+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FAW Trophy

FAW Trophy

Used to enjoy it more than the league cup and FA cup

Watching it on S4C and BBC2 with sometimes only 200 in the crowd.

Absolutely pointless, but still, enjoyable

Re: FAW Trophy

Blood and guts football.

Remember beating Swansea in the final in our funky green kit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Remember beating Swansea in the final in our funky green kit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJUIg4HVFrA

I went to quite a few FAW invitation games, Caridiff used to throw their youngsters and out favor players in. The first time i saw Earnshaw play was in the FAW trophy.

I once traveled down on the train to watch us play Merthyr in torrential rain, and it was called off and i got all the way to the stadium (of course it wasnt big news that it was off). Got absolutely soaked turned round and went home.

I eventually got sick of the effort made to go to these games and stopped going.

Oh that FAW Trophy (I thought you meant the one that's for lower level Welsh teams). It might be a useful thing to have now, but most of my memories aren't good. Woeful defeats to Bangor, Newport (when they were non-league) and Barry (live on telly, starring a completely apathetic Scott McCulloch) and a genuine feeling of heartbreak when Brian Carey snatched a last minute aggregate winner for Wrexham after a gallant 10 man effort put us ahead (am I remembering that right?). Craig Middleton hit a scorcher in the same game.

But there was the Jacks game, which had the debut (?) of Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves, Kav's free kick and Leon Jeanne showing some nice tricks and potential. Given what happened to him maybe the whole thing was cursed.

We had the iconic super furry animals sponsored kit with the city of cardiff badge on it. Best. Kit. Ever.

Yes there was nothing wrong with the FAW trophy, pity about the big team not being in the Welsh cup.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Used to enjoy it more than the league cup and FA cup

Watching it on S4C and BBC2 with sometimes only 200 in the crowd.

Absolutely pointless, but still, enjoyable

Are you kidding?

Apart from the odd games against Swansea, there was little to stir people's interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Are you kidding?

Apart from the odd games against Swansea, there was little to stir people's interest.
    Bit like the FA cup if you go by attendances over the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Bit like the FA cup if you go by attendances over the last 10 years.
    I'm trying to think of a single FAW Cup game that got me anywhere near as excited as when the City played Wrexham, Spurs and Everton
    in the 70's FA Cup games or Leeds when we beat them at Ninian Park. I didn't get to see us at Wembley live, but just watching us in two Cup finals was unbelievable! The FAW CUP didn't even come close.

I'm trying to think of a single FAW Cup game that got me anywhere near as excited as when the City played Wrexham, Spurs and Everton
    in the 70's FA Cup games or Leeds when we beat them at Ninian Park. I didn't get to see us at Wembley live, but just watching us in two Cup finals was unbelievable! The FAW CUP didn't even come close.
    The FA Cup is dying

I liked the FAW because it was nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The FA Cup is dying
    A big statement!

Colchester united home I'm guessing less than 2000 turned up in a 33000 stadium
    Mansfield home less than 5000
    Fulham home similar
    All in the last 5 years
    I was at all these games to see the stadium like that on an FA cup day when 11 years ago we took 30 thousand to Wembley is for whatever reason pretty disheartening.
    The Glamour of the FA cup aye.