+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Emiliano Sala - "First instance harassment warning" issued to Willie McKay.

Emiliano Sala - "First instance harassment warning" issued to Willie McKay.

Re: Emiliano Sala - "First instance harassment warning" issued to Willie McKay.

Nice bloke

He’s lovely, he should come down and meet all the people he’d like to burn.....

Sounds like a real charmer.

And his sons (or is it son) play(s) for the club. Unbelievable.

Police have issued a harassment warning to Willie McKay following a complaint that he threatened to “burn” Cardiff City and to “kill everybody” there, The Daily Telegraph can reveal.

The man who booked Emiliano Sala’s flight was interviewed under caution by the Metropolitan Police after being accused of making threats to Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman, chief executive Ken Choo, player liaison officer Callum Davies and one other man.

As revealed by The Telegraph, the Met launched an investigation after McKay, who turned 60 this month, found out where one of his alleged victims lived and confronted him at a nearby café before committing what the force described as a “possible public order offence”.

The Met said the incident was not being treated as “threats to kill” amid claims the Scot subjected the same man later that day to threatening phone calls in which he said, “I’ll shoot the lot of you”, and, “You don’t know who you’re dealing with”.

Confirming its investigation into the Feb 22 altercation had “now concluded”, the Met said: “A man, aged in his fifties, was interviewed under caution on Tuesday, May 28. He was not arrested. The man was issued with a first instance harassment warning.”

The force issued a statement less than a week after the pilot McKay asked to organise Sala’s fatal Jan 21 flight was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act.

Dave Henderson, 64, was held by Dorset Police amid an investigation into the striker’s death, including into accusations the man drafted in to fly the plane, Dave Ibbotson, was not properly licenced.

McKay has repeatedly stated he had no input into the selection of Ibbotson – who is missing presumed dead – while Henderson has yet to comment on his own arrest or role in the tragedy.

South Wales Police and the Met launched separate investigations into McKay following a complaint by Cardiff about the man who also helped broker Sala’s tragic transfer from Nantes.

That complaint included an accusation that he warned, “I’ll burn Cardiff”, during an angry phone call with Dalman three weeks after Sala died over the English Channel.

It also featured a claim McKay told Choo and Davies, “I’ll kill everybody if my sons get slaughtered”, while the trio were attending Sala’s funeral in Argentina the following month.

McKay’s eldest son, Mark, was one of the agents involved in Sala’s record £15 million transfer from Nantes to Cardiff, while another of his sons, Jack, helped arrange the player’s trip.

Bluebirds manager Neil Warnock was questioned by South Wales Police after witnessing the altercation at Buenos Aires Airport, having previously told The Telegraph he had not heard much of what was said.

This newspaper also revealed in April that McKay may have broken the law by helping broker Sala’s transfer to Cardiff, with the Insolvency Service confirming it was examining allegations he breached a Bankruptcy Restriction Undertaking forbidding him from managing or promoting a company without permission from Doncaster County Court.

Such a breach is punishable by up to two years in prison.

Cardiff have declined to comment on McKay’s harassment warning, having previously said it had been “necessary and appropriate” to engage the police on the matter.

McKay, who has repeatedly ignored questions from this newspaper in relation to Sala’s death, did not respond to requests for comment.

The Scot did admit to an altercation with Choo in an interview with L’Equipe in March, in which he compared it to “a football match when two managers have an argument on the touchline”.

But he denied threatening to kill everybody at the club and questioned why Cardiff had waited a fortnight to involve the police if they believed he had done so.

McKay last night denied making the threat to Cardiff and receiving the harassment warning from the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Police have issued a harassment warning to Willie McKay following a complaint that he threatened to “burn” Cardiff City and to “kill everybody” there, The Daily Telegraph can reveal.

The man who booked Emiliano Sala’s flight was interviewed under caution by the Metropolitan Police after being accused of making threats to Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman, chief executive Ken Choo, player liaison officer Callum Davies and one other man.

