+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Baseball

American Baseball

Is it just me or does anyone else find this game very very boring?

Re: American Baseball

did you sign up just to ask this?

But also, to answer your question. I've never seen a baseball match but I think if I understood the rules and cared who won I'd get into it. My friend who's not into sports went to a match and said she loved it

No, but if you can't or don't want to give constructive feedback to a valid enquiry make yourself scarce!!

I’ve been trying to get to a baseball game whist on trips to the US but the cities I’ve visited teams have been on the road or it’s been out of season. I’ve been to a few NBA games and NFL over the years but I’ve been lucky to get tickets for the Red Sox v Yankees game that’s on in the West Ham ground on the 29th & 30th June.
    I can’t wait to sit down for 4hrs drinking beer, eating ‘dogs and watchin the game ... hopefully in the sun.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I watched the Texas Rangers play the Yankees at their Globe Life Park Arlington stadium in D-FW
    We didn’t understand much about what was going on but it was great fun with beers hot dogs and singing Take me out to the ball park

We sang a new chorus taken from Mad Max called ‘One man in two men out’ which went down rather well but the American cousins get very excited and waaaay over the top after 4 hours on the piss

Recommended

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Tone View Post
    I’ve been trying to get to a baseball game whist on trips to the US but the cities I’ve visited teams have been on the road or it’s been out of season. I’ve been to a few NBA games and NFL over the years but I’ve been lucky to get tickets for the Red Sox v Yankees game that’s on in the West Ham ground on the 29th & 30th June.
    I can’t wait to sit down for 4hrs drinking beer, eating ‘dogs and watchin the game ... hopefully in the sun.
    I've got tickets for the Sunday.

Went to a Red Sox game in 2001 when I visited Boston and enjoyed the Fenway experience. This will be a bit different although neither of them are teams I follow or like really. As you say the beer food experience will be enough

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    No, but if you can't or don't want to give constructive feedback to a valid enquiry make yourself scarce!!
    Yeah, feck off delmbox!

Do you know the rules? That might help.

Try watching "Ken Burns'" Baseball documentary. It's one of the best I've ever seen.

I did in the post underneath, moody

Heisenberg

I went to a Yankees game a couple of weeks ago and I really enjoyed it. The only rules I knew were the ones I'd learned from Wii Sports so I didn't have the best grasp of what was going on but the experience was great. There were a few home runs (3 in the first two innings), beers, hotdogs and a stereotypical American sports atmosphere.

I wouldn't watch it on TV as it removes most of the enjoyable aspects of the sport (imo) but I'd definitely go to another game.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I did in the post underneath, moody
    Fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Fight!
    I'm not angry, just hurt

International

Very "In your face" and abrupt for someone on their first day I'd say.
    Sounds like someone using a new I'D to me. I just wonder who it might be? ☺

Saw the Blue Jays against Chicago White Sox in the last game at The Exhibition Stadium in Toronto before they moved the the Skydome. Good day out with a few mates but the locals were quite unnerved when we cheekily started cheering for the White Sox. Away support seemed alien to them ( we didn’t let on we were from Bridgend Street, Splott, they couldn’t understand a word we said 😂😂😂)

Never gave two hoots for it until I saw it live in New York.
    Watched the Yankees in 2006 and absolutely loved it. The skill level was immense. Especially the fielding. They made top level cricketers look like amateurs.
    Watch a couple of games a week on the tv. More when I’m off work in the summer. Saw a couple of games whilst in Japan two summers ago. It’s a fairly popular sport there. The atmosphere at those was probably the best I’ve experienced at a sporting event. The crowd were superb. As were the games.
    Would love to have got tickets for one of the London games. I’ll have to do with watching the Yankees play the Red Sox in The Bronx in August.
    Can’t wait.

On another note, I'm going to watch New York FC vs Kansas at the Yankee Stadium in July which I'm looking forward to. Would have liked to experience a classic American sport but there was nothing on on the days that I'm there

Same as rounders, innit?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    On another note, I'm going to watch New York FC vs Kansas at the Yankee Stadium in July which I'm looking forward to. Would have liked to experience a classic American sport but there was nothing on on the days that I'm there
    Just remember to cheer for Kansas. NYCFC are Johnny-come-latelys. They're owned by Man City and their fans are plastics.

Shit rounders

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I've got tickets for the Sunday.

Went to a Red Sox game in 2001 when I visited Boston and enjoyed the Fenway experience. This will be a bit different although neither of them are teams I follow or like really. As you say the beer food experience will be enough
    We’ve got Saturday tickets and staying the night.
    Not sure if youre aware but in the Old Truman Brewery in Brick Lane they’ve got a 3 day MLB event and from what I can gather there are batting cages and other baseball related events going on.
    We plan to go there early Doors then onto the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Tone View Post
    We’ve got Saturday tickets and staying the night.
    Not sure if youre aware but in the Old Truman Brewery in Brick Lane they’ve got a 3 day MLB event and from what I can gather there are batting cages and other baseball related events going on.
    We plan to go there early Doors then onto the game.
    Excellent. The people who think baseball is like rounders should head to the cages and see if they can make any contact with a fastball.

50 odd of us went to Toronto/Niagara Falls on a football tour with Bridgend St In 1989. We stayed on the university campus just off Yonge St. Very often a few of us would spend a bit of time chucking a baseball around on the field outside our digs, the students who were about were surprised that we were catching the ball bare handed, no mitt. F*cking pussies 😂😂😂

It's one of those things where if you understand it, you can enjoy it. I understand enough to enjoy a game, but I used to watch games with a friend who was a real expert. He would be able to explain far more of the mental battle between pitcher and batter and it really was fascinating. A bit like boxing i suppose. We can all appreciate the bravery and fitness and spot a great punch, but I don't pretend to really understand much beyond that and if I did, I'd be hooked. Same goes for baseball.

There is a really interesting documentary on prime at the moment called fastball, which is all about how the game tests the extremes of human ability insofar as if the pitcher throws the ball as fast as a human is physically able, the batter needs to react as fast as it is humanly possible to in order to hit it. Any faster ant it would be past him before he saw it. Its brilliant, well worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    It's one of those things where if you understand it, you can enjoy it. I understand enough to enjoy a game, but I used to watch games with a friend who was a real expert. He would be able to explain far more of the mental battle between pitcher and batter and it really was fascinating. A bit like boxing i suppose. We can all appreciate the bravery and fitness and spot a great punch, but I don't pretend to really understand much beyond that and if I did, I'd be hooked. Same goes for baseball.

There is a really interesting documentary on prime at the moment called fastball, which is all about how the game tests the extremes of human ability insofar as if the pitcher throws the ball as fast as a human is physically able, the batter needs to react as fast as it is humanly possible to in order to hit it. Any faster ant it would be past him before he saw it. Its brilliant, well worth a watch.
    A 90-mph fastball reaches home plate in 0.4 seconds. By the time a batter sees the pitch has .25 seconds to identify the pitch, decide whether to swing, and start the process. Pretty impressive that there a people who can swing at that, make perfect contact and send it into the stands. It's so difficult, that people in the major leagues (MLB NL and AL) who hit safely three times in ten at-bats sign contacts worth hundreds of millions of dollars.