+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: VAR

VAR

It was very busy today in the Women’s World Cup game England v Cameroon. It was needed for 2 of England’s 3 goals and used to disallow a Cameroon effort.
    Got me to thinking. If it had been around since football started appearing on TV, which previous incident in the past would have caused the biggest potential history change?
    As far as we’re concerned, it could have been the Joe Jordan handball at Anfield.
    On a world stage, maybe Maradonas or Henry’s WC handballs?
    Any opinions?

Re: VAR

England v Germany WC 2010

1966 World Cup final

A correct answer from Bluetit!

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    A correct answer from Bluetit!

Although it doesn’t suit some people’s agenda on here, I’ve always been of the opinion that Hursts shot was over the line. VAR would only have confirmed it.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Although it doesn’t suit some people’s agenda on here, I’ve always been of the opinion that Hursts shot was over the line. VAR would only have confirmed it.
    I totally agree with you, VAR would have confirmed the ball was over the line

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I totally agree with you, VAR would have confirmed the ball was over the line
    I disagree.
    I'm sure there was a programme on tv some years ago that took all of the camera angles of Guest's effort and along with modern techniques proved that the whole of the ball had not crossed the line.
    Anyone else see it?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I disagree.
    I'm sure there was a programme on tv some years ago that took all of the camera angles of Guest's effort and along with modern techniques proved that the whole of the ball had not crossed the line.
    Anyone else see it?
    It was on BBC Wales. It was over the line in the one shown on the English BBC 😁

Geoff Guest?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Geoff Guest?
    I didn’t want to say 😁

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    1966 World Cup final
    This.

It was on BBC Wales. It was over the line in the one shown on the English BBC ��
    Even without the benefit of post 60s/70s technology, it obviously didn't cross the line. I can remember thinking that from the first time I ever saw it, some time in the early 70s.

it all evens itself out so they say, just ask lampard

I dont often laugh out loud on here but I made an exception for this

In the Germany Nigeria game the first German goal came from a corner (checked via VAR for offside) but there was no VAR check about why Germany had a corner in the first place. The Nigerian defender cleared it out of play but would not have done so if the German player behind her, who was in an offside position, hadn't been there.

The second German goal came from a penalty (checked by VAR - I believe) which was a Nigerian swinging at and missing the ball but connecting with the German player's leg who went down. There was no intent, it did not really impede German player's route to goal but it was a foul.

For me, the first incident saw the greater intent and did more to impede the Nigerian player and yet Germany benefited from both occasions. In terms of VAR, how far do you scroll back the tape?

In terms of VAR, how far do you scroll back the tape?[/QUOTE]

Back to around about the 84th minute in the home game against Chelsea I reckon🤪