+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Royal family, not Ricky Tomlinson’s mob.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Royal family, not Ricky Tomlinson’s mob.

Like many other places, the majority of people of the UK can't seem to grasp how to vote in their best interests. Thus, a Tory government, Brexit and if it came to a vote, the royal family.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Like many other places, the majority of people of the UK can't seem to grasp how to vote in their best interests. Thus, a Tory government, Brexit and if it came to a vote, the royal family.
    I wouldn't say it's a definite benefit that we got rid of the royals. Certainly, some things like Eugenie's wedding are an absolute joke, and doing up their houses but others, like having Buckingham Palace etc are probably worth keeping. If the royals didn't live there any more, I don't think anyone would care/would go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I wouldn't say it's a definite benefit that we got rid of the royals. Certainly, some things like Eugenie's wedding are an absolute joke, and doing up their houses but others, like having Buckingham Palace etc are probably worth keeping. If the royals didn't live there any more, I don't think anyone would care/would go.
    Like the buildings in Paris and Rome, you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Like the buildings in Paris and Rome, you mean?
    Maybe, I don't know. VisitBritain reckons that tourism linked to royal residences such as Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle adds up to 2.7 million visitors a year. Brand Finance estimated in 2017 that the monarchy’s annual contribution to the UK economy to be around £1.8bn a year, drawing in an additional £550m of tourism revenues a year, and an increase in trade, from the Royal Family acting as ambassadors, supposedly worth £150m a year.

Now, who's to say that they'd get given similar numbers if they weren't there but they might? I don't think many people think any of the lesser royals (or even the royals themselves) should get the silver spoon treatment they currently get but I'm not sure it's as clear cut as people make out. I don't particularly care either way but I know a great deal of people who do.

Maybe, I don't know. VisitBritain reckons that tourism linked to royal residences such as Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle adds up to 2.7 million visitors a year. Brand Finance estimated in 2017 that the monarchy’s annual contribution to the UK economy to be around £1.8bn a year, drawing in an additional £550m of tourism revenues a year, and an increase in trade, from the Royal Family acting as ambassadors, supposedly worth £150m a year.

Now, who's to say that they'd get given similar numbers if they weren't there but they might? I don't think many people think any of the lesser royals (or even the royals themselves) should get the silver spoon treatment they currently get but I'm not sure it's as clear cut as people make out. I don't particularly care either way but I know a great deal of people who do.
    The roles of royal families and the Heads of State are not primarily to bring in the tourists.

People come for the buildings. It's not like you can meet or even see the royals. They're never there in summer time anyway. I bet more people visit the tower than visit the palace anyway. At least you can go inside.

Oakwood Park has more visitors a year than Windsor Castle. The French seem to manage the Palace of Versailles very well without having parasites living in it. In fact, if there were no royals, tourists would be able to visit a lot more of Buck House than they can at the moment, which would probably attract far more visitors like Versailles does.