+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/t Anyone been to Salou ?

O/t Anyone been to Salou ?

Missus just booked a holiday for us there for the last week of July. I don't know much about the place so thought i'd ask you knowledgeable people
    Any info

Re: O/t Anyone been to Salou ?

It's a small municipal state within spain, alcohol is banned and swiming trunks must be in plain colours. 😉

Beautiful place with lovely prom. and beach. Near to Port Aventura theme park. Locals class themselves as Catalan not Spanish. The late Dickie Jones(lifelong city fan) and his family were regulars there.

I lived nearby in Cambrils for a short time about 20 years ago. Cambrils and Salou are joined so you can walk between the two. Salou is more touristy than Cambrils but is not a huge resort like Benidorm for example although is bigger now than it was. There are plenty of restaurants and nightlife is OK but it all depends what you are looking for. Around 30 years ago this area had a bad reputation for pollution with outbreaks of dysintery due to the sewage discharges into the sea but the beaches and sea have now been improved and is now clean. The area became more touristy when the Port Aventura theme park arrived; it has thrill seeking rides etc if you like that sort of thing. Tarragona is nearby and Barcelona is about an hour away by train for a day trip and you get a lot of Spanish day trippers there on weekends but the majority of people there will be British. CAUTION if you use the train make sure you get the right ticket as there are different rates for peak and off peak travel assuming this is still the case. The nearest airport is Reus.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I lived nearby in Cambrils for a short time about 20 years ago. Cambrils and Salou are joined so you can walk between the two. Salou is more touristy than Cambrils but is not a huge resort like Benidorm for example although is bigger now than it was. There are plenty of restaurants and nightlife is OK but it all depends what you are looking for. Around 30 years ago this area had a bad reputation for pollution with outbreaks of dysintery due to the sewage discharges into the sea but the beaches and sea have now been improved and is now clean. The area became more touristy when the Port Aventura theme park arrived; it has thrill seeking rides etc if you like that sort of thing. Tarragona is nearby and Barcelona is about an hour away by train for a day trip and you get a lot of Spanish day trippers there on weekends but the majority of people there will be British. CAUTION if you use the train make sure you get the right ticket as there are different rates for peak and off peak travel assuming this is still the case. The nearest airport is Reus.

Is there anywhere that hire jetskis or quad bikes?

[QUOTE=stan butler;4981790]
    Is there anywhere that hire jetskis or quad bikes?[/QUOTE

I don't know what the situation is now but it was a big kitesurfing and windsurfacing area on the small point between Salou and Cambrils. I don't recall seeing jet skis but the place is now bigger than it was so I would imagine there would be jet ski rental places but can't confirm it.

PS. Out of interest I just googled it. There are 4 jet ski rental companies in Salou.

Went there in 2006.
    Disappointed. It was like Blackpool, but in a heatwave..
    Plenty of John bleedin' Smiths shite beer, Sunday roasts, burgers - couldn't find a paella anywhere.
    And no need to catch up on the soaps when you get back, Corrie, Eastenders, etc, all shown in the bars.

I went there twice,
    First time like was said cambrills was a lovely fishing village,
    I thought it was a long walk from salou to cambrills so caught the bus.
    Theres a lovely small beach with a huge palm tree.
    They sorted the water and sewage out ages ago,
    Tarragona is the nearest town,
    watch the walls if you have young kids theres no warnings of huge drops like has been in the press.
    my kid wanted a pee in tarragona i said jump over the wall and have one.
    luckily he didnt three was a 300 foot drop,
    walked to the railway station in salou a hell of a walk from the hotel.
    the station master was taking a age looking for something.he pulled out a closed sign.

Brits abroad in the sun tourist trap place with nice beach.

If you would like a Brit holiday with sun you probably cant go wrong. Short flight as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Went there in 2006.
    Disappointed. It was like Blackpool, but in a heatwave..
    Plenty of John bleedin' Smiths shite beer, Sunday roasts, burgers - couldn't find a paella anywhere.
    And no need to catch up on the soaps when you get back, Corrie, Eastenders, etc, all shown in the bars.
    A paella is a Spanish Sunday roast.

95% of them abroad are absolute crap

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Brits abroad in the sun tourist trap place with nice beach.

If you would like a Brit holiday with sun you probably cant go wrong. Short flight as well.
    Probably better than Porthcawl i suppose ��