+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Welsh youth thread...

Blue in the Face

The Welsh youth thread...

A thread dedicated to Welsh youth teams, Welsh youth players at Cardiff and beyond...

Any updates, news, games, links - just bump the thread and keep the discussion going.

Blue in the Face

Re: The Welsh youth thread...

WALES U21 SQUAD ANNOUNCED: ARMENIA BRINGS CLOSURE TO U21 CAMPAIGN

The final qualifier takes place in Yereven, Armenia on Tuesday, 11th October.

http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/wales-u...-u21-campaign/

Manager Geraint Williams has named his final Wales Under-21 squad of the current UEFA Under-21 EURO 2017 qualifying campaign as his side look to finish on a high when they make the difficult journey to Armenia to face the Group 5 minnows on Tuesday, 11 October.

Recent results dictate that Wales are no longer in the qualification mix, and at best can now only move up one place to third if other results are favourable. However, things were very different earlier in the year, when Williams' then-undefeated side headed to Bulgaria and Romania for a qualification double-header that would eventually define their campaign. But a 0-0 draw in Bulgaria was followed by a disappointing 2-1 reverse in Romania over the Easter period, and Wales were left with the difficult task of having to claim maximum points in their remaining three games against Denmark, Luxembourg and next opponents Armenia.

After a 4-0 defeat to Denmark in Wrexham, a late Jake Charles equaliser claimed a share of the points against Luxembourg at Bangor a few days later, but it was too little too late in a campaign that had promised so much with early results.

Armenia currently sit bottom of Group 5, their only point coming at home in a 1-1 draw against Luxembourg last October. Wales defeated Armenia 2-1 at Bangor last November when Harry Wilson made headlines with an injury-time winner after Ellis Harrison had put the side ahead from the penalty spot.

WALES U21 SQUAD

Billy O’Brien (Manchester City)
    Michael Crowe (Ipswich Town)
    Declan John (Cardiff City)
    Jordan Evans (Wrexham)
    Joe Rodon (Swansea City)
    Tom Lockyer (Bristol Rovers)
    Connor Roberts (Swansea City, on loan with Bristol City)
    Gethin Jones (Everton)
    Dominic Smith (Shrewsbury Town, on loan with Barrow)
    Regan Poole (Manchester United)
    Dan James (Swansea City)
    Josh Sheehan (Swansea City, on loan with Newport County)
    Jake Charles (Barnsley)
    Tom O’Sullivan (Cardiff City)
    George Williams (Fulham, on loan with MK Dons)
    Ellis Harrison (Bristol Rovers)
    Harry Wilson (Liverpool)

Blue in the Face

I'll post links for the game tomorrow if I can find any online.

A very strong u21 squad on paper compared to previous games in the campaign. Two Bluebirds in the squad in Declan and Tommy. Joe Rodon of Swansea his risen through the age groups very quickly and is a player I rate. Connor Roberts drafted in after a very successful loan last year.

Lee Evans out of the squad, after a few poor performances on the trot. This could be due to injury I'm not sure. This squad is light on centre mids, so I wonder if the intention is to use Poole as a holding player as he was deployed against Denmark. Gethin Jones can also play centre mid.

Ben Woodburn is the star of Liverpool's U23s but doesn't get into our U21 side. Bit odd.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Gabalphaville View Post
    Ben Woodburn is the star of Liverpool's U23s but doesn't get into our U21 side. Bit odd.
    He was in a Wales u19 training camp this week. He has been promoted up from the u17 where he was playing before the summer, so he is rising through the ranks. The Bluebirds academy have the greatest number of players in the camp!! The same goes for the last u17 squad.

Wales Under 19s training camp
    For the upcoming UEFA qualifying tournament, with matches in North Wales, and being played at Bangor, Rhyl and Wrexham, coach David Hughes has selected a 22-man squad.

The camp is in preparation for the UEFA qualifiers in November. Wales will face England, Greece and Luxembourg.