As revealed by The Telegraph, the Met launched an investigation after McKay, who turned 60 this month, found out where one of his alleged victims lived and confronted him at a nearby café before committing what the force described as a “possible public order offence”.

The Met said the incident was not being treated as “threats to kill” amid claims the Scot subjected the same man later that day to threatening phone calls in which he said, “I’ll shoot the lot of you”, and, “You don’t know who you’re dealing with”.

Confirming its investigation into the Feb 22 altercation had “now concluded”, the Met said: “A man, aged in his fifties, was interviewed under caution on Tuesday, May 28. He was not arrested. The man was issued with a first instance harassment warning.”

The force issued a statement less than a week after the pilot McKay asked to organise Sala’s fatal Jan 21 flight was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act.

Dave Henderson, 64, was held by Dorset Police amid an investigation into the striker’s death, including into accusations the man drafted in to fly the plane, Dave Ibbotson, was not properly licenced.

McKay has repeatedly stated he had no input into the selection of Ibbotson – who is missing presumed dead – while Henderson has yet to comment on his own arrest or role in the tragedy.

South Wales Police and the Met launched separate investigations into McKay following a complaint by Cardiff about the man who also helped broker Sala’s tragic transfer from Nantes.

That complaint included an accusation that he warned, “I’ll burn Cardiff”, during an angry phone call with Dalman three weeks after Sala died over the English Channel.

It also featured a claim McKay told Choo and Davies, “I’ll kill everybody if my sons get slaughtered”, while the trio were attending Sala’s funeral in Argentina the following month.

McKay’s eldest son, Mark, was one of the agents involved in Sala’s record £15 million transfer from Nantes to Cardiff, while another of his sons, Jack, helped arrange the player’s trip.

Bluebirds manager Neil Warnock was questioned by South Wales Police after witnessing the altercation at Buenos Aires Airport, having previously told The Telegraph he had not heard much of what was said.

This newspaper also revealed in April that McKay may have broken the law by helping broker Sala’s transfer to Cardiff, with the Insolvency Service confirming it was examining allegations he breached a Bankruptcy Restriction Undertaking forbidding him from managing or promoting a company without permission from Doncaster County Court.

Such a breach is punishable by up to two years in prison.

Cardiff have declined to comment on McKay’s harassment warning, having previously said it had been “necessary and appropriate” to engage the police on the matter.

McKay, who has repeatedly ignored questions from this newspaper in relation to Sala’s death, did not respond to requests for comment.

The Scot did admit to an altercation with Choo in an interview with L’Equipe in March, in which he compared it to “a football match when two managers have an argument on the touchline”.

But he denied threatening to kill everybody at the club and questioned why Cardiff had waited a fortnight to involve the police if they believed he had done so.

McKay last night denied making the threat to Cardiff and receiving the harassment warning from the police.
    The last sentence sums up the arrogance of the man.

If proven then a caution is a joke for something as serious as a threat to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    The last sentence sums up the arrogance of the man.

If proven then a caution is a joke for something as serious as a threat to kill.
    Interesting that our manager seems to have a touch of “selective deafness” when it comes to recalling what Mr McKay said when he was stood next to people who heard it clearly

His sons should be be gone from the club immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Unless they are contractually bound ?

We dont want to pay them off early do we?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

They can't be making much. They're nowhere near the first team.

If I was Mr McKay, I’d think hard before making threats to someone like our Vincent.

I bet Vinny knows some lovely people

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    If I was Mr McKay, I’d think hard before making threats to someone like our Vincent.

And Vinny would be a million miles away from any action. Daft people make threats and put themselves in the frame for any subsequent event, I reckon the real deal people have the deed done with the minimum of fuss & fanfare.

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

That's exactly what I said at the time. He clearly didn't think it through. And I imagine Vinbue has a long memory too. It probably hasn't gone away it's just waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

They are still under contract. Ludicrous as it may sound. I’d expect the club are trying hard to shift them, but who would want them. Probably both on reasonable money and both not even good enough for league 2.

