+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royal family, not Ricky Tomlinson’s mob.

Royal family, not Ricky Tomlinson’s mob.

If the UK were able to have a Brexit like vote, on whether to keep the royal family or give them the Spanish archer. What do you think the outcome would be.
    Ps. Id be on the give them the elbow side.

Re: Royal family, not Ricky Tomlinson’s mob.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    If the UK were able to have a Brexit like vote, on whether to keep the royal family or give them the Spanish archer. What do you think the outcome would be.
    Polls suggest 3/4 of the UK support the royal family. Even with a margin of error that seems to suggest the UK would vote to keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    It would be a landslide yes. There are things people disagree with but on the whole, the UK population are very much in favour of the royals.

Like many other places, the majority of people of the UK can't seem to grasp how to vote in their best interests. Thus, a Tory government, Brexit and if it came to a vote, the royal family.

We ought to sell them to the Americans.Alaska plus a few trillion.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    We ought to sell them to the Americans.Alaska plus a few trillion.
    Royalty is a like dirty word over here. It's cute for other people to have royal families, but it's not for Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Like many other places, the majority of people of the UK can't seem to grasp how to vote in their best interests. Thus, a Tory government, Brexit and if it came to a vote, the royal family.
    I wouldn't say it's a definite benefit that we got rid of the royals. Certainly, some things like Eugenie's wedding are an absolute joke, and doing up their houses but others, like having Buckingham Palace etc are probably worth keeping. If the royals didn't live there any more, I don't think anyone would care/would go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I wouldn't say it's a definite benefit that we got rid of the royals. Certainly, some things like Eugenie's wedding are an absolute joke, and doing up their houses but others, like having Buckingham Palace etc are probably worth keeping. If the royals didn't live there any more, I don't think anyone would care/would go.
    Like the buildings in Paris and Rome, you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Like the buildings in Paris and Rome, you mean?
    Maybe, I don't know. VisitBritain reckons that tourism linked to royal residences such as Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle adds up to 2.7 million visitors a year. Brand Finance estimated in 2017 that the monarchy’s annual contribution to the UK economy to be around £1.8bn a year, drawing in an additional £550m of tourism revenues a year, and an increase in trade, from the Royal Family acting as ambassadors, supposedly worth £150m a year.

Now, who's to say that they'd get given similar numbers if they weren't there but they might? I don't think many people think any of the lesser royals (or even the royals themselves) should get the silver spoon treatment they currently get but I'm not sure it's as clear cut as people make out. I don't particularly care either way but I know a great deal of people who do.

Maybe, I don't know. VisitBritain reckons that tourism linked to royal residences such as Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle adds up to 2.7 million visitors a year. Brand Finance estimated in 2017 that the monarchy’s annual contribution to the UK economy to be around £1.8bn a year, drawing in an additional £550m of tourism revenues a year, and an increase in trade, from the Royal Family acting as ambassadors, supposedly worth £150m a year.

Now, who's to say that they'd get given similar numbers if they weren't there but they might? I don't think many people think any of the lesser royals (or even the royals themselves) should get the silver spoon treatment they currently get but I'm not sure it's as clear cut as people make out. I don't particularly care either way but I know a great deal of people who do.
    The roles of royal families and the Heads of State are not primarily to bring in the tourists.

The roles of royal families and the Heads of State are not primarily to bring in the tourists. Maybe they should be taken off the current payroll and removed from any meaningful official roles and simply paid a few quid to dress up and thrill the foreign punters.

I think the tourism thing is a misnomer, look how many people visit Versaille.

I don't have a problem with the Royals themselves but if I had a vote I'd vote to get rid of them. **** paying for weddings and renovations when we could be helping homeless people.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think the tourism thing is a misnomer, look how many people visit Versaille.

I don't have a problem with the Royals themselves but if I had a vote I'd vote to get rid of them. **** paying for weddings and renovations when we could be helping homeless people.
    Jesus,you sound like Boris and his 350m for the NHS pledge.

People come for the buildings. It's not like you can meet or even see the royals. They're never there in summer time anyway. I bet more people visit the tower than visit the palace anyway. At least you can go inside.

5.5 million a year visit the palace of Versailles, barely any getti go into Buckingham palace.
    The whole tourism angle is bogus

I dont understand what royalty is tbh.
    At one time long ago in history your family was the strongest and richest...that evolved into some type of blue blood magic.
    utter garbage.Get rid or let them do do charity work for hospitals for kids and cancer.

Like many other places, the majority of people of the UK can't seem to grasp how to vote in NYCBlue's best interests. Thus, a Tory government, Brexit and if it came to a vote, the royal family.
    Corrected for you 😂

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Corrected for you ��
    You're the one that has to live there.

Oakwood Park has more visitors a year than Windsor Castle. The French seem to manage the Palace of Versailles very well without having parasites living in it. In fact, if there were no royals, tourists would be able to visit a lot more of Buck House than they can at the moment, which would probably attract far more visitors like Versailles does.

Let the queen see her stint out and then get rid.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I dont understand what royalty is tbh.
    At one time long ago in history your family was the strongest and richest...that evolved into some type of blue blood magic.
    utter garbage.Get rid or let them do do charity work for hospitals for kids and cancer.
    It's an outdated mediaeval concept which bestows privileges and wealth on one family because their ancestors were the best liars, murderers and cheats during that period.

You're the one that has to live there.
    So 🙄

The majority are wrong in your eyes.
    That's it? Good, we got it 😊

If we didn't have a Royal Family then who would we have as President?

We cant even find anyone decent to be PM let alone find any decent candidates to be an elected head of state.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    If we didn't have a Royal Family then who would we have as President?

We cant even find anyone decent to be PM let alone find any decent candidates to be an elected head of state.
    Keep it as it is with regard to influence and responsibilities but you have to be voted in and it's for a fixed term of 10 years, you can only run for president if you have been a past winner of a British Citizen Award, i.e you have to have done some remarkable work for your local community to qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    So ��

The majority are wrong in your eyes.
    That's it? Good, we got it ��
    Seeing as the majority rely on the National Health Service, adequate policing and fire service and are not really served by military spending, seeing as Wales has received huge investment from the EU, then surely it can be argued that the people have not exactly voted in their own interest?