+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Zohore owes us and himself a good season.

Zohore owes us and himself a good season.

I think he’ s capable, given the right support on and off the field.
    Do you?

Re: Zohore owes us and himself a good season.

No. I'd get shot of him. He's had his chance.

Yes , start the season fit and score regularly- that's what I'm hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Do you?
    I think he will do well this season..

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Do you?
    Yes, we are at our best when he is playing well
    Would like to see a front 4 of Murphy, Zohore, Reid and NML.

Not too many teams would have as much pace and power as that.
    Have the 2 wingers hugging the touchlines to stretch the defences and get it forward quickly to them to set up 1-on-1s

Zohore was 22 when he first joined us. His first spell of decent scoring came at Odense, when he managed to net 7 goals in 9 games. Joining us on loan in Feb 2016, he scored 2 in 12 appearances.

1 goal in his first 13 games of 2016/17 suggested we'd brought in a dud, then a superb solo effort against Preston saw Zohore hit a purple patch, netting 10 times in 11 games.

He scored a belter in the last minute to beat Burton to start our promotion season before 8 games without a goal. 2 against Leeds and a wonderstrike against Fulham started a spell of 11 without a goal. 5 goals in the last 14 was hardly vintage as we closed out the season.

His Premier League efforts were woeful.

He's managed 2 decent goalscoring runs in his career. He's now 25 and at the point where if he wants to take his career forward, it's getting to the now or never stage. Potential doesn't cut it any more. Past wonder moments matter little unless he scores goals for us this season. If he blows it this season he needs to be bombed out sharpish. My feeling is that he hasn't done anything for 2 years to deserve being a regular starter.

A scorer of great goals, not a great scorer of goals

The kind of player that needs confidence and a run in the side to be at his best, but we are such a better side when he is at his best

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The kind of player that needs confidence and a run in the side to be at his best, but we are such a better side when he is at his best
    That is the conundrum. I agree he's a confidence player, probably the biggest example of it we've had in many a year. I agree that when he's on top form we benefit. However, when he's not on top form, he's a passenger we cannot afford to carry.

An additional problem is that you cannot define how long a run is necessary. 5 games? Not enough. 10 games? Needs longer. 15 games and he's still not delivering? He's getting there. 20 games and he's scored 3? Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate....

I personally don't think he deserves a lengthy stretch to prove himself. He needs to hit the ground running or we get rid. Bar a 3 month spell well over 2 years ago, we've seen so little from him. Potential versus delivering the goods. He showed absolutely nothing in the Premier League to suggest he's a top striker. Crikey, a player we signed as a right back has outclassed him as a forward over the last 2 seasons.

I think he's a fraud

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    That is the conundrum. I agree he's a confidence player, probably the biggest example of it we've had in many a year. I agree that when he's on top form we benefit. However, when he's not on top form, he's a passenger we cannot afford to carry.

An additional problem is that you cannot define how long a run is necessary. 5 games? Not enough. 10 games? Needs longer. 15 games and he's still not delivering? He's getting there. 20 games and he's scored 3? Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate....

I personally don't think he deserves a lengthy stretch to prove himself. He needs to hit the ground running or we get rid. Bar a 3 month spell well over 2 years ago, we've seen so little from him. Potential versus delivering the goods. He showed absolutely nothing in the Premier League to suggest he's a top striker. Crikey, a player we signed as a right back has outclassed him as a forward over the last 2 seasons.
    Excellent post!

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I think he will do well this season..
    Warnock can't rely on him can he, yes he should do OK if he gave 100%, you just can't rely on him to do so, we need someone else if we want top two, or even top six?

The first thing I'd say is that Zohore's goals, or lack of them, shouldn't be a deciding factor in whether he should play or not. For me, an on form Zohore means that we can play a more rounded and varied version of the pretty basic format used by Neil Warnock teams and also that there is a better chance that others in our team will be seen at their best, thereby ensuring that the goals he might not be scoring are able to come from other areas.

An example of this came early in our promotion season when Zohore was not scoring the goals expected of him, but, that apart, he was playing well. He also had a good spell in 17/18 after the arrival of Gary Madine and, as for last season, it might be significant that he came to pre season training late after being given time off following the birth of he and his partner's first child. I thought Zohore's performances, although not great, improved gradually after a very poor start in the Newcastle home game and his final one at Old Trafford had me thinking that many Championship centre halves wouldn't be able to handle him playing to that level.

I've always thought Zohore could be something special after seeing a couple of runs from him in Under 23 matches soon after he signed for us which mixed pace and power in a way that you only see very rarely in a players of his type and have often thought that the first team have not provided him with enough chances to show that side of his game because of the poor quality of the service he has had.