Wales squad:
    Aaron Jones (Everton)
    Scott Coughlin (Cardiff City)
    Jack Bodenham (Cardiff City)
    Cole Dasilva (Chelsea)
    Cameron Coxe (Cardiff City)
    Rhys Abbruzzese (Cardiff City)
    Aaron Lewis (Swansea City)
    Max Smallcombe (Exeter City)
    Jack Challis (Bristol City)
    Liam Angel (Newport County)
    Dan Jefferies (Swansea City)
    Rhyle Ovenden (Watford)
    Matthew Smith (Manchester City)
    Ibriam Sosani (Cardiff City)
    Ryan Harrington (Everton)
    Nathan Broadhead (Everton)
    Jack Evans (Swansea City)
    Ben Woodburn (Liverpool)
    Leo Smith (Wrexham)
    Mark Harris (Cardiff City)
    Liam Cullen (Swansea City)
    Kieran Evans (Swansea City).

Blue in the Face

Wales Under 19s UEFA matches.
    UEFA qualifying tournament

Fixtures:
    Wales in Group 6

Thursday 10 November 2016.
    Wales v Greece
    Kick off 4pm (UK or CET tbc): Racecourse Ground, Wrexham.

Saturday 12 November 2016.
    Wales v England
    Kick off 6pm (UK or CET tbc): Nantporth, Bangor.

Tuesday 15 November 2016.
    Wales v Luxembourg
    Kick off 6pm (UK or CET tbc): Nantporth, Bangor.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    WALES U21 SQUAD ANNOUNCED: ARMENIA BRINGS CLOSURE TO U21 CAMPAIGN

The final qualifier takes place in Yereven, Armenia on Tuesday, 11th October.

http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/wales-u...-u21-campaign/

Manager Geraint Williams has named his final Wales Under-21 squad of the current UEFA Under-21 EURO 2017 qualifying campaign as his side look to finish on a high when they make the difficult journey to Armenia to face the Group 5 minnows on Tuesday, 11 October.

Recent results dictate that Wales are no longer in the qualification mix, and at best can now only move up one place to third if other results are favourable. However, things were very different earlier in the year, when Williams' then-undefeated side headed to Bulgaria and Romania for a qualification double-header that would eventually define their campaign. But a 0-0 draw in Bulgaria was followed by a disappointing 2-1 reverse in Romania over the Easter period, and Wales were left with the difficult task of having to claim maximum points in their remaining three games against Denmark, Luxembourg and next opponents Armenia.

After a 4-0 defeat to Denmark in Wrexham, a late Jake Charles equaliser claimed a share of the points against Luxembourg at Bangor a few days later, but it was too little too late in a campaign that had promised so much with early results.

Armenia currently sit bottom of Group 5, their only point coming at home in a 1-1 draw against Luxembourg last October. Wales defeated Armenia 2-1 at Bangor last November when Harry Wilson made headlines with an injury-time winner after Ellis Harrison had put the side ahead from the penalty spot.

WALES U21 SQUAD

Billy O’Brien (Manchester City)
    Michael Crowe (Ipswich Town)
    Declan John (Cardiff City)
    Jordan Evans (Wrexham)
    Joe Rodon (Swansea City)
    Tom Lockyer (Bristol Rovers)
    Connor Roberts (Swansea City, on loan with Bristol City) HE'S ON LOAN AT BRIZZLE ROVERS
    Gethin Jones (Everton)
    Dominic Smith (Shrewsbury Town, on loan with Barrow)
    Regan Poole (Manchester United)
    Dan James (Swansea City)
    Josh Sheehan (Swansea City, on loan with Newport County)
    Jake Charles (Barnsley)
    Tom O’Sullivan (Cardiff City)
    George Williams (Fulham, on loan with MK Dons)
    Ellis Harrison (Bristol Rovers)
    Harry Wilson (Liverpool)

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Connor Roberts (Swansea City, on loan with Bristol City) HE'S ON LOAN AT BRIZZLE ROVERS.
    True. Thanks for the correction. I just copied and pasted from the FAW site.

Brizzle Rovers are now regularly starting all three of their Welsh u21s at league one level now and doing well in the league. Good news.

Brizzle Rovers are now regularly starting all three of their Welsh u21s at league one level now and doing well in the league. Good news.

They've always had Welsh players, in the 60's they had a youth side playing in Cardiff youth league , Clifton Villa

Blue in the Face

They've always had Welsh players, in the 60's they had a youth side playing in Cardiff youth league , Clifton Villa
    I had no idea that was the case. I guess Rovers were a much bigger club in those days than they are now.

There's still a big Welsh connection there. As well as Lockyer, Harrison and Roberts on loan, there's Billy Bodin (just earnt a fresh contract there) and I think ex Wales international Jermaine Easter still plays for Rovers (??) not sure.

