+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Both in the wrong but who's insurance pays out on this one?

Re: Both in the wrong but who's insurance pays out on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFLA View Post
    What audi, that's a Ford focus and a BMW 1 series
    NO SHIT

Was it Mrs Steve R’s hubby in the Focus ????

If there is a crash and one driver totally admits fault, will their insurance pay the full cost of repair of the innocent car, even if the cost is more than the cars' market value?

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    In cases when one car is speeding (which is 10% of the given speed limit), then they would be at fault.

The reason is because the driver pulling out of the junction would have their made their decision based on the speed limit of the other car.
    I think this may be right although I don't drive and have no idea how this kind of thing works. I've got a long story here which isn't very interesting so I wouldn't bother reading it, it's a bit vague too because it happened 25 years ago but basically I saw a very similar incident to this in Grangetown on the evening of the 1994 World Cup Final.

A car driven by an old man pulled out at a junction and caused a young woman to swerve her car, she had to brake hard which spun the car and then, somehow, she accelerated out of the spin and hit a wall. She may have hit a parked car too, I can't remember. She was screaming hysterically and all the locals came out to look but me and my lad just walked off and I thought nothing more of it really.

Until a few months later that is, when I saw a card in the local newsagents asking if anyone had seen a crash on July 17th. I realised it was the incident I'd seen and rang the number given. Within minutes a young guy was knocking on my door and telling me the story. It was his girlfriend driving the car that crashed but the problem was the car that pulled out was driven by a vicar and he, and the other respectable citizens in his car, were claiming that she'd caused the crash because she was speeding. As I understood it, his version of events was being accepted as the truth and it looked like the girl was going to be held responsible which would cost her thousands of pounds that she didn't have.

I said there was no way she was speeding, my lad was only 5 at the time and I was very conscious of that kind of thing around there, and that the crash was caused entirely by the old guy pulling out into her path. I said I'd be more than happy to write a statement to that effect which I did there and then. The guy was buzzing. He was a City fan and he was making some half-hearted attempts at small talk but he couldn't even sit down. He was just pacing around while I wrote my statement out.

Again, I thought little of it for a couple of months until there was a knock on my door one evening. I opened it and the young couple were standing there with a box of chocolates for my family. Apparently, as soon as my statement went in the vicar withdrew his version of events and admitted responsibility. The pair of them were so grateful, it was a nice moment to be honest. I kind of wish I'd said 'I've just saved you thousands of pounds and all I get is a box of f**king chocolates?' but sometimes you don't think of these things till it's too late.

You never know but perhaps someone will help you one day and not expect to be paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I think this may be right although I don't drive and have no idea how this kind of thing works. I've got a long story here which isn't very interesting so I wouldn't bother reading it, it's a bit vague too because it happened 25 years ago but basically I saw a very similar incident to this in Grangetown on the evening of the 1994 World Cup Final.

A car driven by an old man pulled out at a junction and caused a young woman to swerve her car, she had to brake hard which spun the car and then, somehow, she accelerated out of the spin and hit a wall. She may have hit a parked car too, I can't remember. She was screaming hysterically and all the locals came out to look but me and my lad just walked off and I thought nothing more of it really.

Until a few months later that is, when I saw a card in the local newsagents asking if anyone had seen a crash on July 17th. I realised it was the incident I'd seen and rang the number given. Within minutes a young guy was knocking on my door and telling me the story. It was his girlfriend driving the car that crashed but the problem was the car that pulled out was driven by a vicar and he, and the other respectable citizens in his car, were claiming that she'd caused the crash because she was speeding. As I understood it, his version of events was being accepted as the truth and it looked like the girl was going to be held responsible which would cost her thousands of pounds that she didn't have.

I said there was no way she was speeding, my lad was only 5 at the time and I was very conscious of that kind of thing around there, and that the crash was caused entirely by the old guy pulling out into her path. I said I'd be more than happy to write a statement to that effect which I did there and then. The guy was buzzing. He was a City fan and he was making some half-hearted attempts at small talk but he couldn't even sit down. He was just pacing around while I wrote my statement out.

Again, I thought little of it for a couple of months until there was a knock on my door one evening. I opened it and the young couple were standing there with a box of chocolates for my family. Apparently, as soon as my statement went in the vicar withdrew his version of events and admitted responsibility. The pair of them were so grateful, it was a nice moment to be honest. I kind of wish I'd said 'I've just saved you thousands of pounds and all I get is a box of f**king chocolates?' but sometimes you don't think of these things till it's too late.
    I take two things from that story:

1. So much for a Christian conscious.

2. in 1994, some people struggled to scrape the money together for the price of a meal let alone buy a box of chocolates.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    You never know but perhaps someone will help you one day and not expect to be paid for it.
    Welcome to humour. Of course I didn't think that. No one would, surely? Having seen the distress the girl was in when she crashed and the anxiety levels of the boyfriend when I was writing my statement out I can't tell you how nice it was to see them appear at my door full of smiles. It was a kind and thoughtful gesture to come round and thank me, I'm grateful to this day that they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Welcome to humour. Of course I didn't think that. No one would, surely? Having seen the distress the girl was in when she crashed and the anxiety levels of the boyfriend when I was writing my statement out I can't tell you how nice it was to see them appear at my door full of smiles. It was a kind and thoughtful gesture to come round and thank me, I'm grateful to this day that they did.
    Sounds awful though. It easily could have ended differently. Did you happen to see the programme the other day after the ITV news? They were basically 60 mph crash testing cars from 20 odd years ago compared to brand new ones. The older ones crumbled into a mess where as the new ones absorbed the impact.

Sounds awful though. It easily could have ended differently. Did you happen to see the programme the other day after the ITV news? They were basically 60 mph crash testing cars from 20 odd years ago compared to brand new ones. The older ones crumbled into a mess where as the new ones absorbed the impact.
    I guess this was more evidence that the girl hadn't been speeding, it would have been carnage if she had. I never understood why the vicar's word was being taken as, er, gospel but it seemed to be the case. I also didn't understand why my statement was accepted by the vicar so readily, I could've just been a mate of the girl or her boyfriend, but I never got involved again after giving the lad my statement that day. I assume it would all be dealt with differently these days, the girl shouldn't have had to rely on a massive stroke of luck to get justice back then.

International

I take two things from that story:

1. So much for a Christian conscious.

2. in 1994, some people struggled to scrape the money together for the price of a meal let alone buy a box of chocolates.
    Shirley a box of chocolates would constitute a meal?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Shirley a box of chocolates would constitute a meal?
    Maybe it was spurred on by “Life is like a box of chocolates”, it was released in 1994, so maybe there is a deeper meaning to all this

International

"Life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get next!" (Forrest Gump)