+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV Licence

TV Licence

Re: TV Licence

What's the law.
    I can live without BBC TV at home.

We need real guidance on what we ha e to do to legally avoid having to pay these
    Tax raising lefties.

There must be a way to opt out now surely.

I ask because I'm paying two bloody licence fees.

Tax raising lefties.
    Wasn't the government funding scrapped so the bbc have kept it going themselves for quite a while?

The bbc will still be paying a third of the cost for poorer pensioners too.

It may not be ideal but there are more pensioners than ever so it was always going to be difficult to keep it going after the tories cut the funding.

They should scrap the licence and add a tiny amount to the income tax to pay for it

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    They should scrap the licence and add a tiny amount to the income tax to pay for it
    I think the tories would love to be rid of the bbc just like the NHS. I remember when the funding was cut in 2015 the free to over 75s was expected to be scrapped completely anyway, I'm surprised this has come to anyone as a surprise.

Well not that surprised thatthe posters who just post "lefty" as an insult have such short memories.

The plug will be pulled on free bus passes next!

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think the tories would love to be rid of the bbc just like the NHS. I remember when the funding was cut in 2015 the free to over 75s was expected to be scrapped completely anyway, I'm surprised this has come to anyone as a surprise.

Well not that surprised thatthe posters who just post "lefty" as an insult have such short memories.
    Considering Whittingdale was Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, they'd love to get rid of it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...e-impartiality

And Matt Hancock is funded heavily by the Taxpayers' Alliance, so bye bye NHS.

Is the law the same as it used to be.
    If you don't have a television you don't need to pay.
    If so I'm getting rid of the TV.
    I can have a monitor for Sky etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Is the law the same as it used to be.
    If you don't have a television you don't need to pay.
    If so I'm getting rid of the TV.
    I can have a monitor for Sky etc.
    If you watch any live tv (incl Sky) on any device (incl a monitor) then you need a tv licence,

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Considering Whittingdale was Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, they'd love to get rid of it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...e-impartiality

And Matt Hancock is funded heavily by the Taxpayers' Alliance, so bye bye NHS.
    Yep both of these will be gone soon and they'll be missed.

People slag the bbc and call it a "lefty" organisation (I'd love to know which part of it because it certainly isn't the news and current affairs part of it).

But the value for money is crazy, I don't watch much tv but for 5 live, radio 4 and 6 music alone I'd pay the fee, the podcast archive they have is incredible too, match of the day an FA cup coverage, the amount of amazing comedy produced over the last 6 months alone, then stuff they broadcast like killing eve and peaky blinders, plus all the documentaries they have.

All that for £150 a year!

I wouldn't watch their news or politics coverage ever, but people need to realise not everything on it can be aimed at everyone.

And why is it everyone who seems to hate the bbc are the same people who are pro brexit, deny climate change, love trump etc? It's almost as if certain people are all affected by the same propaganda.

And why is it everyone who seems to hate the bbc are the same people who are pro brexit, deny climate change, love trump etc? It's almost as if certain people are all affected by the same propaganda.
    The same people that have been made by the BBC etc. If it wasn't for the BBC, Farage wouldn't be a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    The same people that have been made by the BBC etc. If it wasn't for the BBC, Farage wouldn't be a thing.
    And they helped climate change deniers too, by getting on one person from each side of the argument for balance. Normally it was Nigel Lawson (that known environmental expert) on the denial side.

why pay for some thing that you never ordered and never use. ( in my case)

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    How are you giving tv advice (http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...99-or-%A33-999) if you don't watch a tv?

And watching bbc wales here - http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...Mondat-evening

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    What's the law.
    I can live without BBC TV at home.

We need real guidance on what we ha e to do to legally avoid having to pay these
    Tax raising lefties.

There must be a way to opt out now surely.

I ask because I'm paying two bloody licence fees.
    How come?
    Do you have two houses?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Definitely. If the BBC stopped competing with the private sector by making programmes like Eastenders and Strictly, which are ideal for mass-market commercial TV, then it could even be paid for without any increase in tax. The Australian equivalent is paid for from general taxation.

Why do they have to send production teams to far-off places to cover events, staying at the best hotels, when they could hire a local stringer to report in for them?

It's a public service broadcaster which thinks it's an institution.

It does produce some excellent stuff and could still do that if financed by taxation and run more efficiently.

Even if you never watch it you are still enjoying many benefits of its being there.

It has a profound effect on the quality of program making in the UK. Look at other countries like France or Australia, the locally produced TV there is really amateurish. The tone of news broadcasting.
    The money spent by the BBC brings much more than that back into the country, many times over.
    It is a key part of UK soft power, which considering we are about to leave the EU, seems more important than ever.

It's like saying you don't drive a car, so you don't benefit from money spent on the roads, or you have no kids so you dont benefit from spending on education. Equally bogus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mansfield View Post
    Definitely. If the BBC stopped competing with the private sector by making programmes like Eastenders and Strictly, which are ideal for mass-market commercial TV, then it could even be paid for without any increase in tax. The Australian equivalent is paid for from general taxation.

Why do they have to send production teams to far-off places to cover events, staying at the best hotels, when they could hire a local stringer to report in for them?

It's a public service broadcaster which thinks it's an institution.

It does produce some excellent stuff and could still do that if financed by taxation and run more efficiently.
    I don't think anyone is saying it's perfect but how many big organisations are?

The value for money we get is incredible imo.

Look how much more sky costs and what you get for it (plus adverts!).

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    And they helped climate change deniers too, by getting on one person from each side of the argument for balance. Normally it was Nigel Lawson (that known environmental expert) on the denial side.
    We've got an environmental scientist, who's studied all his life on the subject, and let's be honest, is a little dry.

On the opposite side, we've got Ben Shapiro. https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/stat...80309671747585

If you own any device - including a computer - capable of receiving a live TV signal then you need a licence. Some people were getting round it by not owning a TV and then watching catch-up on their computers, so the BBC started checking on people watching the iPlayer.

How are you giving tv advice (http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...99-or-%A33-999) if you don't watch a tv?

And watching bbc wales here - http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...Mondat-evening
    i live in Sweden, impossible for me to watch those.

Why have you got a TV License if you live in Sweden?

Or is it that you never watch the BBC because you can't?

Why are you paying for a tv license then?

You have a choice with Sky. You don't get fined or put in prison for not subscribing to Sky. There's nothing stopping the BBC from producing quality shows if financed some other way, and as I said it shouldn't be competing with mass-market commercial TV. They have to make their money from the market, not from public money. Fans of Eastenders wouldn't stop watching if it carried a few minutes of ads, like Corrie.

As for its news and current affairs, it's nothing more than a news production agency. If you want real journalism, real investigative reporting you have to look elsewhere. The BBC won't rock the boat, it's an establishment channel which needs to please all the people all the time to ensure its licence fee. If it pisses off the powers that be then the phone calls will come and it'll lose its privileges.

When the switch from analogue to Freeview digital came in, there was thought of making everyone buy a box with encoding built it so it could receive encoded subscription-only channels. The BBC saw the threat: it might be forced to offer some of its channels on a private subscription basis. It opposed the idea, and the govt gave in to its lobbying.

Its remit is wrong, it's too big and should be restructured. This is not about value for money but rather what should a public service broadcaster do and what's the fairest, most efficient way to finance it.

What do you get from Sky? Many more channels than on the BBC.