Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
at that age, the academies are cash cows, nothing more, nothing less, The parents know it, but they still go on the of chance that little johnny is in that 1 or 2 % of them that make it in the game, and why shouldnt they, if they can afford it, chasing that dream costs big money

We have a Southampton one in Bath, certain nights of the week the pitches are full at the STV with Southampton, I got chatting to a coach about the sheer numbers of kids who are involved and how i bet a very small % will make it, he laughed and said " but look at them ( pointing at the parents ) they all love it "
It's bad it distracts the kids, they get cocky and don't pay attention in lessons because they are going to be a footballer, ten years later they miss out on University and other options often and face the reality that they weren't really that good and they've failed!

Obviously, not everyone, but I've seen it happen to a few, and as above it's often the parents that really want it more than the kids.

Personally, I hope my Grandkids are half decent and enjoy football for fun, rather than be excellent but not good enough!