Clearly brought here as a favour to ‘dad’

Very smelly

McKay’s sons returned to Cardiff from loan periods at League 2 Morecambe and National League Chesterfield.

So what path to the first team did Neil Warnock think they’d take? What was the Chief Scout’s view of them? Where were the Transfer Committee in all of this?

Neil Warnock’s done so much in his revival of our club that he’s getting an easy ride from the fans over the McKay affair. God help him if the tide turns, City fans can be venomous as we know. Should things come out linking him more & more with McKay it could turn out to be very uncomfortable for him, not just with us but the FA as well. Could be an interesting few months off the pitch down The City.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Neil Warnock’s done so much in his revival of our club that he’s getting an easy ride from the fans over the McKay affair. God help him if the tide turns, City fans can be venomous as we know. Should things come out linking him more & more with McKay it could turn out to be very uncomfortable for him, not just with us but the FA as well. Could be an interesting few months off the pitch down The City.

These things can quickly build up to be major problems which would require very careful and diplomatic handling by the club. Having a manager dealing with an individual known to not be allowed/ registered to deal with football contracts plus also having transfer dealings with a football agency in which a close family member has a financial interest ( of interest to the football authorities as a possible breach of their rules) could lead to a very difficult outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It wouldn't be fair to take that action just because the father is acting this way. However, there are questions about whether they have the talent to be at a club this level so cannot see their contracts being renewed.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It wouldn't be fair to take that action just because the father is acting this way. However, there are questions about whether they have the talent to be at a club this level so cannot see their contracts being renewed.
    Exactly right. If the McKay twins are not good enough (or were never good enough) for a contract with the club, then deal with them on that basis. I don't like the guilt by association that comes into so many posts about the McKay family. The twins are not responsible for the actions of their father or older brother - even if one of them acted as a post box for the flight offer to Sala from Mark McKay.

I am also a uncomfortable about some of the allegations building up against Warnock. It seems clear that he has had dealings with McKay for a long time and some of the club's signings seem to have benefited either Warnock's son (as an agent) or look like a sweetener to Willie McKay. But a lot of opinions in recent days are based on assumptions and inuendo. I doubt Neil Warnock is squeaky clean - but who is. I want to see evidence of wrongdoing rather than suspicion before coming to a judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post
    These things can quickly build up to be major problems which would require very careful and diplomatic handling by the club. Having a manager dealing with an individual known to not be allowed/ registered to deal with football contracts plus also having transfer dealings with a football agency in which a close family member has a financial interest ( of interest to the football authorities as a possible breach of their rules) could lead to a very difficult outcome.
    Last season there was interest from the national media in some of Neil Warnock’s transfer dealings. Questions were asked about the signings of the McKay twins, about Warnock’s son James being the agent for two players at the club and about Unique Sports Management (the agency James Warnock works for) benefiting from the business of a number of transfers, loans and contracts at the club.

Neil Warnock would say the club’s transfer committee signed everything off which is absolutely correct. This does however potentially leave the club rather exposed as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    Last season there was interest from the national media in some of Neil Warnock’s transfer dealings. Questions were asked about the signings of the McKay twins, about Warnock’s son James being the agent for two players at the club and about Unique Sports Management (the agency James Warnock works for) benefiting from the business of a number of transfers, loans and contracts at the club.

Neil Warnock would say the club’s transfer committee signed everything off which is absolutely correct. This does however potentially leave the club rather exposed as you suggest.

There have been questions raised by the football authorities for some years and clarification sought. An example would be the transfer of Joey Barton from Newcastle to QPR on highly lucrative terms for the player and his agent ( a certain Willie McKay). The QPR manager with a close link to that agent back Then? Keith

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I tend to agree with you about the guilt by association element with this, but I must say that I have not seen anything so far from either of them since they signed for us to suggest they would ever have a first team future with City and so can only agree that it does look bad from the club's point of view. Trying to be fair, I should also say that the McKay twins aren't the only players signed on pro deals to play for the Under 23s by City in the past couple of seasons who don't look good enough to ever come into first team consideration.