+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who would the Labour prefer to front the Tories to enable them to win the next GE

Who would the Labour prefer to front the Tories to enable them to win the next GE

Rory Stewart seems to be taking it too Boris Johnson .

He claims he would attract Labour and Liberals floating voters.

He said to Farage, on his show ( live ), he would engage with him as voters were backing Farage's viewpoint .

He doesn't seem your normal shouty, shouty, Tory , like Boris or Raaaaab .

He seems to say he'd create an election if others tried to crash out , suggesting he has some core support in his party to deliver a vote of no confidence, in Boris or an other ??

The only thing confusing me , he seems to think its May's deal or nothing, which is probably right in the minds of Europe, but the Tory's booted out May for her deal .

Is he canny , could he beat Boris ?.

Would Labour prefer Boris ??

If he wins and takes the center ground , how do Labour react .

Answers without prejudice please .

Re: Who would the Labour prefer to front the Tories to enable them to win the next GE

What is the center ground now? Rory Stewart has presented himself as a center ground politician, certainly he seems best a communicating his future ideas with undecided voters who may otherwise vote lib dem or labour, but his historical voting record is probably more right-wing than Boris Johnson, although Boris may become more right-wing if he detects the crowd is heading in that direction. Do we judge centre ground based on historical voting record, presentation style, ideas over the future of Brexit or a combination of the above?

I think Labour would fancy Dominic Raab. He seems to have the least obvious appeal of any of those remaining in the contest. Once that is taken out of the equation in the next round then I think the Labour party probably would prefer Boris Johnson to win over Rory Stewart.

Re: Who would the Labour prefer to front the Tories to enable them to win the next GE

I don't think the new PM would need to move to the right if the economy improves, which is more likely after an EU exit, and I certainly wouldn't equate everybody who voted for Brexit with the right wing. So whoever wins the leadership contest just has to hold the centre ground, and implement Trump's successfull economic model (which they will most likely duplicate).

Raab gone , the only real leaver.

Rory is an alledged spy.

Boris has had a rinse.

Gove ,Javid hanging in .

This is Hunt v Boris now is my bet .

Boris to win , he gets on a wild stallion , and charges up the mall to the palace ,with land of hope and glory blasting out .

Labour must be fuming they can't grab a headline .

I will watch the debate tonight, didn't bother with the chan4 one, I listen to BBC news on way to work at 06.30 in the morning, return journey home around 17.30, then get a 20 min burst on the iPad whilst having tea, I would suggest that Boris isn't the preferred choice of the Beeb but I've not detected bias to wards one of the others, it seems to me that Boris has too much support to get pipped at the rails but you never know when its down to two and a secret ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Raab gone , the only real leaver.

Rory is an alledged spy.

Boris has had a rinse.

Gove ,Javid hanging in .

This is Hunt v Boris now is my bet .

Boris to win , he gets on a wild stallion , and charges up the mall to the palace ,with land of hope and glory blasting out .

Labour must be fuming they can't grab a headline .
    Tonight was as good a night Labour have had in the past, rough estimate, year. Boris Johnson denies his words have consequences despite his words being used in court to convict a UK citizen and talks about GATT24 without knowing what it is or why it doesn't apply. And yet he's still the favourite to become the UK prime minister.

At the moment I would suggest Gove is the one Labour fear most.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    What is the center ground now? Rory Stewart has presented himself as a center ground politician, certainly he seems best a communicating his future ideas with undecided voters who may otherwise vote lib dem or labour, but his historical voting record is probably more right-wing than Boris Johnson, although Boris may become more right-wing if he detects the crowd is heading in that direction. Do we judge centre ground based on historical voting record, presentation style, ideas over the future of Brexit or a combination of the above?

I think Labour would fancy Dominic Raab. He seems to have the least obvious appeal of any of those remaining in the contest. Once that is taken out of the equation in the next round then I think the Labour party probably would prefer Boris Johnson to win over Rory Stewart.
    Its presentation style now, apparently. Some of the fawning over him from supposed liberals has been baffling, Stewart's "Oh yes I am a Tory, but I'm an awfully nice one" act should collapse as soon as people look at his voting record and he gets put under proper scrutiny. Unfortunately he probably wouldn't get any as Tory leader.

I think Labour would love to go up against Johnson

Yes I think they would prefer Boris, and would not fancy Gove ,he's a sharp cooky.

And Javid, may be an awkward one for them , as they court the Muslim vote , and would be cautious of attacking him because of his heritage.

Now that it's down to two, the BBC are campaigning hard for Jeremy ****. I suppose he's their best chance now of keeping us in the EU and paving the way for the Monster Raving Labour Party and its anti Semitic purges.
    I can't see either happening, but you never can tell in this post sanity society.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Now that it's down to two, the BBC are campaigning hard for Jeremy ****. I suppose he's their best chance now of keeping us in the EU and paving the way for the Monster Raving Labour Party and its anti Semitic purges.
    I can't see either happening, but you never can tell in this post sanity society.
    Yes if you has to choose one it would be Hunt ( eeeeeeeeeek ) only because of the orrible other chap.

Why cant the Labour wake up and front up with an electable leader , better front bench , better standards , give me a party that made me vote for them with ease over the last 40 years ,arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh , so angry , with all this i could easily punch something

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes if you has to choose one it would be Hunt ( eeeeeeeeeek ) only because of the orrible other chap.

Why cant the Labour wake up and front up with an electable leader , better front bench , better standards , give me a party that made me vote for them with ease over the last 40 years ,arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh , so angry , with all this i could easily punch something
    It's pretty gutting that Corbyn said Labour needed to be broad church when campaigning to be leader (the first time) but labour seems a very narrow church at this moment. Not all Corbyn's fault as many towards the centre ground, or right-wing labour, didn't engage but we need more from Labour now and perhaps Corbyn has to give up on his project now for the greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It's pretty gutting that Corbyn said Labour needed to be broad church when campaigning to be leader (the first time) but labour seems a very narrow church at this moment. Not all Corbyn's fault as many towards the centre ground, or right-wing labour, didn't engage but we need more from Labour now and perhaps Corbyn has to give up on his project now for the greater good.
    Well if he cares for the party he should, however I do wonder if his ideological agenda is greater than that , perhaps he sees himself as the great redeemer of the party, and that the party has always been on the wrong road , and he will bring enlightenment and a new pathway for generations to come .