+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for Director of Football

CardiffCitySince1927

Suggestion for Director of Football

Dave Jones?
    Look at the players he brought in for the fees aswell. Whitts, McNaughton, Marshall, Chopra, Bothroyd, McCormack etc.

What u think?

Re: Suggestion for Director of Football

I would rather look at the qualities and experience that the most successful DOFs have (however that is defined) and create a DOF profile from that for our club.

Then recruit against that profile.

There are some attractions to looking a people with a club connection - especially if they understand the culture and the area - but that would be a bonus, not the central requirement.

CardiffCitySince1927

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I would rather look at the qualities and experience that the most successful DOFs have (however that is defined) and create a DOF profile from that for our club.

Then recruit against that profile.

There are some attractions to looking a people with a club connection - especially if they understand the culture and the area - but that would be a bonus, not the central requirement.
    I’d say he fits with that as he was with the club for a while being our manager

Can’t see us going in this direction for at least another season. Warnock is not going to be up for that type of change in his last season. I’m not sure that the club will be up for it even after that as Tan seems like the type that prefers working with business minded middle men .

Jones is not a bad shout though. However, a lot of the people in this role at PL level are not necessarily former footballers and I’d echo the point previously made about profiling other DOFs.

Dirty Dai Jones, we don't want that surly Scouser back, and I am unanimous in that!

Besides, he'd be hopeless as he'd spend most of his time watching netball games looking for someone to nob.

It took far too long to get rid of Jones.

442 dinosaur.

He might be able to show Warnock how to spend transfer money on a decent player, because Warnock hasn't got a good track record of that with us.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    Dave Jones?
    Look at the players he brought in for the fees aswell. Whitts, McNaughton, Marshall, Chopra, Bothroyd, McCormack etc.

What u think?
    DJ - no. But we ought to be looking to bring in somebody as back up should results not go right / or to plan for next season if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Dirty Dai Jones, we don't want that surly Scouser back, and I am unanimous in that!

Besides, he'd be hopeless as he'd spend most of his time watching netball games looking for someone to nob.

It would be nice to have a modern thinker

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It would be nice to have a modern thinker
    For that to happen you would need to have a modern thinker as a manager. Having a modern thinker with a dinosaur manager simply wouldn't work.

Dave Jones?

What u think?
    I would say the club as a whole did reasonably well in terms of transfers for some of his tenure. Glenn Loovens is an example of someone who did well for us but was certainly nothing to do with Jones. Ridsdale signed him against Jones' wishes. I wonder if Fowler and Hasselbaink were as much Ridsdale signings as well.

In the same way, Swansea have, until more recently, done very well in the transfer market for a decade or so. I wouldn't suggest that was all down to the manager, at least as much due to the contacts numerous at the club had.

CardiffCitySince1927

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    It took far too long to get rid of Jones.

442 dinosaur.
    He wouldn’t be in charge of tactics. That's a manager

Doubt it very much if Alan Curtis could be persuaded at his age to come to Cardiff for a second time, but he's the type of person I'd like to see being considered for such a role at Cardiff - it's never going to happen while this manager is here though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I would say the club as a whole did reasonably well in terms of transfers for some of his tenure. Glenn Loovens is an example of someone who did well for us but was certainly nothing to do with Jones. Ridsdale signed him against Jones' wishes. I wonder if Fowler and Hasselbaink were as much Ridsdale signings as well.

In the same way, Swansea have, until more recently, done very well in the transfer market for a decade or so. I wouldn't suggest that was all down to the manager, at least as much due to the contacts numerous at the club had.
    Jones talked Fowler into coming here, after he met him on holiday in Mexico

CardiffCitySince1927

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Warnock convinced Camarasa and Arter to come here during 90 minutes of Bournemouth vs Betis.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You just convinced me that Jones is not the right person for the job

Warnock convinced Camarasa and Arter to come here during 90 minutes of Bournemouth vs Betis.
    Send him upstairs and get a proper manager downstairs

Ok I can see where this is going, and if it really keeps you all happ

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Send him upstairs and get a proper manager downstairs
    I don't think the skills needed for a dof align well at all with the skill set that Warnock has

SSN are reporting that Jones is interested in managing in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't think the skills needed for a dof align well at all with the skill set that Warnock has
    He got Camarasa and Arter to come here during 90 minutes of Bournemouth vs Betis though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    He got Camarasa and Arter to come here during 90 minutes of Bournemouth vs Betis though.
    That doesn't invalidate my statement

CardiffCitySince1927

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    That doesn't invalidate my statement
    That persuasion is ridiculous

There are very few teams in the premier League that have a former manager as director of football. And almost all of them have someone in that role these days.
    Clearly we are behind the curve on this. To me it would make sense to try to poach someone who has been working with one of the clubs who have been working really well in this area then at least they know what things to put in place to be successful. Clearly we would need to target someone more junior so the role was a step up, or from a smaller club.