+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boris tells Ch4 to Four OFF

Re: Boris tells Ch4 to Four OFF

The UK union is doomed, time to rip it up, Wales will be better served as an independent nation.

Re: Boris tells Ch4 to Four OFF

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The Labour Party straddles the Leave/Remain divide more than any other party in the UK parliament. The Tories are way over on the Leave side of the argument and all the others bar Labour are clearly for one side or the other - making life very simple.

It is clear that a significant minority of Labour MPs and members want to see Brexit delivered (even if they voted Remain in 2016) but when it comes to Labour voters, and especially Labour voters in Midlands or northern Labour-Tory marginals the size of the Brexit support becomes a major problem for the party.

As a Remain voter I hoped to see Labour adopt a more aggressive 2nd referendum and Remain position earlier, but I can fully understand the decision to adopt 'constructive ambiguity', let the Tories rip themselves apart, argue for a general election and concentrate on all the non-Brexit issues which have been ignored for over 3 years.

But I think the road has now run out. After the Euro and local elections it is not enough for Labour to be just less damaged than the Tories - they have to somehow drop the ambiguity and argue hard as a minimum for a new vote on Brexit, not as something in the middle distance, but something that has to happen in a defined timescale. Corbyn is edging closer to that but hasn't taken the final step (unlike MacDonald, Abbott, and media supporters like Owen Jones and Paul Mason). Labour will be hurt by that, but they will be hurt (by Brexit, LibDems, nationalists and Greens) if they don't.

The one thing that sticks in my craw though is the cynical posturing of Tom Watson and his mates. Like many others in the PLP he is more concerned with the parliamentary Labour civil war and scoring points off Corbyn, than with steering the party to a new policy position. It is the principled Remainers like Clive Lewis that I take notice of (as well as some of the minority of 'deliver Brexit' MPs like Lisa Tandy who have also argued their case responsibly and effectively).
    Cracking post ,does sadly sum it up very well .