+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cardiff City 1970/71 - how many do you recognise?

Re: Cardiff City 1970/71 - how many do you recognise?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The kit is the most striking thing, magnificent, no frills & white shorts & socks, just how it should be. Against All Blue Kit😡😡
    Absolutely. I would love to see us return to white shorts and socks. Your point about “no frills” is very well made. Unfortunately sponsors names, additional badges on sleeves and shorts means that the days of such minimalism are gone.

Another bit of nostalgia in the photo is that you can just see the old Radio Ninian building in the background. Was it someone called Glyn Potter who used to make the announcements from there and play the same old tired records ?

I think that the hospital broadcasting used to relay their commentaries from there as well.

We also won the South Wales FA Senior Cup every year from 1968 to 1975 so that's likely to be one of the cups.

My mate was the youth team goalkeeper (John Williams - he played in the FA Youth Cup Final team) and I used to watch some of their games when they played at 'home' (was it Coronation Park) before the first team game at Ninian Park and they used to rattle up cricket scores so they probably won whatever league they were playing in too.

For me it's the 69/70 photo as said above Fred Davies is there and he left for Bournemouth at the end of the season, Les Lea and Frank Sharp left for Barnsley in the summer too.

Terry Lewis played one game in 1969/70 v QPR at home I think? So it seems logical that he is in the photo and I think he#s the player in the middle row. I'm not 100% sure but I think the player in the back row is John Parsons.

Got to be the end of the 1969/70 season showing off all the trophies the club won, even if that team actually won just a couple of them.

While only being 6 year old at the time summer of 1970 seems right, but where is Nigel Rees?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    While only being 6 year old at the time summer of 1970 seems right, but where is Nigel Rees?
    Might still have been in the youth team at the end of 1969/70.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    Might still have been in the youth team at the end of 1969/70.
    The same applies to Derek Showers who also made his debut in 70/71. Another player who moved from the club in the summer of 1970 is Sandy Allen - I would have expected him to be in the picture if it had been taken before or during the 69/70 season

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The same applies to Derek Showers who also made his debut in 70/71. Another player who moved from the club in the summer of 1970 is Sandy Allen - I would have expected him to be in the picture if it had been taken before or during the 69/70 season
    Yes Paul, Nigel Rees and Derek Showers were part of the youth team then, which got to the 1971 FA Youth Cup Final V Arsenal. Sandy Allan signed for Bristol Rovers in March 1970 (£12,500), so it does look like an end of season photo with all the trophies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Can someone talk me through how to download a photo on here, with an iPhone please, as I’ve forgotten

Mrs Steve R used to always help me

I got another 1971 rare photo to share

PS:—— in simple ingurlish please , as you’re dealing with a Luddite
    You can still ask me for help Tony, I'm not dead (I'm always around)

I don't work many weekends now so will see you at some games next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    You can still ask me for help Tony, I'm not dead (I'm always around)

I don't work many weekends now so will see you at some games next season.
    seat reserved and waiting by me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    seat reserved and waiting by me
    Awww thanks.

That for me is the classic Cardiff kit. Less is more. It'll be white shorts this season.