Rovers also have three Welsh youngsters Danny Greenslade, Jamie Lucas and Ryan Broom. Jamie Lucas is a striker from Pontyprydd who has shown good potential apparently.

Was thinking the same. I like the look of Harrison. Hope he makes it into the senior team in the future.
    Spedger

I remember them having a scouting system in South Wales. They had Frankie Prince and Peter Aitkin from Penarth that made it. Martyn Thomas from Senghenydd was another.
    Spedger

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Was thinking the same. I like the look of Harrison. Hope he makes it into the senior team in the future.
    Spedger
    Whenever I've seen Harrison for the Welsh u21s, he's been chucked on the left wing and has struggled. But whenever I've seen him for Rovers, they use him as a no.9 and he does really well. He certainly has good physical attributes and he's already clocked up a lot of league experience for such a young player. Wes Burns was getting the no.9 spot for the Welsh u21s over the past couple of years and does well there. He's surprisingly strong for his size. He's not in this squad for some reason so possibly Harrison will get the no.9 tomorrow.

The other option for Wales is Jake Charles who has just moved to Barnsley. Rumours are that Barnsley paid a big fee for him but it was undisclosed so this could be nonsense.

I would hope we give him a cap asap like we done with Harry wilson hopefully Wilson can get over his injuries because last I heard he was picking up a lot of muscle injuries got high hopes for those 2

Blue in the Face

Some changes to the squad (posted above) for the last group game. Three winger/strikers are brought into the squad in the form of Jamie Thomas (On loan at Ayr - Burnley stole him off Bolton over the summer), Owain Jones (Swansea) & George Thomas (Coventry). Jordan Evans and Ryan Hedges are out as they are getting games for their clubs and this game is a dead rubber. I expect Declan to start ahead of Evans at left back anyway.

The way Williams talks about Gethin Jones in the above vid, sounds like this will be captain Gethin Jones last appearance for the u21s. This may be the case for some of the other older heads like O'Sullivan and Lockyer too perhaps? I feel this is a good idea as its time to give some other younger faces some experience at this level now. There are other worthy candidates who are now getting regular league football and haven't had a chance for the u21s such as Aaron Collins (On loan at Notts County from Wolves and scoring goals) as well as left footed centre back Cian Harries who is a regular started at Coventry having captained their DVP side.

Aaron Collins seems to be be becoming the Tom Bradshaw of U21s - outscoring all other strikers not deemed good enough obviously. Also for some reason Barrow sub Dom Smith preferred to Cian Harries, a regular this season for Coventry. Get feeling Williams not doing his homework these days - but might be wrong.

I will post a link for today's game if I can find one. Most times there is a link to be found but I'm not sure about today's game.
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 11-10-16 at 13:01.

Blue in the Face

I inadvertently stole this bit from another poster on another forum as I was copying and pasting the info about the changes to the squad. He makes good points though I feel...

"Aaron Collins seems to be be becoming the Tom Bradshaw of U21s - outscoring all other strikers not deemed good enough obviously. Also for some reason Barrow sub Dom Smith preferred to Cian Harries, a regular this season for Coventry. Get feeling Williams not doing his homework these days - but might be wrong."

We are going to be due another couple of centre backs soon, Collins surely to retire after the World Cup and Ash will be getting on too. I think Ben Davies will be moulded into a centre half, if not at Spurs, definitely at another club.

Gethin Jones has a great set of attributes and hope to see him really kick on at club level in the next year or two. Tom Lockyer surely due a call up if one of Chester, Davies, Williams or Collins get injured.

Anyone know how Josh Yorwerth is getting on at Crawley?

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    We are going to be due another couple of centre backs soon, Collins surely to retire after the World Cup and Ash will be getting on too. I think Ben Davies will be moulded into a centre half, if not at Spurs, definitely at another club.

Gethin Jones has a great set of attributes and hope to see him really kick on at club level in the next year or two. Tom Lockyer surely due a call up if one of Chester, Davies, Williams or Collins get injured.

Anyone know how Josh Yorwerth is getting on at Crawley?
    I think Lockyer is next in line due to how much league experience he has now. Rodon at Swansea looks very good from what I've seen. He might well spring onto the scene at some point. Jordon Williams at Liverpool seems to have gone off the radar recently. He could be injured.

