Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
Early professionalism is always a negative for kids (say under 14) and this is definitely a factor that coaches and parents don't appreciate enough.

In my opinion kids are far too often treated like commodities in academies and human side of the clubs decision making is lost as the coaches get hardened in the process.

However there has been great efforts by some academies to change this along with the DNA programme and incorporate things like street football and bring the fun back into for the children.

My lad plays and loves it. Will he be a professional footballer? The chances are NO.

But what would be the alternative? Gone are the days where kids come home and are out with their friends playing football or on their bikes. He'd probably spend the majority of his time on the xbox playing fortnite or on his phone!

Like Mozzer said, the differences between the academies and the development system is chalk and cheese. The development system is largely a cash cow for clubs and it often gives parents and children a false impression that they're in the "academy".

There is definitely an ethics issue regarding an 8 year old boy being 'released' and I believe that clubs should be forced to show a greater duty of care in their recruitment process rather bringing loads of kids in before starting the deselection process!

A parents duty of care comes in choosing an academy with a good environment for a child to thrive as a person as well as a footballer and remaining grounded.

If in a good environment a kid will prosper socially, keep fit, learn discipline and inevitably get better at football.

I see qccfc point regarding multi sports and have read a bit of Epstein's work in this but I would argue this is largely unrealistic (at least where I'm from)

Granted, kids can pay rugby, football, boxing, MMA or gymnastics etc but it would be night on impossible to do more than one of these at the same time an realistically be picked to play as coaches would want commitment.
My work within coaching I am constantly being told that, within coaching its a more realistic aim to produce someone who will be a key member within your club than an elite athlete, the majority of coaches within South Wales will never deal with the development of an elite athlete.

Within RCT and with RCT sports and other organisations there are more opportunities for sports than there has been for any other period in my life. My attitude is with my kids is for them to experience whatever sport they like, even if that is then a sport i dislike or have no interest in.

As a season ticket holder at Cardiff i would love to see my son playing for Cardiff City, however my attitude to not exposing him to either the development centers or Academies are more than likely hindering his chances, with a preference to finding a sport he enjoys and being an important member in whatever sporting club he ends up at.