+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The televised debate on BBC One tonight

The televised debate on BBC One tonight

What a complete shambles. The whole format was a farce and often descended into a shouting match. The MC Emily Maitlis was hopeless in controlling the debate and indeed made matters worse by interjecting with her own questions when the whole point of the debate was that only the selected viewers were supposed to ask the questions. Who ever wins this election and becomes the PM, how can they realistically expect to work cooperatively with those who will be the runners-up?

Re: The televised debate on BBC One tonight

Do agree ,awful format, channel 4 attempt was better.

Thought Maitlis was out of her depth ,she had it in for Boris from the start .

He strangely was very restrained.

Rory Stewart looked like he had piles, his body language was dreadful .

The selected questions from the selected viewers seemed very selected.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Rory Stewart looked like he had piles, his body language was dreadful .
    In thought it was a bit odd when he continually stared at the floor.

Never had any intention of watching it, but watched Newsnight which was entirely devoted to it. The impression I got there was a slight one that Javid had the best debate.

Maybe Emily Maitlis was harsh on Boris Johnson because she had one of the few opportunities to try to ask searching questions of him (seems she was ignored most of the time) without being booed by Johnson supporters like a couple of journalists were in his only previous, very brief, q and a session - the fact he could not remember the name of the person who asked the question about Islamophobia just seemed so appropriate given the nature of the question.

Rory Stewart really surprised me when he agreed that he had been lacklustre in the debate - it was just so different from the sort of answer I've become conditioned to hearing from a politician, but, if Javid did indeed debate well, I think the man who the media have latched on to because he was a bit different from the rest may have run his race by this time tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    In thought it was a bit odd when he continually stared at the floor.
    I think this was his sheer frustration that the other candidates would not/could not explain how they would achieve Brexit with a deal. The more I hear him I am beginning to think he is genuinely honest, something we have become so cynical about (about politicians) in recent times.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Never had any intention of watching it, but watched Newsnight which was entirely devoted to it. The impression I got there was a slight one that Javid had the best debate.

Maybe Emily Maitlis was harsh on Boris Johnson because she had one of the few opportunities to try to ask searching questions of him (seems she was ignored most of the time) without being booed by Johnson supporters like a couple of journalists were in his only previous, very brief, q and a session - the fact he could not remember the name of the person who asked the question about Islamophobia just seemed so appropriate given the nature of the question.

Rory Stewart really surprised me when he agreed that he had been lacklustre in the debate - it was just so different from the sort of answer I've become conditioned to hearing from a politician, but, if Javid did indeed debate well, I think the man who the media have latched on to because he was a bit different from the rest may have run his race by this time tomorrow.
    I think Javid lacks gravitas and isn't that confident/articulate.

It rather amusing to see that the candidates are in a cleft stick: if they promise a hard Brexit they won't get it through parliament. If they go for less than a hard Brexit many of their lost voters will stay away from them and it is theoretically not what the electorate voted for either.

Most of them are full of bluster that they can get an improved deal from the EU when it seems that it's not on offer - and by using the option of a hard Brexit in respect of such negotiations seems to ignore the fact that it's not the strongest weapon in the armoury when that option inflicts considerable self-damage. It's like threatening to set off a hand -grenade when still holding it.

With the Labour party being incredible nebulous and lacking good leadership regarding the issue the situation is as depressing as it is fascinating.

Gove had all the right answers, but he would sell his grandmother if the price was right.

The way they all grovelled in front of the questioners was also quite sickening. These same people have starved the NHS of funds, food banks are everywhere, and large numbers of people are killing themselves due to welfare cuts. Sadly, I would expect the same level of grovelling if these issues came up for debate.

It was like Four Yorkshire men and Rory Stewart for much of the debate with their tales of woe regarding destroyed businesses and abused Muslim grand parents.