I just wonder if Gethin Jones might end up being a centre back at some stage because of his height and strength. He started out as a box to box midfielder then was moved to right back, apparently because of his pace. He's a player I've rate even if his recent Welsh performances haven't been great.

Ampadu looks more like a holding player at present, but might end up as a ball playing CB when he inevitably works his way up the levels. And I wonder if Regan Poole might end up being a holding player too? Geriant Williams tried to have him sit in front of the defence for Wales but he didn't look that comfortable. He's still playing at CB for the Man U DVP. Poole still looks slightly too small for a CB though.

Bad news on Yorwerth I'm afraid...
    http://www.merthyrtownfc.co.uk/news/...s-for-martyrs/
    Maybe he can rebuild his career, but he doesn't seem to have taken his chances and is currently working his way down. I could indulge internet rumours about him but that would be very much unfair on him.
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 11-10-16 at 13:30.

I think Lockyer is next in line due to how much league experience he has now. Rodon at Swansea looks very good from what I've seen. He might well spring onto the scene at some point. Jordon Williams at Liverpool seems to have gone off the radar recently. He could be injured.

I just wonder if Gethin Jones might end up being a centre back at some stage because of his height and strength. He started out as a box to box midfielder then was moved to right back, apparently because of his pace. He's a player I've rate even if his recent Welsh performances haven't been great.

Ampadu looks more like a holding player at present, but might end up as a ball playing CB when he inevitably works his way up the levels. And I wonder if Regan Poole might end up being a holding player too? Geriant Williams tried to have him sit in front of the defence for Wales but he didn't look that comfortable. He's still playing at CB for the Man U DVP. Poole still looks slightly too small for a CB though.

Bad news on Yorwerth I'm afraid...
    http://www.merthyrtownfc.co.uk/news/...s-for-martyrs/
    Maybe he can rebuild his career, but he doesn't seem to have taken his chances and is currently working his way down. I could indulge internet rumours about him but that would be very much unfair on him.
    Think Poole will be a useful addition to our squad in future. Can play holding midfield or right-sided centre-half. He needs to go out on loan somewhere first though. Ditto Wilson.

Shame to see Yorwerth has dropped another few divisions, though he's still young and has plenty of time to get back into it if he really wants to.
    When was the last time Jordan Williams was called up for the 21s? Haven't seen his name for a long time. Regan Poole surely to become a regular for the u21s now as well as loads of those players are 20-21 aren't they?

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Shame to see Yorwerth has dropped another few divisions, though he's still young and has plenty of time to get back into it if he really wants to.
    When was the last time Jordan Williams was called up for the 21s? Haven't seen his name for a long time. Regan Poole surely to become a regular for the u21s now as well as loads of those players are 20-21 aren't they?
    On Yorwerth. I think he definately has the talent for league football. I think he can work his way back up to league one level at least. He's looked very comfortable at u21 level for Wales for sure. Perhaps it's a case of desire for him?

Maybe Poole might even be the next u21 captain? The lad has so much experience for such a young defender.

Jordan Williams went on loan to Swindon, was starting games then got crocked and needed an op. He missed the rest of last season and was out for 9 months. Liverpool DVP play him in midfield and defence, but my guess is he'll end up being a CB. Hopefully he breaks through this year with a loan in Jan and gets games for the u21 Welsh set up.

Think Poole will be a useful addition to our squad in future. Can play holding midfield or right-sided centre-half. He needs to go out on loan somewhere first though. Ditto Wilson.
    I'd love to steal him back properly one day. He is a bluebirds fan.

Blue in the Face

Wales U21 Starting XI: Crowe, Jones (c), John, Poole, Rodon, Smith, Wilson, Sheehan, Harrison, O Sullivan, Williams.

Crowe starts ahead of O'Brien. One of the good thing about this crop of players is that we have two genuine goal keeping prospects. Crowe is eligible for Norway but always turns up for Wales. He's also made the bench for Ipswich in league games so they McCarthy clearly rates him.

Either Poole is a holding player here, or the u21 side are replicating the senior's formation.

Blue in the Face

Link for the game. Hit link 3 if it doesn't go there automatically.

http://www.feed4u.me/watch/1724543/3...Wales-U21.html

Wales in grey

Enjoy!

Link for the game. Hit link 3 if it doesn't go there automatically.

http://www.feed4u.me/watch/1724543/3...Wales-U21.html

Wales in grey

Enjoy!
    Cheers for link

Nice to see them following tradition in that pic.