However, I, and other Zohore supporters in our fanbase, have to accept that he hasn't shown anywhere near enough of that dynamism, which played such a big part in turning around our 16/17 season, lately. Therefore, I think it's really important that someone is brought in of sufficient quality to ensure that there could be no doubt that Zohore is at number two, at best, in the striking pecking order. This would, hopefully, then see Zohore giving some serious thought to his approach and, if he was to react in the right way, the new man would then have a serious challenge on his hands maintaining his place in the starting line up.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The first thing I'd say is that Zohore's goals, or lack of them, shouldn't be a deciding factor in whether he should play or not. For me, an on form Zohore means that we can play a more rounded and varied version of the pretty basic format used by Neil Warnock teams and also that there is a better chance that others in our team will be seen at their best, thereby ensuring that the goals he might not be scoring are able to come from other areas.

An example of this came early in our promotion season when Zohore was not scoring the goals expected of him, but, that apart, he was playing well. He also had a good spell in 17/18 after the arrival of Gary Madine and, as for last season, it might be significant that he came to pre season training late after being given time off following the birth of he and his partner's first child. I thought Zohore's performances, although not great, improved gradually after a very poor start in the Newcastle home game and his final one at Old Trafford had me thinking that many Championship centre halves wouldn't be able to handle him playing to that level.

I've always thought Zohore could be something special after seeing a couple of runs from him in Under 23 matches soon after he signed for us which mixed pace and power in a way that you only see very rarely in a players of his type and have often thought that the first team have not provided him with enough chances to show that side of his game because of the poor quality of the service he has had.

However, I, and other Zohore supporters in our fanbase, have to accept that he hasn't shown anywhere near enough of that dynamism, which played such a big part in turning around our 16/17 season, lately. Therefore, I think it's really important that someone is brought in of sufficient quality to ensure that there could be no doubt that Zohore is at number two, at best, in the striking pecking order. This would, hopefully, then see Zohore giving some serious thought to his approach and, if he was to react in the right way, the new man would then have a serious challenge on his hands maintaining his place in the starting line up.
    You make an interesting point about Zohore needing some competition in order to perform, yet he had virtually no competition when he arguably had his best season for us (Warnock's first). Paterson did a good job for us up front last season for a few months, yet that didn't give Zohore a kick up the jacksy.

Zohore's problems are clearly between his ears. I think we all want him to succeed, some of us aren't convinced it will happen.

Zohore's contract runs out next summer. I think it's now or never for him this season.

Last season for whatever reason he wasn't ever really given a run in the side.
    We know he is a player who is much better when he has a head of steam, but when he scored a vital goal for us against Southampton, which lifted us out if the bottom three, and he was clearly very pumped up about. The next game he get about a quarter of an hour in a game that we had already lost.

He only played more than 45 minutes in consecutive games on 2 occasions in the season. The first 2 being Newcastle and Huddersfield coming when he had missed a lot of preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Last season for whatever reason he wasn't ever really given a run in the side.
    Because he was mainly rubbish when he did play. Zohore should be embarrassed that a right back did a better job of being a Premier League striker than him. It's clear that Warnock didn't buy a striker last summer because he felt Zohore would be up to the task. He wasn't and Warnock rightly even left him out of the matchday squad for a long spell. We saw a few glimmers of form from him at the end of the season but, overall, the season was a total flop for him and he can only blame himself.

Surely a good quality striker will be at the top of Warnock's summer signings ?

Tbh he's in last chance saloon with us, if he wasn't under contract I wouldn't have been surprised for him to be shown the door this summer. I definitley wouldn't be going into the season with only our current strikers on the books either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Zohore was 22 when he first joined us. His first spell of decent scoring came at Odense, when he managed to net 7 goals in 9 games. Joining us on loan in Feb 2016, he scored 2 in 12 appearances.

1 goal in his first 13 games of 2016/17 suggested we'd brought in a dud, then a superb solo effort against Preston saw Zohore hit a purple patch, netting 10 times in 11 games.

He scored a belter in the last minute to beat Burton to start our promotion season before 8 games without a goal. 2 against Leeds and a wonderstrike against Fulham started a spell of 11 without a goal. 5 goals in the last 14 was hardly vintage as we closed out the season.

His Premier League efforts were woeful.

He's managed 2 decent goalscoring runs in his career. He's now 25 and at the point where if he wants to take his career forward, it's getting to the now or never stage. Potential doesn't cut it any more. Past wonder moments matter little unless he scores goals for us this season. If he blows it this season he needs to be bombed out sharpish. My feeling is that he hasn't done anything for 2 years to deserve being a regular starter.
    Thanks for highlighting why he is surplus to requirements. I'd prefer to see us get a proper 20 goal a season striker in

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Thanks for highlighting why he is surplus to requirements. I'd prefer to see us get a proper 20 goal a season striker in
    What do you have to pay to get a quality striker at this level? £15 million?