of Match of the Day's fiftieth anniversary, last commentated on a football match for the BBC in 2006.
    Well whoever the commentator was he went overboard with his praise.

Virtue signalling means pretending to be more enthusiastic about a (progessive) cause/event than you really are to gain kudos from like-minded people. Many people do it and it betrays a certain mindset that I find rather sad. It is actually quite dishonest.

I remember watching the 2011 World Cup and being elated that the incredibly skilful play of the Japanese team was rewarded with the ultimate prize. I had no one to discuss the matches with as nobody I knew watched the tournament. However I had no desire to tell all and sundry about it on social media/the WWW because, in the final analysis, women's football just isn't very good compared to the men's game.

If anyone of the posters who disagree with my opinion think that they are affecting me in any way by piling on, please understand that I find your viewpoints and debating styles utterly laughable.

I really do not get the constant " knocking " of girls / ladies football on forums, Yes the skill-set is far from the mens game, but the ladies football really doesnt have the same amount of cash spent on it and is very much in its infancy , the mens game has progressed as far as it will, in 20 years maybe the ladies game will catch up and close the gap

lets enjoy it for what it is, a game of football played by people who love to play the game, it shouldnt be a competition between which game is the better, they are 2 separate entities

Virtue signalling means pretending to be more enthusiastic about a (progessive) cause/event than you really are to gain kudos from like-minded people. Many people do it and it betrays a certain mindset that I find rather sad. It is actually quite dishonest.

I remember watching the 2011 World Cup and being elated that the incredibly skilful play of the Japanese team was rewarded with the ultimate prize. I had no one to discuss the matches with as nobody I knew watched the tournament. However I had no desire to tell all and sundry about it on social media/the WWW because, in the final analysis, women's football just isn't very good compared to the men's game.

If anyone of the posters who disagree with my opinion think that they are affecting me in any way by piling on, please understand that I find your viewpoints and debating styles utterly laughable.
    Everyone knows what virtue signalling means, it's more the fact that only one type of person uses that phrase ever.

No one is piling on you people are just questioning your opinion and you haven't answered anyone with a straight answer.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I really do not get the constant " knocking " of girls / ladies football on forums, Yes the skill-set is far from the mens game, but the ladies football really doesnt have the same amount of cash spent on it and is very much in its infancy , the mens game has progressed as far as it will, in 20 years maybe the ladies game will catch up and close the gap

lets enjoy it for what it is, a game of football played by people who love to play the game, it shouldnt be a competition between which game is the better, they are 2 separate entities

This whole bit would make more sense if you weren't attacking people for doing it on a forum that specifically exists to discuss football

It’s quite pathetic comparing Women’s football to men’s. Why do some people constantly do it?
    Just enjoy it for what it is, or don’t watch it if you don’t like it.
    It’s as daft as comparing different men’s sports.
    A top 10 tennis player would hammer a top 10 squash player at tennis, and vice versa.
    The world 8 ball champion would hammer Judd Trump at 8 ball and vice versa etc etc.