+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Will you pay for quality football journalism?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Will you pay for quality football journalism?

I don’t know if you’ve heard of The Athletic? https://theathletic.com/ It’s an American website with quality journalism on American sports. It’s a subscription service and I believe it’s around £60 a year.

That organisation is currently building a team of football writers by poaching the best journalists from national and local newspaper. There is some serious money flying around.

Every Prem club will have its own reporter, don’t know if that extends to City.

Question I’m asking is, would you pay £60 a year to read more about football?

I just can’t see it. I don’t think it’s in our culture.

Re: Will you pay for quality football journalism?

We're more likely to read stuff for nothing on the internet than buy a paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We're more likely to read stuff for nothing on the internet than buy a paper.
    It’s a website, not a paper. Lots of journalists jumping ship: https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/news...er-leaves-echo

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    It’s a website, not a paper. Lots of journalists jumping ship: https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/news...er-leaves-echo
    Why pay when we got “WALES-BALES” to fill us in with all the shite

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Why pay when we got “WALES-BALES” to fill us in with all the shite
    I find wales bales is a very well read chap , you may not agree with the lad ,but his ability to are not in question

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I find wales bales is a very well read chap , you may not agree with the lad ,but his ability to are not in question
    I came to praise Caesar, not kill him

All lighten up, please

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    His ability to what I wonder?

I'd prefer to pay a pound every Saturday for a Football Echo.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I'd prefer to pay a pound every Saturday for a Football Echo.
    LMAO

Nope.

I don’t see what I’d get out of sports journalism

No chance and I can't imagine many others would

Simple answer. No. I can find everything I need on the internet

International

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Simple answer. No. I can find everything I need on the internet
    But there are somethings you never realised you needed until you have them.

Life on Mars is Wales Bales

No.

I’d heard of it only because I sat opposite one of the Canadian hockey journalists in an airport lounge recently who was wearing a ‘The Athletic’ branded t-shirt. I looked it up did a weeks free trial and really enjoyed it - covers all sports (hard to find anything on The Championship though). Does have a bias to North American sports but the journalism is excellent I have to say - maybe the UK site is structured differently?

There was an introductory offer which amounted to the equivalent of £1.75 a month for the first 12 months (cancel anytime). I’ve signed up - feels like very good value so far. Hey, some people pay a monthly subscription to join football message boards 😂

They just added the UK element. Have to say that the quality of the articles is very good. They’ve just opened up the EFL as well as the EPL and my guess is they’ll expand the coverage further so that they have club by club coverage.

TOBW - if that’s a possibility you should make contact and see if your mauve and yellow stuff could be part of it

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    They just added the UK element. Have to say that the quality of the articles is very good. They’ve just opened up the EFL as well as the EPL and my guess is they’ll expand the coverage further so that they have club by club coverage.

TOBW - if that’s a possibility you should make contact and see if your mauve and yellow stuff could be part of it
    Just had a look at the site, I might take up the free trial offer because it looks pretty good.

Given the way they go on about the top names in writing being involved, I can't see them being interested in Mauve and Yellow Army, but it would be interesting to see who gets picked if they ever have a writer on City.

International

There was a programme on Radio 4 about this a couple of days ago.
    They are setting up a new thing for UK as Straight-o-canton says covering all the clubs. I don't know if they have 1 per club but the journos are all the top Newspaper writers from UK papers who have been cherry-picked to do the stories.
    The girl promoting it said that they might write about something a day later than the dailies but it will be far more in depth and that the journalists will go behind the scene to report everything about a club its players and its management, not just the last game, so a supported can know as much as possible about his team.
    She sounded quite confident it would take off.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    There was a programme on Radio 4 about this a couple of days ago.
    They are setting up a new thing for UK as Straight-o-canton says covering all the clubs. I don't know if they have 1 per club but the journos are all the top Newspaper writers from UK papers who have been cherry-picked to do the stories.
    The girl promoting it said that they might write about something a day later than the dailies but it will be far more in depth and that the journalists will go behind the scene to report everything about a club its players and its management, not just the last game, so a supported can know as much as possible about his team.
    She sounded quite confident it would take off.
    My questions would be, how exactly are they going to go “behind the scenes”? Just like The Echo doesn’t have the access it once did, neither will these guys. Clubs are in control.

And do supporters really want to read 3,000 words about something they found out about the day before? I do not.

I have spoken to one of the journalists who has transferred from a paper to this group (not Cardiff). He has been offered what I would consider very good money indeed to sit at home and write between 3 and 4 articles a week. Good for him, but I have no interest, or indeed time, to consume any more Cardiff City than I already do, and I’d consider myself a pretty serious fan.

I've seen a few writers who have signed up (Rafa Honigstein, Amy Lawrence, Michael Cox) and they are all good.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I've seen a few writers who have signed up (Rafa Honigstein, Amy Lawrence, Michael Cox) and they are all good.
    It’s a really good read - really enjoy it on a Saturday and Sunday morning.