+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff City 1970/71 - how many do you recognise?

Cardiff City 1970/71 - how many do you recognise?

I can put names to all but two of the faces in this photo (second from right in the back row and third from left in the middle row) - how many can you recognise?
    CCFC 70-71.jpg

Re: Cardiff City 1970/71 - how many do you recognise?

I have thought of names for the two I couldn't get now, but I'm far from certain with either of them.

The kit is the most striking thing, magnificent, no frills & white shorts & socks, just how it should be. Against All Blue Kit😡😡

I think that photo is of the 69/70 squad rather than 70/71 (Frank Sharp and Fred Davies are there but not Frank Parsons or Ian Gibson). The two you mentioned I reckon are Freddie Pethard and Peter Morgan.

I thought Pethard came later.74/75?

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    I think that photo is of the 69/70 squad rather than 70/71 (Frank Sharp and Fred Davies are there but not Frank Parsons or Ian Gibson). The two you mentioned I reckon are Freddie Pethard and Peter Morgan.
    I think it was taken in the summer of 1970 before the sale of Sharp, Davies and Les Lea and the signings of Parsons and Gibson and it is being sold on EBay as a photo of the 70/71 side, but you might well be right.

Freddie Pethard was one of the names I came up with, but I thought the other might be Terry Lewis - he does look quite like Richie Morgan mind, but Peter Morgan is definitely in the team photo I use on the blog and I don't think that looks much like the bloke in this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    I thought Pethard came later.74/75?
    No, he signed for us in 1969 according to Wikipedia - must admit I thought it was two or three years later than that.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The kit is the most striking thing, magnificent, no frills & white shorts & socks, just how it should be. Against All Blue Kit����

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think it was taken in the summer of 1970 before the sale of Sharp, Davies and Les Lea and the signings of Parsons and Gibson and it is being sold on EBay as a photo of the 70/71 side, but you might well be right.

Freddie Pethard was one of the names I came up with, but I thought the other might be Terry Lewis - he does look quite like Richie Morgan mind, but Peter Morgan is definitely in the team photo I use on the blog and I don't think that looks much like the bloke in this picture.
    Freddie Pethard has curly hair. The back row guy might be him but I’m not convinced at all. I think Richie Morgan is there but 3rd from right in the middle (not left). My immediate thought was that 3rd from left was Gil Rees but I’m sure someone else would have called that out so it’s probably not him either. Great pic though

Definately looks like a young Freddie Pethard.
    When did Frank Sharp join?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The kit is the most striking thing, magnificent, no frills & white shorts & socks, just how it should be. Against All Blue Kit😡😡
    White socks were an innovation mind.

Here's my stab at identifying all of the players;-

Back row (left to right) Steve Derrett, John Parsons, Freddie Pethard, Les Lea
    Middle row (l to r) Mel Sutton, Leighton Phillips, Terry Lewis, Jim Eadie, Fred Davies, Richie Morgan, Dave Carver, Frank Sharp
    Front row (l to r) Bobby Woodruff, John Toshack, Brian Clark, Peter King, Don Murray, Brian Harris, Ronnie Bird, Gary Bell

Another reason I don't think the photo was taken at the start of the 69/70 season is that Barrie Jones would have been in it surely?

I found this photo online, which is basically the same one, apparently taken for the Real Madrid game in March 1971 but with coach and manager added and the players names at the bottom.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ph...Lt9qHUmQjN_BM:

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I found this photo online, which is basically the same one, taken for the Real Madrid game, but with coach and manager added and the players names at the bottom.
    Good work. That confirms Terry Lewis and Richie Morgan.

I found this photo online, which is basically the same one, apparently taken for the Real Madrid game in March 1971 but with coach and manager added and the players names at the bottom.
    However, I now realise that it must have been taken before November 1970, as Toshack went to Liverpool then. It must be from pre-season 1970/71.

Can someone talk me through how to download a photo on here, with an iPhone please, as I’ve forgotten

Mrs Steve R used to always help me

I got another 1971 rare photo to share

PS:—— in simple ingurlish please , as you’re dealing with a Luddite

The players are easy to identify.... but what about all the trophies.

The Welsh Cup is an easy spot, as is the Welsh League trophy.

However, I now realise that it must have been taken before November 1970, as Toshack went to Liverpool then. It must be from pre-season 1970/71.
    That's when I would say it was, but, as Binge Thinking points out, Frank Parsons and Ian Gibson, who were signed in the summer of 1970 are not in it, yet Les Lea, Frank Sharp and Fred Davies who were sold at that time are. Barrie Jones would have been in the picture if it had been taken before 69/70 because he sustained the injury which ended his career a few months into that season. My best guess is that it was taken around the time they reported back for pre season training before 70/71 at a time when the summer transfers hadn't been completed.

My favourite kit of all.
    I would love white shorts & white socks back again permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    The players are easy to identify.... but what about all the trophies.

The Welsh Cup is an easy spot, as is the Welsh League trophy.
    One of them might be for the Welsh Soccer sixes which I seem to remember were held for a couple of seasons around then, there may be one or two cups the youth team (they reached the FA Youth Cup Final in 70/71) could have won - when did they spend all summer touring Australia and New Zealand, they may have won a trophy or two over there?

I can remember all of them.Just cant put name to any of them .
    Its an age thing

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    I can remember all of them.Just cant put name to any of them .
    Its an age thing
    Heres one with the jack bastard gone one says 67 but if worboys is on it its later than that

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ph...QZlhIirPZ9ktM:

My favourite of all City's teams. Only seems like yesterday.

What's that in-between Brian Harris's legs?

CCFC 70-71.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    One of them might be for the Welsh Soccer sixes which I seem to remember were held for a couple of seasons around then, there may be one or two cups the youth team (they reached the FA Youth Cup Final in 70/71) could have won - when did they spend all summer touring Australia and New Zealand, they may have won a trophy or two over there?
    City won the Welsh League in 1969-70 but not in 68-69 or 70-71 so that indicates it was the start of the 70-71 season - I think!