+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Watching The England Cricket Team Abroad

Watching The England Cricket Team Abroad

Going to South Africa in February and going to the last ODI in Cape Town at the stunning Newlands Cricket Ground. There always seems to be a few Welsh flags accompanying the 'Barmy Army'. Anyone on here experienced it?

Newlands2.jpg

Re: Watching The England Cricket Team Abroad

Australia in 2006/7
    Brilliant atmosphere, not aggressive in the slightest

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Going to South Africa in February and going to the last ODI in Cape Town at the stunning Newlands Cricket Ground. There always seems to be a few Welsh flags accompanying the 'Barmy Army'. Anyone on here experienced it?

Newlands2.jpg
    Yeah mid 90s in Oz.

Only went to Sydney. Had seats on what was the hill. Never sat in them. Just stood in the bar area at the back.

Lot of drinking. Convicts hopeless drinkers.

How many time is the Wales part of England and Wales cricket team mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Never.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Never.
    As far as I can see, Wales is represented in international cricket but this representation is denied by the media, stadium announcers, advertising teams and frequently the cricketing board itself.

Wales is/was going to be one of the teams for the Cricket Unleashed adventure but already one ex-player of one of the South West England teams is saying he's not sure if South West English cricket fans would want to be represented by Wales without mention that the team is also meant to represent Gloucestershire and Somerset area. Why aren't Glamorgan fans, ex-players or board members saying the same thing about the ECB?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Meh

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post

Newlands2.jpg
    I've done a couple of ashes tests in Australia...fantastic day out! Great atmosphere, plenty of beer and no agro/issues.

Quote Originally Posted by RygeTheRam View Post
    I've done a couple of ashes tests in Australia...fantastic day out! Great atmosphere, plenty of beer and no agro/issues.
    why the f.ck should we support a team known only as ingerlund, arrogant f.ckers

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post

Are you a cricket fan?

Yes, went to Sri Lanka with my brother this Autumn that has just passed, easily one of the best holidays I've been on. Watched the entire 1st test out there for a grand total of £12

My brother and I have already said we're going back to Sri Lanka the next time there's a series, and would love to do in the West Indies / South Africa, finances allowing.

Would 100% recommend

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post

I've seen the England and Wales referenceD a lot during this world cup , and over the years many welshman have played very prominent roles in the ECB.

Been to loads of test matches involving England as I lived in South Africa, always tried to watch as many England matches as possible, even been on the Telly a few times , I've always had an absolute ball ... Banter is First class, most supporters wear their respected footy tops, Never felt out or picked up any hassles with the travelling Barmy Army.

Been to all of the below grounds, not just following England, I supported the Gauteng Lions (Old Transvaal)

Wanderers - Joburg
    Centurion - Pretoria
    Springbok park - Bloemfontein
    Kingsmead - Durban
    Senwes Park - Potchestroom
    Buffalo Park - East London
    St George's Park - Port Elizabeth

But I've NEVER been to Newlands in Cape Town

Trust me YOU'LL HAVE AN ABSOLUTE BALL

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I've seen the England and Wales referenceD a lot during this world cup , and over the years many welshman have played very prominent roles in the ECB.
    Errrrr.....