+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Baseball

First Team

Re: American Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    On another note, I'm going to watch New York FC vs Kansas at the Yankee Stadium in July which I'm looking forward to. Would have liked to experience a classic American sport but there was nothing on on the days that I'm there

And then on to watch the Bluebirds in NM/TX?

Years ago I went to watch the now defunct Denver Bears at Mile High Stadium. The basics were fairly easy to pick up and I really enjoyed the evening - what's not to like about drinking and eating all evening whilst watching sport, particularly when it's brought round and you don't have to queue to buy it.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else find this game very very boring?
    MLB attracts more than one type of audience. One group you might call devotees or aficionados. They are in to the game in a big way. For them the game is fascinating. However, just like "soccer" in the US, there are a lot of people who go for the day/night out. They are far less knowledgeable, often turn up late and leave early, and, are far more interested in the social occasion (including eating and drinking). I'd say, based on my conversations with members of the latter group, that a fair few find baseball "boring".

MLB is experiencing a chronic decline in attendances BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    MLB attracts more than one type of audience. One group you might call devotees or aficionados. They are in to the game in a big way. For them the game is fascinating. However, just like "soccer" in the US, there are a lot of people who go for the day/night out. They are far less knowledgeable, often turn up late and leave early, and, are far more interested in the social occasion (including eating and drinking). I'd say, based on my conversations with members of the latter group, that a fair few find baseball "boring".

MLB is experiencing a chronic decline in attendances BTW.
    There's too many teams now. And if your team is in decline, (like Baltimore) it gets old pretty fast.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    There's too many teams now. And if your team is in decline, (like Baltimore) it gets old pretty fast.
    Maybe other Summer sports too?

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    And then on to watch the Bluebirds in NM/TX?
    I'd love to but sadly have to come home

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It’s a great sport, and the deeper you get into it the better it becomes - lots of strategies unfold in a game. Sadly because there are 162 games in a season it’s pretty easy to lose interest if your team is out of contention early in any season - as are the Blue Jays this year. Even then it retains interest as teams rebuild their rosters and you see youth coming through but that’s more of an armchair interest as opposed to going to the ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Tone View Post
    We’ve got Saturday tickets and staying the night.
    Not sure if youre aware but in the Old Truman Brewery in Brick Lane they’ve got a 3 day MLB event and from what I can gather there are batting cages and other baseball related events going on.
    We plan to go there early Doors then onto the game.
    Cheers Blue Tone, I didn't know about that

Will definitely spend some time there as we are up on Sat afternoon and not heading back till Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Cheers Blue Tone, I didn't know about that

Will definitely spend some time there as we are up on Sat afternoon and not heading back till Monday
    Seems they’ve a massive park at the stadium which looks even better
    https://www.mlb.com/london-series/plan-your-day