+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has the city centre lost its charm?

Re: Has the city centre lost its charm?

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    You know what we’re missing in Cardiff?
    An aquarium/zoo close - and I don’t mean folly farm
    Walnut Tree Farm and the Lake

i,m happy to go on record and say Cardiff is the best city in the UK no contest

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I need to shop around. Whenever I seem to go into town these days I'm paying 4 quid + for watered down lager.
    How exactly would you water down lager? It comes in a sealed aluminium barrel, and is served through a CO2 pressurized tap. You'd have to pour a couple of inches of water into every pint you served. Unless someone knows better.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone does.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    How exactly would you water down lager? It comes in a sealed aluminium barrel, and is served through a CO2 pressurized tap. You'd have to pour a couple of inches of water into every pint you served. Unless someone knows better.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone does.
    Put about an inch of water in a glass, place glass under the counter till a mug comes in

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    i,m happy to go on record and say Cardiff is the best city in the UK no contest
    This. Brighton is a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    This. Brighton is a close second.
    You are taking the piss, I hope !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Put about an inch of water in a glass, place glass under the counter till a mug comes in
    Cheating pint swiggers, other than cider wallahs, has become ubiquitous for yonks because it's ultra rare these days to happen upon a grog shop which has oversize lined glasses and a typical pint is 95%-97% liquid and 3%-5% froth. Most punters are too docile or shy to say "fill it up" and the real cull dunts are sometimes heard to remark "good head on that" when the bigger it is means the more they've been conned.

We have been to both Cardiff and Bristol City center recently ( in the last 3 months anyway ), both are seriously blighted by the homeless walking around, then as soon as darkness arrives you get a real sense of unease, some of the homeless are quite confrontational

How the hell did society get so bad that we have a fair number of people sleeping in doorways and tents on our high street should never be happening

CardiffCitySince1927

Walnut Tree Farm and the Lake
    A Lake isn’t an aquarium.
    Farm isn’t a zoo.

Farm isn’t a zoo.
    nothing gets past you does it

Farm isn’t a zoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    nothing gets past you does it
    Not entering into the spirit of it, is he/she/whatever

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    We have been to both Cardiff and Bristol City center recently ( in the last 3 months anyway ), both are seriously blighted by the homeless walking around, then as soon as darkness arrives you get a real sense of unease, some of the homeless are quite confrontational

How the hell did society get so bad that we have a fair number of people sleeping in doorways and tents on our high street should never be happening
    One reason homelessness has shot up is the UK's population today is 9 million more than it was in 2001 (58 million to 67 million) and property prices and rents have rocketed. It seems virtually all those who kip in doorways are addicts or alcoholics and many also have mental health difficulties. Vagrancy and begging remain unlawful in England and Wales but the boys in blue have a habit of looking the other way, probably because they're instructed to rather than for a lack of resources.

In the last 2 weeks homeless people have attempted to set up camp in Heath park, for the first time ever apparently. There plight highlighted by one woman around 30 completely losing it on the pitch and put last week, screaming, shouting, running about in a demonic way scaring plenty of kids who were playing. Her two mates were watching, managed to crash into each other on there bikes on the rd into the car park, it was a depressing site as they could barely get up off the rd. the plod eventually came to move them along, crazy lady still walks around shouting, god knows what she is doing on the streets....

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Totally agree. Cardiff is very lucky with its general amenities as you mention, but the Council and to a degree the Assembly are doing their best to ruin the City.

You mentioned Bristol and we are really bad in comparison.

We just have to look at the proposals for the old Gaiety cinema on City Road. A stunning building that is going to be bulldozed, only to be replaced by a soulless, homogenized block of student flats.

In comparison, I went to the Everyman cinema on Whiteladies Road in Bristol and it's one of the best I've visited. It was converted from the old run down Whiteladies cinema.

It's such a stark contrast and Cardiff's lack of foresight means that so much of our past will be lost forever, instead of sensitive and appropriate conversions to create a nicer future.

Cardiff is full of corporates and global companies, like Starbucks and Costa.

I refuse to use them, as wherever possible I use independents.

I would rather help keep them in business and get the personal service from them, than some faceless company that doesn't pay a fair amount of taxes.

It's not a level playing field and Government need to address the tax side of things and Councils need to take responsibility to return to the previous levels of independents, as opposed to having the likes of Tesco extras and starbucks everywhere.
    Yes Bristol as renovated and rejuvenated it's old building very well , another fascinating example is the Lanes where they have kept intact the old bowling lanes .

Well I'm not a native, Newport originally, but I've lived in Cardiff for 20 years. I've also had the 'pleasure' of working all over Britain and I would not live anywhere else. It's not perfect, God knows, but it is a great place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    You ruined the whole post with two words😢😢😢🤪🤪
    Obviously not from Cardiff - he must be a student.

You are taking the piss, I hope !!!!!
    Brighton is a fantastic city.

In London I have noticed a very sharp increase in begging on the underground. It used to be pretty rare, but I see beggars in the carriages on almost every journey now.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Brighton is a fantastic city.
    I must have missed it then, as I couldn’t see through all the rubbish in the streets

SHITHOLE, as are it’s filthy hotels, it’s second behind Blackpool for filthy hotels

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Pity the Wynford wasn't bang in the city centre.
    The old Parachute club 👍

International

You can get a tool that fits in the top of the barrel just like the line coupler. It has a lever on it that when pressed depressurises the barrel as quickly or slowly as you press. You can then unscrew the valve add 8 pints of water and a few it back up again. Reconnect the gas line and it depressurises the barrel. The pub landlords and WMC stewards in the N East do it all the time.
    This is fact. The straightest landlord in Washington T&Wear showed me how to do it and offered to get me one of the things when I took over a pub for a short while . The landlord of my local sold about 80 barrels of beer later and cider a week. Imagine the income form 80 gallons of "beer" that didn't exist going into his sky every week? It was about 98 pence a pint for exhibition then. More like 3 50 now.
    The reason it was only 8 pints per barrel was because it didn't water the product down enough to be discernable by brewery checks if they spot checked your cellar.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    can’t beat a good Basil reference
    I’m waiting for someone to say ‘He’s highly strung’ 😂

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The old Parachute club 👍
    Not quite in the centre centre, but plenty of banging

I was fearing it had lost its charm but thought it was superb. That castle, the arcades, the Hayes cafe. I guess some of the chain stores and cheap shops could make it seem a little drab but it's a thousand times more charming than in the 1980s when I was playing pool in Bogeys, snooker in Kings and eating burgers off plates in Wimpy.

Then again, I live in cultural abyss of Brisbane.