Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
As it seems to be "Remainers" who are calling for a second referendum, can anyone tell me... do they expect to overturn the original decision and if so, where is the evidence that there will be such a swing in the vote? I have not seen any opinion polls which suggest that, but I may have missed them.
I have read or listened to a few pollsters around Brexit views in the last few years and most say that opinions have not move much, apart from hardening on both sides. No one trusts polls any more, but the last one that stuck in my head (from John Curtice at Strathclyde University) suggested that 20% of Leavers had switched and 10% of Remainers. Combine that with a hope or belief in Remain circles that more pro-EU youngsters have come on to the electoral roll since 2016, and more anti-EU pensioners have died, and there is a view in the Remain bubble that support has changed from 48%-52% to 55%-45% or something like that.

I don't trust the polls though. I also think there are a number of former Remain voters who have bought into the 'once in a lifetime decision' argument and have come around to accepting Brexit. Some might even vote for it or abstain because they have been convinced that a second referendum would be antidemocratic. I think that argument is ludicrous, but it may well have some traction.